Apple issues fourth public & developer betas of iOS 10.1 with Portrait photos for iPhone 7 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Monday seeded a fourth iOS 10.1 beta to registered developers, as well as the general public -- potentially the final beta before the update is officially released.

Developers already on the 10.1 track can download the new beta as an over-the-air update. Otherwise, they'll have to go to Apple's developer portal to download it. Everyone else must be registered with Apple's Beta Software Program.

It's not clear what changes are in the new code, but Apple is likely extremely close to finishing the update, since it rarely issues more than four betas for a point release, if that many.

iOS 10.1 is mostly expected to clean up bugs missed in 10.0.2 and 10.0.3. Among these are problems with CallKit, preventing call-directory extensions from working reliably.

The main feature, though, will be a promised Portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus. The technology takes advantage of the Plus' twin cameras, identifying a subject then artificially blurring the background to simulate bokeh.
ajgaspard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    full release, now please.  :p
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Public Beta out now as well.

Also, here's a photo in portrait mode. Not too bad.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

That's actually the least attractive photo I've seen using this feature. The blur doesn't make any sense optically.  
  • Reply 4 of 9
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Please, bring back star ratings in iOS music app!
    foggyhillunbeliever2tyler82doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dacloo said:

That's actually the least attractive photo I've seen using this feature. The blur doesn't make any sense optically.  
    Seriously, the text is sharp in the front row but the frames are blurry? I had hoped for much better.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    woodworks said:
    dacloo said:

Seriously, the text is sharp in the front row but the frames are blurry? I had hoped for much better.
    If you look closely, the pannels not straight, that means some lettering would also blur in real life with such a shallow depth of field
    so,it's the lettering that's weird optically
    make the field so shallow is causes the artifact, they should probably make it adjustable eventually
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 9
     For those looking to see how good this affect can be, I have taken some photos of my bird and family dogs. It's quite awesome if done with the proper lighting. I can't believe it takes such nice pictures without any editing or filters.

It is truly amazing how much character the photo gains with this effect  

(I added this cat pic to show what it looks like if you don't allow bokeh effect to process properly or if you have a shaky hand or subject. Notice the cats ears and how the edges are blurred. Again this only happens with a shaky hand or subject and as you can tell below the other photos are amazing ) This last photo is the first breakfast my father had cooked for me in 25 years. (Long story as he was a hoarder and he moved to a new house where it was possible for us to finally have a home cooked meal together, so I took a photo of the meal) 

Notice the glass near the texture of the chair. Still amazing. 
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Here's an original photo of one of The dogs with out the effect (the phone takes two photos when the portrait effect is used) for comparisons. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 9
    An interesting effect when taking photos of plants in Portrait Mode. Thin stems simply disappear, giving the photo a surrealist appearance.

tallest skildoozydozen