Apple investigation of employee-led photo sharing ring finds no purloined customer data

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's investigation of allegations levied against employees at an Australian Apple store has determined that no customer data had been stolen, but the employees said to be at the center of the photo-stealing ring aren't off the hook for other misdeeds.

"We are investigating a violation of Apple's business conduct policy at our store in Carindale, where several employees have already been terminated as a result of our findings," Apple said in a statement. "We have seen no evidence that customer data or photos were inappropriately transferred or that anyone was photographed by these former employees."

The company's comment stops short of saying that the fired employees were blameless of all the accusations levied against them, however -- just that they hadn't taken customer data.

The fired workers workers allegedly took over 100 "close-up and explicit" photos on their own, and distributed the images to other Apple Stores in Queensland, reports claimed on Wednesday.

"One person would take a photo and add it to the chat and others would give the person or their butt or their boobs a rating out of 10 and they would add their own side commentary," an Apple staffer from the Carindale Apple Store in Brisbane said on Wednesday. "Everyone feels uncomfortable and the female staff don't know how to feel because the leadership won't tell staff who is involved."

Queensland police are requesting that members of the Apple Store staff, or customers who believe their privacy has been violated to file a report. No charges have been filed, as of yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think a firing is too lenient. Apple should take legal action against the guilty employees.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichfotoformatrobertwalterbrakkenviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ireland said:
    I think a firing is too lenient. Apple should take legal action against the guilty employees.
    More publicity would probably be more damaging to the company name than just cleaning house and moving on.
    mike1
  • Reply 3 of 13
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    ireland said:
    Unfamiliar with Australian law but my question is, is there a specific law about taking a picture from someones computer/phone?  It may fall under an existing law that is not so specific.  Also, is taking a photo of a person in public and sharing it against the law?  Now, even if neither is specifically against the law, I would consider both unethical at an individual level and especially when it is done not as a private party but someone that was acting in an officially capacity as these Apple employees were.

As a repair tech, it is highly unethical to go through client data when working on a machine outside of wor specifically requested by the user.

So, do they face legal action or action based on unethical practice?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Apple's public comment leaves the impression that it hasn't gotten to the bottom of the story yet, or isn't revealing all that it knows. So maybe another shoe will drop on this story.

I hope employees at other Apple stores become aware of this matter, so similar activities don't occur elsewhere. These children-pretending-to-be-adults have no respect either for their employer (Apple) or its customers. Until they get counseling, they aren't fit to work with the public.

If a police complaint is filed and arrests are made, we will have an opportunity to read more about these "men" in newspapers and on Facebook. Their names and faces will become public, all around the globe. Then, they will get what is coming to them. (Actually, maybe a little more than what's coming to them.)

Due largely to iPhone and the mobile computing revolution, those who behave like perverts in public will publicly become known as perverts. Not so much among strangers, but by their families and acquaintances. Their children and grandchildren will be able to Google it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    "The company's comment stops short of saying that the fired employees were blameless of all the accusations levied against them, however -- just that they hadn't taken customer data."

Hate to be the picky one, but... the statement doesn't say this. It just says evidence has not been found.

AS @stantheman suggests, I think Apple hasn't yet finished this.. 

• Reply 6 of 13
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    If I were Apple mgmt, I'd shut down the entire store.
    And maybe give it Samsung with a year's free rent.
    And hand each of those jerks to the police after deleting their Apple ID's.
    And post their faces and addresses online.

Stupid jerks need to be publicly outed and made an example of.
    Australia is fast becoming a bigger shit-hole than the US.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

ireland said:
    Completely agree. This behaviour embarrasses me to be the same species.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    brakken said:

ireland said:
    ahh.. while it's unethical, people have their photo's taken all the time in public.. Security cameras, vacation photos, just trying the camera in the store.. The issue really is what they were doing with the photos and if any real legal action can be taken.. other than firing them. Which I think would be a shaky proposition. Unless their is some form of direct harassment it would likely not go anywhere other than a slap on the wrist ... and loss of their job.. which the ladder has already happened.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    brakken said:

ireland said:
    The article states "several employees have already been terminated" that sounds much worse than being fired.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Wasn't there a story last year of Apple Australian store employees involved in some racist behavior? 

Is there a pattern developing here?

see http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34795059
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 11 of 13
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    smiffy31 said:
    brakken said:

ireland said:
    The article states "several employees have already been terminated" that sounds much worse than being fired.
    You're thinking of "terminated with extreme prejudice". That is indeed quite different.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    larryjw said:
    Wasn't there a story last year of Apple Australian store employees involved in some racist behavior? 

Is there a pattern developing here?

see http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34795059
    Race was likely not the compelling factor there - Australia is considerably diverse and does not have the USA-media hum that associates skin colour with crime. One of the strangest things for me to hear here is when friends visiting from the USA say things along the lines of: "girls don't cling to their bag when they see me coming." As for this photo-sharing ring: treat it for what it is - it's pretty obvious that Apple didn't seeking out or encourage this behaviour.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 13 of 13
    first world problems.   who gives a shit.

If someone takes my photo, shares it and rates inside a small private circle and I never know about it. Then what do I care. Its such a NON event.

but ohh lets get all outraged about nothing, just because. 

Truth be told the "ring" is more than likely a handful of young stupid men, doing stupid stuff young men do. Their only mistake was doing it using modern means instead of sitting outside watching the girls walk down the beach while commentating as men have done since forever before they mature. 

Social Justice is so fucked up.
    tallest skil