BMW's 2017 5 Series Sedan to be first car with support for wireless CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
BMW on Thursday took the wraps off its upcoming 5 Series Sedan, and in doing so announced the model will be one of the first cars to boast Apple's wireless CarPlay infotainment solution when it ships in February.

As is the German automaker's wont, the new 5 Series Sedan comes crammed with loads of technology serving both the driveline and in-cabin creature comforts. Inside, optional assisted driving modes, adaptive cruise control, a heads-up display, and voice and gesture control meet what could be the first shipping iteration of wireless CarPlay.

"And smartphone integration has been further improved - from Apple CarPlay (which, in a first for a carmaker, has been incorporated fully wirelessly), to inductive phone charging and the WiFi hotspot for up to ten devices," BMW says.

CarPlay links to BMW's iDrive system, which in the 5 Series throws telephone, navigation, entertainment and car function information onto a central 10.25-inch touchscreen. Drivers interact with the system via the iDrive Touch Controller, voice commands, gestures, or direct taps on the screen. While left unmentioned in the press release, it is assumed that CarPlay takes over part or all of the widescreen display when activated.

Unlike traditional CarPlay iterations, the version set to debut in next year's 5 Series is completely wireless, meaning users can take advantage of available iOS 10 features without fumbling for a Lightning cable. Alongside wireless CarPlay, buyers can add on options like a Wi-Fi hotspot and a Qi-based inductive phone charger (iPhone users can buy an official BMW wireless charging case for their iPhone 5/5s and 6/6s models).

After years of going without, BMW finally jumped on the CarPlay wagon in May when it announced plans to roll out two vehicles with support for Apple's infotainment augmentation.

BMW isn't the only automaker looking to integrate wireless CarPlay into its lineup. Volkswagen, for example, was ready to showcase the technology at CES in January, though Apple reportedly nixed those plans.

Wireless CarPlay debuted in a beta version of iOS 8 last year, later arriving as an official feature in iOS 9. Like the original wired CarPlay system, Automakers have been slow to adopt the wireless technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... inductive phone charging and the WiFi hotspot for up to ten devices," BMW says.
    I believe the inductive charger can be removed in BMW models that have it.  (Maybe not the new 5er.)
    If so, we can snap them back in when the iPhone "7S" is released next year.
    (Inductive charging, front/rear glass panels, etc.)
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 2 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Ordered one....nope...wait for M5.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Untrue.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    YaVolt
  • Reply 5 of 32
    This is strange. I just picked up my 2017 M240 and CarPlay works wirelessly. I know I have the newest version of idrive, makes me wonder if it's the same as the one they are talking about here. 
  • Reply 6 of 32
    My 2017 BMW X5 works wirelessly . . . not sure why this article is saying the new 5 will be the first?? I also have the inductive charger (though useless with my iPhone) in the console.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I love my BMW 5-Series GT, and was waiting for arrival for CarPlay before getting the next one.

Now that it's here, it feels like too little, too late. The interior styling and engine has remained largely identical for nearly five years years, yet prices have gone up 15%-25% in the past couple of years (despite the dollar appreciating). Even the exterior styling -- except for the nice-looking set of headlights -- is identical to my 2013 model. Essentially, it looks the same, has the same engine and horsepower, but for a substantially higher price tag. Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

I think I'll pass. It may be time to switch brands. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs :) 
    fotoformatzoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

I'm ordering an E-Class in the next couple of weeks but am frustrated that I can't find anything about CarPlay on the MB website and the salespeople don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I bring it up. The issue is, I don't know if I need to add something to gain the CarPlay functionality or if it will be standard. 
    I don't want to find out too late that I needed some silly option that I didn't realize was missing. 

When we we bought our SUV from the same dealership two years ago they thought I was talking about Bluetooth calling. Literally knew nothing about CarPlay, even though MB had "signed on". 

Aside: another point of frustration is Disctronic (adaptive cruise control) is supposedly backordered. Meanwhile, a co-worker just bought a new Ford Explorer with adaptive cruise control and CarPlay and had no issues. 
  • Reply 10 of 32
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs :) 
    Should I really piss you off and let you know I paid cash for my M240? I wanted it, I saved for it, I bought it.. wrote a check.
    cornchipchia
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

I'm ordering an E-Class in the next couple of weeks but am frustrated that I can't find anything about CarPlay on the MB website and the salespeople don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I bring it up. The issue is, I don't know if I need to add something to gain the CarPlay functionality or if it will be standard. 
    I don't want to find out too late that I needed some silly option that I didn't realize was missing. 

All the "Build Your Own" sections clearly tell you if the vehicle offers CarPlay not. Just look carefully at the detailed listings under each of the the sections, especially when you get to the 'technology and entertainment' part. (For example, I've been looking at the GLE43 Coupe, and it lists CarPlay as standard.)

If it doesn't mention CarPlay as either being standard or as an option, it probably means that it is not available. For example, it seems to be not available in the GLC models when I took a look. 
  • Reply 12 of 32
    ZooMigo said:
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs  
    Should I really piss you off and let you know I paid cash for my M240? I wanted it, I saved for it, I bought it.. wrote a check.
    You didn't pay cash if you wrote a cheque , but no, you won't piss me off in the slightest. Its your money and I love cars (and mc's, too), and completely get it. I have driven sports cars on a track (guided by an accomplished driver), and it's probably the most fun I have ever had. So I get car fetishes, but generally speaking putting money down on a new car does not financial sense. Specially not a comuter type car. 

Edit: Just read a review of the m240 and sounds like fun to drive, no question. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 13 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Carplay support is getting much better and 2017-18 will be year when most car manufacturers will add Wireless Carrplay in it's intended solid(not half backed) form like this article describes. "Telephone, navigation, entertainment and car function information onto a central 10.25-inch touchscreen. Drivers interact with the system via the Touch Controller, voice commands, gestures, or direct taps on the screen. CarPlay takes over part or all of the widescreen display when activated." Moreover, remote car door open/close/status; built-in Wifi in car talks to your phone to help you locate car in parking lot,etc Very useful functions are slowly available in newer cars and carplay can play major role in better and faster adoption.
    I wish Honda,Toyota,Subaru,Ford,GM,etc starts adding solid Carplay support to all of their popular models like upcoming 5-series
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 14 of 32
    paxman said:
    With kids and dogs, you don't need another bottomless pit ;-)
    aylkchia
  • Reply 15 of 32
    anantksundaram said:

If it doesn't mention CarPlay as either being standard or as an option, it probably means that it is not available. For example, it seems to be not available in the GLC models when I took a look. 
    That's it.  I was only looking at C-Class and E-Class and apparently neither of them are currently offering CarPlay support.  Although, I read a review somewhere about the 2017 E that specifically said MB would be supporting CarPlay in it.  I guess that isn't the case.  It doesn't help that the sales staff either don't know OR are more inclined to push mbrace.

Also, we had briefly considered either a GLE or GLS but I don't want to have 2 SUVs at the same time (my wife gets a new vehicle every two years and I take her hand-me-downs.  She's currently driving an ML and I'm driving a 535. So now I'll get rid of the 535, which I really like, and take the ML and she will get the new E.  Two years from now I'll take the E and we'll replace the ML with a new SUV).  Looking at those now, neither of them lists CarPlay as an option either. So everything I was looking at didn't mention CarPlay at all and searching for "CarPlay" gives no results on their website.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    paxman said:
    Buying a brand new car is like dropping 5 grand or more down a bottomless pit in exchange for a few approving nods and the shortlived satisfaction that you can afford it. (Which for all I know you couldn't, anyway). The flip side to my disdain for chucking money out the window is that features like CarPlay will have to wait. I paid 10 grand for my XC70 with 100,000 clicks on the clock. It should easily do another 100 before I sell it, and it still looks pretty damn new. Well, almost. I have kids and dogs  
    I spend quite a bit of money on cars, and seeking "approving nods" or "short-lived" satisfaction that I can afford it is given no thought. Your post is utterly silly as there are many reasons why someone might buy a luxury vehicle if they are fortunate enough to be able to. Don't be dismissive of others because you can't or choose not to do the same.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 17 of 32
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    BMW is pissing off a lot of 2016 owners who have iDrive 5 as they so far are mum on an upgrade. the iDrive 5 system has what is required, except the software. It is upgradable, but no word if or when.

I'd pay a fair price for it, as it is a pay option now on the 17 models.But to not offer it is bad business.

I just had my car in for service yesterday, and when dropping it off, my service advisor laughed when I asked. He said they had over 200 requests and the Brainless Bavarians remain silent.

• Reply 18 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I love my BMW 5-Series GT, and was waiting for arrival for CarPlay before getting the next one.

Now that it's here, it feels like too little, too late. The interior styling and engine has remained largely identical for nearly five years years, yet prices have gone up 15%-25% in the past couple of years (despite the dollar appreciating). Even the exterior styling -- except for the nice-looking set of headlights -- is identical to my 2013 model. Essentially, it looks the same, has the same engine and horsepower, but for a substantially higher price tag. Meanwhile, companies like Mercedes Benz (solid implementation of CarPlay), Volvo (solid implementation of CarPlay), and Jaguar (poor on the CarPlay front) have made huge design strides. 

It's how it drives, not look. Volvo or Jaguar is boring. Benz is ulgly with curved design lately. For driving dynamics, no competitor can beat the "Ultimate Driving Machine ".
  • Reply 19 of 32
    thrang said:
    paxman said:
    I spend quite a bit of money on cars, and seeking "approving nods" or "short-lived" satisfaction that I can afford it is given no thought. Your post is utterly silly as there are many reasons why someone might buy a luxury vehicle if they are fortunate enough to be able to. Don't be dismissive of others because you can't or choose not to do the same.
    I don't really mean to be dismissive, but very often buying a new car is not really a great way to spend money from a purely financial pov. You can rationalize it all you want, and sure, you may be able to afford it so it doesn't matter, but the truth is that spending 75 grand or whatever on a car is a little silly. But don't be defensive - all you have to tell me (should you care to) is that you LOVE it and I'm all in. I may tell you you are nuts but I will probably love your car all the same. I just bought myself a brand new motorcycle. Silly, I know, and yes, I could have gotten a beautiful used BMW or some such for less than half the price, but I fell in love and that was that. I can tell you all sorts of bullshit about resale value etc, but it was a luxury straight up. 
  • Reply 20 of 32

sog35 said:
    paxman said:
    You know what else is like dropping 5 grand down a bottomless pit?

Buying a high mileage car and a year latter finding that you need replace the engine because the previous owner abused it.
    Buying a used car is dodgy, I know. From that perspective I totally get buying new. But generally a high mileage car is not necessarily a problem. A high mileage car that has done highway miles and been maintained according to the book, is likely a better car than one that has been used for short journeys with half the mileage. So a newish car with high miles can be a very good deal. Most of the wear on a car happens when the engine is cold, so many short journeys are bad news.

I always thought the best way to buy a car would be to buy an end of lease car in Florida. One that an older person have been running for three or four years. The roads are good, the weather is good, and if it is a high end model you likely have someone with money who has had it well maintained. The mileage is probably quite low and they likely have not been trashing it. I have never done it but it sounds like a good plan to me :)