London's renovated Regent Street Apple Store interior shown off in photos

Posted:
in General Discussion
After a year of renovations, the Regent Street Apple store in London is opening on Oct. 15, and members of the press were given a sneak peek of the interior prior to the big day.

In the first stages of the renovation in 2015 and early 2016, the store had been conducting business from the basement, however the shop has been completely shut down since June 13.

Photo credit: AOL/Engadget

The new ground floor renovation has has added 12 trees, and circular sofas for customers. The new upstairs "loft" area houses the "Creative Pros" area of the store, for consultation with Apple experts on specialty software and other business needs.

Apple routinely shuts down and renovates its retail stores, but the Regent Street modifications is much more extensive than other efforts with major structural modifications, facade alteration, and central staircase replacement made on the historic building.
cali

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Hope they have someone to clean the leaves on those huge plants periodically.  In public spaces the dust that gathers is mostly shed human skin cells and they definitely collect on plant leaves.  Decades ago I had a job with an interior plant design company.  I took care of plants in various offices all around Houston.  The plants at the Southwest Airlines Terminal were completely covered in dust every week, which I had to wipe off.  It was much later that I learned of what that dust was comprised. Yuck.

And BTW I don't really like those plants in the store. Too big and seem to be in the way.  And just wait until the plants get aphids or scale on them (which they will).  Then you get a rain of excreted, sticky honeydew in the area below the plant.  Won't that look great on the screen of an iPad or the keyboard of a MacBook.  I'm betting those plants will be gone in a year.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Love the trees. 
  • Reply 3 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love the trees. 
    I am not sure about the trees. Generally plants in stores and restaurants end up looking tired imo. I also don't really like the leather clad seats much, though I guess the fact that the pots are round shows that Apple is committed to the shape, as in MacPro. The pots could equally have been squares with rounded corners and with wooden seats.  But I am more surprised by the lighting. I am surprised that the colour temperature is not reflecting the outside light to mimim a glass topped ceiling / roof. It certainly would have photographed better and I wonder if it also would have made for a 'lighter' experience if the transition from outside to inside did not include a transition from blue to yellow, as it were.

Love the new stairs and the giant screen, though.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Talking to employees the trees actually get swapped every 3-6 months or so and get taken to a sanctuary somewhere.

The fabric lighting panels are by Philips and do adjust depending on the ambient lighting. The lighting in general at this store is really nice, walked past last night they have spots angled on the trees so that the shadows created by the leaves are projected onto the pillars and floor around
    irelandcali
  • Reply 5 of 24
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Now we wait on pictures from the future staff (of the 'interior' no doubt).
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ethereal said:
    Talking to employees the trees actually get swapped every 3-6 months or so and get taken to a sanctuary somewhere.

The fabric lighting panels are by Philips and do adjust depending on the ambient lighting. The lighting in general at this store is really nice, walked past last night they have spots angled on the trees so that the shadows created by the leaves are projected onto the pillars and floor around
    That sounds good. Changing the trees so they can either get some love is a good way to keep them fresh. The lighting looks a little yellow compared to the exterior in the photos but I'll take your word for it :smile: 
  • Reply 7 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Beautiful.

Two adjustments I'd make: a plain painted metal piece instead of the tacky flag logo. I'd add more minimal glazing to accentuate those arches and provide an even greater appearance of transparency and openness.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 8 of 24
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 
    I also don't really like the leather clad seats much, though I guess the fact that the pots are round shows that Apple is committed to the shape, as in MacPro. The pots could equally have been squares with rounded corners and with wooden seats. But I am more surprised by the lighting. I am surprised that the colour temperature is not reflecting the outside light to mimim a glass topped ceiling / roof. It certainly would have photographed better and I wonder if it also would have made for a 'lighter' experience if the transition from outside to inside did not include a transition from blue to yellow, as it were.
    There are four floors above that ceiling so glass makes no sense. And I love those pots. Btw the shape has nothing to do with the Mac Pro, it's a flower pot with seats not a computer. The pots are circular as it's a more elegant and efficient shape. The trees also provide fresh air, life and nature, literally.
    edited October 2016 cali
  • Reply 9 of 24
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    ireland said:
    Beautiful.

Two adjustments I'd make: a plain painted metal piece instead of the tacky flag logo. I'd add more minimal glazing to accentuate those arches and provide an even greater appearance of transparency and openness.
    Probably neither of those things would be allowed since it likely a historic building.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    volcan said:
    ireland said:
    Beautiful.

Probably neither of those things would be allowed since it likely a historic building.
    The had four huge Apple logos there before. And the windows are new, not protected. I'm reasonably confident both those suggestions would be allowed. 160 episode of Grand Designs under my belt ;-)
    edited October 2016 ethereal
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 
    I also don't really like the leather clad seats much, though I guess the fact that the pots are round shows that Apple is committed to the shape, as in MacPro. The pots could equally have been squares with rounded corners and with wooden seats. But I am more surprised by the lighting. I am surprised that the colour temperature is not reflecting the outside light to mimim a glass topped ceiling / roof. It certainly would have photographed better and I wonder if it also would have made for a 'lighter' experience if the transition from outside to inside did not include a transition from blue to yellow, as it were.
    There are four floors above that ceiling so glass makes no sense. And I love those pots. Btw the shape has nothing to do with the Mac Pro, it's a flower pot with seats not a computer. The pots are circular as it's a more elegant and efficient shape. The trees also provide fresh air, life and nature, literally.
    Who mentioned glass? Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I thought the light should be colour balanced to match the exterior ambient light. I thought it was warmer, but apparently it isn't. 
    Flowerpots needn't be round. Do you really think their shape is incidental? Apple is all about design as you know, and nothing in the Apple Store is incidental. 
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ireland said:
    Beautiful.

The flag is a holdover from the earlier design. They updated it to Gold on White, from White on Black.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ireland said:
    Beautiful.

The flag is a holdover from the earlier design. They updated it to Gold on White, from White on Black.
    It looks like they've weighted the flag this time, which is good, because the previous flag was often a sorry sight, scrunched up and limp.  Not so keen on the white and gold, but it's alright.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 
    Who mentioned glass? Perhaps I didn't make myself clear - I thought the light should be colour balanced to match the exterior ambient light. I thought it was warmer, but apparently it isn't. 
    Flowerpots needn't be round. Do you really think their shape is incidental? Apple is all about design as you know, and nothing in the Apple Store is incidental. 
    That's twice you've read my posts incorrectly. You responded to my posts saying both those things probably wouldn't be allowed—I mentioned glass. You responded to that post, so you responded to my mentioning glass. And where did I say the flower pot shapes were incidental? I said they were circular for design reasons, as circular is a more beautiful and efficient shape.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 
    That's twice you've read my posts incorrectly. You responded to my posts saying both those things probably wouldn't be allowed—so I mentioned glass. You responded to that post, so you responded to my mentioning glass. And where did I say the flower pot shapes were incidental? I said their were circular for design reasons: circular is a more beautiful and efficient shape.
    What is the correct reading?

The ceiling clearly has glass panels, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 
    That's twice you've read my posts incorrectly. You responded to my posts saying both those things probably wouldn't be allowed—so I mentioned glass. You responded to that post, so you responded to my mentioning glass. And where did I say the flower pot shapes were incidental? I said their were circular for design reasons: circular is a more beautiful and efficient shape.

The ceiling clearly has glass panels, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    I mentioned the glass windows and those ceiling panels are fabric light panels by Philips not glass. Seriously, people.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 

I mentioned the glass windows and those ceiling panels are fabric light panels by Philips not glass. Seriously, people.
    Oh really?  They look like glass to me, my apologies.

It wasn't clear that you were talking about windows, when you were replying to a post that only mentioned a glass ceiling.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    paxman said:
    Love the trees. 

Oh really?  They look like glass to me, my apologies.

It wasn't clear that you were talking about windows, when you were replying to a post that only mentioned a glass ceiling.
    I'm referring to post 7. In post 8 I set him straight for why a glass ceiling makes no sense with 4 floors above the ceiling. The two adjustments I said I'd make were to the windows and the flag, to minimise and clarify both further. He further suggested I said the flower pot shapes were incidental, however I said no such thing. Before stating why I felt they were circular I said the reason wasn't what he suggested, that Mac Pro was also circular. The correlation is absurd.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 19 of 24
    The new gold  Apple logo is used at the Lone Tree, Park Meadows store.  It is on the interior wall to right as you look at the store.  Think of the gold MacBooks logo and make it store size.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    What is up with Apple removing the white Apple logo from the new stores? Also ... the glass staircases are all disappearing too?