Facebook adds Apple TV & Chromecast support to Web and iOS videos

Posted:
in iPhone
Facebook on Thursday officially rolled out support for streaming videos to an Apple TV or Google Chromecast, making it easier to watch them on bigger screens.

The option is currently available on the Web and through the Facebook iOS app. Android-to-Chromecast support is coming "soon," the social network said said. Facebook often prefers debuting new features on iOS.

Videos can in fact be pushed to any display device that supports either AirPlay or Google Cast. To stream people need to find a video they want to watch and hit the TV symbol in the top right corner, which will open a menu with nearby target devices.

Facebook noted that TV streaming won't interrupt browsing the News Feed on the original device, and that when watching live material, both comments and reactions will appear on top, as usual.

Some people may have already had access to the Cast/AirPlay feature, but it's now accessible to everyone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Facebook imploys some of the worst video compression technology imaginable.
    zroger73
  • Reply 2 of 7
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Going after Alphabet by taking steps to make YouTube less relevant. Good job.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Now, how about a Facebook app for the Apple TV?

(And, an Amazon Prime Video app for the same? I know - pipe dream.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    This feature is completely borked for me – it's trying to send video to an Airport Express audio-only Airplay device! Did anybody in FB actually test it?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    zroger73 said:

Apparently the Amazon app is coming, unless I'm misremembering.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ireland said:
    zroger73 said:

Apparently the Amazon app is coming, unless I'm misremembering.
    I believe it was stated some months ago that Amazon has had an Apple TV app ready to go, but Amazon and Apple couldn't agree on terms. I rarely watch anything on Amazon Prime, anyway, but it would be nice to have on the rare occasion I do without having to resort to a silly workaround like using the Amazon Prime app on my iDevice and sending it to my Apple TV via AirPlay.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I am not an Android fan, but when it comes to Chromecast, Google is killing it. And killing the god awful Roku and equally awful Apple TV.
    Chromecast had become ubiquitous while the Apple TV is weird ass thing no one wants.  
    No one wants to enter another weird "UI", they just want to press play on their phone and see it play on their TV. Whether it be web content or Hullu or Netflix

The more apps that support chromecast the better.
     i know that like Roku,
    Apple has been sleeping on Apple TV and its turned into an even more niche "experiment" than ever before. They better  get on the ball and offer a competidor to the chromecast or fire stick soon. Those awful little set top boxes with terrible remotes are not the future. 
    edited October 2016