Video: 5 reasons to upgrade to iPhone 7

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple spent a year packing a raft of improvements into iPhone 7; AppleInsider spent the past few weeks boiling down which of those matters most. Here are five reasons why you should consider upgrading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Since the last Safari "upgrade" these vids won't play - I get "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available"...
    But if I click the YouTube icon, it'll play there in HTML5...Anyone else having this?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    boredumb said:
    Since the last Safari "upgrade" these vids won't play - I get "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available"...
    But if I click the YouTube icon, it'll play there in HTML5...Anyone else having this?
    I had that issue. For me, it turned out to be some sort of conflict with the Click-To-Flash extension, likely due to the fact that Safari now has Flash blocking built-in. Turning off the extension worked.
    boredumblostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 36
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I won't because I despise the way the new home button feels
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I have the 7 Plus. Having moved from the 6s Plus I am liking very much the speed of the unit and the new camera functions
    doozydozenwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 36
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    boredumb said:
    I had that issue. For me, it turned out to be some sort of conflict with the Click-To-Flash extension, likely due to the fact that Safari now has Flash blocking built-in. Turning off the extension worked.
    Thanks - I'd noticed the difference in Click-to-Flash but hadn't thought of just offing it.
    On the other hand, uninstalling it didn't work, either.

edited October 2016 alla elfandi
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Even though it surprises myself to write this, but the real revolution is the Taptic Engine. It makes the iPhone come alive and communicate in a completely new way. Every Smart Phone relied strongly on your eyes so far, so people wanted the old phones back where you could blindly do some things. This new direction really adds something to it. 
    Like 3D Touch the challenge is the software but I think this is the future deal breaker. It's hard to communicate for a company like Apple, because you have to feel it to understand it's importance, but if I had made my top 5 list it would have been

1. Taptic Engine
    2. Water resistant
    3. Dual Camera (yes I know only Plus model)
    4. That darkness and brightness the screen supports
    and far off
    5. The speed. It makes using it a breeze and gives me confidence the iPhone is still worth something when iOS 12 comes out (and I probably Upgrade again).

Btw. I noticed how many sites made dedicated articles about the Taptic Engine and all my friends consider it the change. Did it really not touch you guys after your month of usage? If not take an "old" iPhone 6s, it will feel dead in your hands
    alla elfandiboredumbdoozydozenwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Did it really not touch you guys after your month of usage? If not take an "old" iPhone 6s, it will feel dead in your hands
    I totally agree with this. For the other comment about how the home button feels, you really need to understand for the minimum difference in the "feel," you gain a world of difference in interaction with your phone. The sliding action, the scroll box, the toggle switches, etc, etc, everything comes alive. I hope Apple continue to improve on the taptic feedbacks and make them more sophisticated over time. This is really a unique feature on iPhone and it is only the beginning.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    The new home button is great, especially in regards to double click actions - i.e. opening the app carousel. I found this action to be somewhat annoying on the older models when rapidly switching between apps. Yes, these are first world problems - point is it's a nice improvement.
    napoleon_phoneapartdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    levi said:
    ...point is it's a nice improvement.
    Yes, it is. I played with an iPhone 7 at an Apple store and it worked very well. MUCH nicer than a mechanical Home button. And double- and triple-clicking (for Zoom and Magnify) were much more easily accomplished than with the previous Home button.

While there I also used the Magic TrackPad 2 and had the same observations. Setting the Taptic response to Light and turning off Tap to Click made the TrackPad much more efficient to use, with no accidental misfires I have with the original MTP.  I'm a big fan of Taptic response and that will be one of the big reasons to move on from my 5s.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    dougd said:

Took some getting used to, but I find it comfortable now - I'm totally used to it, and it seems an elegant solution besides. 

I've also become a 3D Touch addict.  ;)

Maybe give it another chance. 
    doozydozenexsangusdreyfus2nolamacguywatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 36
    dougd said:
    I only upgraded because of T-Mobile's free trade-up program. While waiting for my phone to arrive I tried it at the store, and had the same reaction as you.

After it arrived, it took about a day and I started to really like it, better than the old home button, even. The Taptic Engine adds a lot to the overall experience as well. 

All in all, I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the iPhone 7, and I am happy to say that I was totally wrong to be. The iPhone 7 is the best phone I have ever used. And, as an engineer who tests pretty much every phone that comes to market, I think that's saying something.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Another wonderful detail is with the glossy Jet Black finish, which is very grippy in hand as apposed to the slippery quality of the matte finishes for the rest of the lineup. Now, I have much more confidence when handling the iPhone without a case. Makes a huge difference!
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    I upgraded from an iPhone 6. The differences I noticed, 1) Better camera 2) Image stabilization 3) Much better display 4) Taptic engine love it as much as my 2015 Macbook Pro. Can not go back to the button. 5) Faster (obviously)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Another wonderful detail is with the glossy Jet Black finish, which is very grippy in hand as apposed to the slippery quality of the matte finishes for the rest of the lineup. Now, I have much more confidence when handling the iPhone without a case. Makes a huge difference!
    I knew that the Jet Black finish wasn't slippery, because I remember reading that a while back, but I didn't know that the Jet Black is actually less slippery than the Matte finishes, like you're saying. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

I haven't actually been to an Apple store recently, so I haven't gotten to hold any of the new iPhone 7s yet in my hand.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 36
    apple ][ said:
    I knew that the Jet Black finish wasn't slippery, because I remember reading that a while back, but I didn't know that the Jet Black is actually less slippery than the Matte finishes, like you're saying. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

I haven't actually been to an Apple store recently, so I haven't gotten to hold any of the new iPhone 7s yet in my hand.
    My matte black Plus is like a bar of soap. The jet black finish is much more grippy.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My matte black Plus is like a bar of soap. The jet black finish is much more grippy.
    I guess that each one has its pros and cons:

Pros: Jet Black more grippy
    Cons: Matte more slippery

Pros: Matte more scratch resistant
    Cons: Jet Black less scratch resistant, or scratches are more easily seen

Apple even has a disclaimer on their site about scratching and the Jet Black model.

I'm not in the market for a new iPhone right now, but I'd probably choose the Jet Black model, because I don't really care about a few scratches, and I like how that model is more grippy. I was actually surprised to find out that it's more grippy than the matte models. You'd think that the opposite would be true.
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 36
    If you are thinking of getting a new  phone and your in the Apple ecosytem you only need one reason:
    Its the newest and best iPhone.
    doozydozenwatto_cobralostkiwilolliver
  • Reply 18 of 36
    If you are thinking of getting a new  phone and your in the Apple ecosytem you only need one reason:
    That's two reasons!  >:)

sometimes I'm just in the mood to be an ass 
    edited October 2016 singularitywatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 19 of 36
    That's two reasons!  >:)

sometimes I'm just in the mood to be an ass 
    lol are you the spanish inquisition?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 36
    One reason not to upgrade to the iPhone 7.  It's ugly.