Samsung extends $100 in extra credit to US owners of fire-prone Galaxy Note 7

Posted:
in General Discussion
Looking to soften some of the damage to its brand, Samsung is extending an extra $100 in credit to U.S. Galaxy Note 7 owners willing to exchange the phone for another Samsung device.

People wanting a full refund -- or to exchange for a non-Samsung phone -- are being offered a smaller $25 credit, TechCrunch noted on Thursday. It's not yet clear if Samsung will be making similar offers outside the States -- otherwise Note 7 owners will get their original money back, or the price difference if they choose to exchange.

Samsung's refund and exchange program expanded to Australia and parts of Asia this week as the company officially ended Note 7 production.

Shortly after launching the Note 7 in August, some customers began reporting fires or even explosions linked to the phone's battery. While Samsung tried to fix the situation with a recall, even some of the replacement devices experienced the same problem, leading the company to kill off the product entirely to mitigate costs and the blow to its reputation.

The New York Times recently suggested that Samsung mishandled the recall, finding itself unable to properly diagnose the problem. While it attempted to solve the situation with replacement batteries, the issue appears to have been more complex.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Their brand is shit. When shopping, i specifically avoid anything they make. 
    jkichlinedougdviclauyycalbegarcjbdragonwatto_cobraVanillastarwarsbadmonkbig
  • Reply 2 of 42
    eightzero said:
    Ditto. :)
    jbdragonwatto_cobrabadmonkbigcali
  • Reply 3 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    Hilarious that Samsung/Android fans call Apple customers sheep.

Yet there are many Note7 owners that say they will NOT return their dangerous phone. They say the risk is too small and worth having a Note7.

Talk about blind sheep. These Note7 fans are literally willing to die for their phone.
    This is why I continue to say, this phone should be banned on all public transportation avenues. Why should everyone else suffer because some asshat thinks there really isn't an issue and they're phone starts to catch on a fire in the middle of the flight, or train route? In the US, the FAA/TSA should not be allowing this phone to travel. Its very dangerous not only for the owner, but everyone else around them. 

sog35 said:
    That's not enough for all the crap they had to go through.

And they only get the $100 if they choose another Samsung phone? 

Samsung should be giving each Note7 owner a full refund PLUS a free Samsung phone of their choice.

$100 is not enough for:

1. Stress of owning a phone that is a potential fire hazard
    2. Going through the confusion of the first unofficial recall
    3. Calling the carrier, calling Samsung, calling carrier again
    4. Wasting time going to the retail store, or shipping back to Samsung
    5. Receiving new phone, but having to go through the whole setup again
    6. More stress that the 'safe' phone isn't safe
    7. Going through step 1-4 all over again
    8. Not having a phone for weeks

But what do I know? I never bought a Samsung POS. Maybe their customers expect this type of crap service.

I think its absolute crap they're offering this to people that retain their brand. This is a last ditch effort to keep people from buying other brands (not specifically Apple). They should be given a full refund, free return of their POS, and a $100 credit toward ANY new phone. THIS is how you'll at least try maybe get customers to stick with them. Have the damn confidence that customers will stay, don't force them into it. If I were a Note 7 owner I'd tell them to take their $100 offer and shove it up their ass. 
    pscooter63watto_cobrabigcali
  • Reply 4 of 42
    eightzero said:
    I don't mind the parts they make that go into Apple products but everything else is shit.
    viclauyycwatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 5 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Thanks but big NO. In plain sight, users trust in you Samsung is worth more than $100. I rather return for full refund and get replacement with iPhone 7 PLUS.
    edited October 2016 albegarcwatto_cobrabigcali
  • Reply 6 of 42
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    So, since we already know Samsung spends around $15B yearly on marketing, plus another $5B+ Note 7 write-off already admitted by the company, added to this 'carrot' and other collateral losses...at what point does producing high end phones become unprofitable?
    palomineviclauyycpscooter63watto_cobrabadmonkcali
  • Reply 7 of 42
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    The carriers really need to turn these devices off remotely or not allow them on their networks so that the recall is effective.
    volcanboltsfan17macxpressviclauyycjbdragonwatto_cobraVanillabadmonkcali
  • Reply 8 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    sog35 said:

Yet there are many Note7 owners that say they will NOT return their dangerous phone. They say the risk is too small and worth having a Note7.

Talk about blind sheep. These Note7 fans are literally willing to die for their phone.
    It is not just risk to Note 7 users or their family/friends if riding in same vehicle but if Note 7 fire happens in mid-air bringning plane down is bigger risk they ought not to take. Cost/benefit of innocent lives and air plane itself out ways return/replacement of Note 7.
    albegarcwatto_cobrabadmonkcali
  • Reply 9 of 42
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:

to show how stupid of a decision not to return the phone especially since Samsung and the Carries are all saying to return it and not use it, if something bad happens those people will not have a legal leg to stand on. They are assuming all the risk at that point.
    watto_cobrabadmonkcali
  • Reply 10 of 42
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

to show how stupid of a decision not to return the phone especially since Samsung and the Carries are all saying to return it and not use it, if something bad happens those people will not have a legal leg to stand on. They are assuming all the risk at that point.
    Not only that, they are ensuring even more future flak for Samsung when there is another incident in a few months time. And there will be another. It's almost sure to severely harm the company they worship. Weird stance. 
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry for the disconnect. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Samsung still makes money with this program. 
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 12 of 42
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Samdung
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 13 of 42
    sog35 said:
    That's not enough for all the crap they had to go through.

And they only get the $100 if they choose another Samsung phone? 

Samsung should be giving each Note7 owner a full refund PLUS a free Samsung phone of their choice.

$100 is not enough for:

1. Stress of owning a phone that is a potential fire hazard
    2. Going through the confusion of the first unofficial recall
    3. Calling the carrier, calling Samsung, calling carrier again
    4. Wasting time going to the retail store, or shipping back to Samsung
    5. Receiving new phone, but having to go through the whole setup again
    6. More stress that the 'safe' phone isn't safe
    7. Going through step 1-4 all over again
    8. Not having a phone for weeks

But what do I know? I never bought a Samsung POS. Maybe their customers expect this type of crap service.

At least Samsung is giving something.

Apple charged me 368$ for a faulty LCD screen on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. I specifically had a 2 hour conversation with an Apple saleswoman about my worries of the reports before finally purchasing the macbook. She assured me it was an isolated issue. Yea, isolated to 3 out of 3 macbook pros I tried at various best buys with LG displays. Then my personal 14 months after purchase. That is 4/4 in my pool (again, for LG displays). 

Other than that one time, I have had good runs with Apple. I just find it hard to believe 4/4 is an "isolated incident." The 1 Samsung I found had no issues....... Wish I had gotten a 2012 retina with a Samsung screen........ 368$ cheaper.

edited October 2016 boredumb
  • Reply 14 of 42
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    seankill said:
    The 1 Samsung I found had no issues....... Wish I had gotten a 2012 retina with a Samsung screen........ 368$ cheaper.

I read about that online before I purchased mine. There was a script you could run to identify which LCD panel it had. I had to buy it first and then I ran the script right there in the Apple Store. Fortunately it had the Samsung screen. Had it not, I could have returned it right then. I later read that the higher end configurations all had Samsung screens which is why mine had it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Samsung makes a few good products. They make so much stuff, you can't justifiably say it is all crap, however you can certainly boycott them on principle, but if you have an iPhone though, you probably have some Samsung inside.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jkichline said:
    The carriers really need to turn these devices off remotely or not allow them on their networks so that the recall is effective.
    That's a great idea. I'm flying next week so I hope there aren't idiots with these phones on any of my flights. 
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 42
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:

Agreed, unfortunately that won't really matter to the other passengers who go down in the fiery plane crash.
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 42
    boltsfan17 said:

I'm flying next week so I hope there aren't idiots with these phones on any of my flights. 
    Same here. Most of my flight is over the ocean, so no emergency landings. Makes me nervous since people who chose Samsung phones to begin with have already proven themselves to be idiots.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 18 of 42
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    That's a bribe, not a gift.
    watto_cobramacxpresscali
  • Reply 19 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    volcan said:
    boltsfan17 said:

I'm flying next week so I hope there aren't idiots with these phones on any of my flights. 
    Same here. Most of my flight is over the ocean, so no emergency landings. Makes me nervous since people who chose Samsung phones to begin with have already proven themselves to be idiots.
    If you see a Note7 on a flight, are you supposed to report it to the flight crew? "If you see something, say something"?
    viclauyycwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 20 of 42
    eightzero said:

If you see a Note7 on a flight, are you supposed to report it to the flight crew? "If you see something, say something"?
    The only phones I can recognize are iPhones. Everything else is just "Other".

The last flight I was on they announced that ALL Samsung phones must remain off for the entire flight, not just Note 7. Not sure if they had 100% compliance because everyone in first class had iPhones. Even so, in more than one instance I recall reading about, a Note 7 caught on fire while turned off, including one on a flight.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrastarwarscali