AT&T adds iPhone screen repair service for monthly insurance plan subscribers

Posted:
in iPhone
AT&T's Mobile Insurance plans are expanding, with a cracked screen repair service being added to the program for recent iPhones and three Android models -- but at additional cost.

Apple's phones able to be serviced under the extension include the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. The cracked screen repair service is available to subscribers to Mobile Insurance, Multi-Device Protection Pack, Mobile Protection Pack for Business, and the vanilla Mobile Protection Pack service.

On top of the monthly fee, users must pay $89 for the service. Same-day screen repairs are performed in most areas and most situations, include a one-year warranty, and are done by Asurion-trained technicians.

The program is launching in 15 markets on November 15, in Allentown-Bethlehem, Penn.; Boston, Mass,; Chicago, Ill.; Los Angeles, Calif.; Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Philadelphia, Penn - Wilmington, Del.; Pittsburgh, Penn.; Sacramento, Calif.; San Diego, Calif. San Fransisco - Oakland, Calif.; St. Louis, Mo.; Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.; and West Palm Beach, Fla. The program will expand to 29 more markets on Dec. 1.

AppleInsider has been told that the iPhone 7 line will be added to the program as soon as sufficient materials and training programs exist for the service. AT&T notes that it may use new or refurbished parts, and may not necessarily include parts manufactured by Apple in any of its repairs.

AT&T device insurance plans start at $8 per device, per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

and may not necessarily include parts manufactured by Apple in any of its repairs.
    Sounds great!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I tried to get a replacement iPhone 6 from Asurion earlier this year.

First one, the home button didn't work, the casing was a cheap replacement, the seals were easily too large so the joints looked terrible. Second one was even worse, with the Lightning port no longer flush, the rear microphone having been replaced with a much larger unit, and the screen didn't sit flush in the casing, so you could press down on it to get it to flex.

I think I'd pass on any Asurion replacement parts, if I had AT&T.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I really don't understand why anyone would do anything other than Apple's own yearly rental contract with AppleCare+ ... $29 for screen repair.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    After having AT&T screen insurance for about 6 months, the net cost of a screen repair will have exceeded the price of having no insurance and just paying cash at an Apple Store. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Not to mention that it could void your warranty thru Apple if they break anything or damage anything while replacing your screen. 

Plus they don't calibrate the display like Apple Store does. If they screw up the 7 display and you get liquid damage, are they going to replace your phone? I doubt it. 

Cant wait for their Samsung battery service to take off. Explosive growth potential. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    What a car crash. And they don't tell you that you'll get refused service at an Apple Store if you've had a third party repair. Doh!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    jd_in_sb said:
    After having AT&T screen insurance for about 6 months, the net cost of a screen repair will have exceeded the price of having no insurance and just paying cash at an Apple Store. 
    Correct. Totally not worth it unless you are AT&T...