Samsung sets up Note 7 exchange booths at airports around the world

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung is now running exchange stations at airports around the world, hoping to catch any lingering Galaxy Note 7 owners before they get onboard a plane with the phone -- something that's now prohibited or outright illegal in some instances.

While Samsung initially set up booths at South Korea's Incheon airport, there are now ones at several major Australian airports such as Sydney, Melbourne, and Gold Coast, CNET said. These will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time at "high-traffic" terminals, according to Samsung, the one exception being Canberra, which will shut down exchanges two hours earlier.

Samsung said that it's planning to set up stations at airports in other countries as well. A tip to AppleInsider -- confirmed by Twitter posts -- claimed that the company is already setting up stations at U.S. airports, where people can exchange their Note on the spot or at least submit their info to run an exchange as soon as possible.

Samsung has a team of representatives at SFO to help customers with the Note7 phone. It's banned from US flights. pic.twitter.com/2IiEcg6hsU

-- Sergio Quintana (@svqjournalist)

A number of airlines around the world have banned the Note 7 from flights. The U.S. government has actually made it illegal to bring the Note 7 on airplanes, citing the potential fire hazard.

Samsung is recommending that people return or exchange Note 7s at the original point of purchase, but the exchange stations could prevent frustration for people who are only learning of the flight bans right before a trip, or would have to fly to reach that point of purchase.

Originally intended to be a challenger to Apple's iPhone 7, the Note 7 has instead proven a disaster. Though first reactions were positive, dozens of battery fire incidents soon sprang up around the world. The company attempted to fix the situation with a recall, but subsequent fires forced the company to kill the product outright, something that will cost it billions of dollars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Nothing like a good Reminder going to the airport that you can't take that bomb with you onto the plane!!! Talking about the on going bad press at this kind of thing continues. It's going to drag on and on for quite some time turning people off even more from wanting to buy any new Samesung phone.
    magman1979lostkiwicaliviclauyyclolliverMal_Rjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 45
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Samsung had tables set up & helping customers at ORD - O'hare in Chicago.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 4 of 45
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    Smart move. If someone finds that they can fly with their device but can get a new Samsugg galaxy on the spot, more may do this than get money back and switch brands. 
    macgui
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Apple should have a booth there, too, for exchanging Note 7 with iPhone 7. 
    edited October 2016 melodyof1974peterhartcalichialolliverMal_R[Deleted User]watto_cobraapres587
  • Reply 6 of 45
    1st1st Posts: 443member

a bit tricky if sammy doing data transfer on spot... can't do that using iphone... just wondering if they do the data transfer and set up for new replacement?  if they do, that is impressive (just see how many app people download it... move to a new phone is not that easy on the "flight", even they are similar platform - droid). 
  • Reply 7 of 45
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    birko said:
    Smart move. If someone finds that they can fly with their device but can get a new Samsugg galaxy on the spot, more may do this than get money back and switch brands. 
    not sure i follow that...

i think this is more about ensuring samsung doesn't get sued for a kajillion dollars if one of their bombs brings down a jetliner full of people.
    edited October 2016 pscooter63badmonkchialolliverjony0watto_cobraapres587
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Should have named it Supernova instead of Galaxy.  
    melodyof1974argonautpeterhartSpamSandwichpalominelostkiwibadmonkcalichiatyler82
  • Reply 9 of 45
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    1st said:

a bit tricky if sammy doing data transfer on spot... can't do that using iphone... just wondering if they do the data transfer and set up for new replacement?  if they do, that is impressive (just see how many app people download it... move to a new phone is not that easy on the "flight", even they are similar platform - droid). 
    Easy... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios&hl=en
    pscooter63calilolliverapres587
  • Reply 10 of 45
    jkichline said:
    1st said:

Easy... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios&hl=en
    I attempted using Move to iOS for a friend who recently switched from a Galaxy 5-something to iPhone 7. It took over 3 hours. The app is not useful when moving large amounts of data.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Nope. It's not Apple's fault, and Apple shouldn't have to pay for Samdung's blunder. Also, any given Samdung customer should recognize the value of Apple's product enough to both switch and pay full freight for Apple, otherwise they can continue to stew in their own juices, as the saying goes.
    edited October 2016 magman1979caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Should have named it Supernova instead of Galaxy.  
    I don't know. I think the "Big Bang" is more suitable.
    palominepscooter63calilolliverwatto_cobraapres587
  • Reply 13 of 45
    This is a great service for anyone who goes to the airport with a Note 7. But why would someone do that?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    This is a great service for anyone who goes to the airport with a Note 7. But why would someone do that?
    That's what I was thinking too.  The only scenario this makes sense is at an international concourse where people are arriving from countries which have not yet banned flying with the Note 7.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    What about people that are on extended vacation/business trips that got caught in-between the ban? I've read stories where people had to discard new phones with no way to get credit/exchanges. As bad as Samsung has been during the botched recall, this is good on their part.
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 45
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    People who discover this problem at the airport should have an opportunity to simply get their money back, since they can't take the phone onboard, and there probably won't be time to move all their data.
    magman1979ronncalilolliver
  • Reply 17 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Just the thought of someone checking-in a bag with a Note7 sends chills down my spine.  I'm more concerned about one of these phones catching fire in the cargo hold than I am in the cabin where at least the flame can be managed.

Scary stuff. 

That being said, the amount of money Samsung is losing (i.e. "Schadenfreude") far exceeds anything that Apple could have won back in all the lawsuits combined.  I'm relishing every moment of Samsung's pain.  They certainly deserve it.
    magman1979calilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 45
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    if you need a booth in an airport to tell you that your GN7 needs to be exchanged, you are the type of fool that buys a GN7.
    magman1979caliviclauyyclolliver[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What a mess. It's like they're embarrassing themselves on purpose
  • Reply 20 of 45
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    The even bigger problem now (for them and their customers) is that crews can't really tell the devices apart. Multiple reports from people who had their non-Note Galaxys or non-7 Notes taken away. The official(?) captain's announcement on Lufthansa does not refer to the Note 7 in particular, but to Samung Galaxy mobiles in general...

This is the biggest fuck-up in the history of the modern smartphone; still, the coverage is clearly below "Antennagate" levels. At least we do know now what it takes to get Samsung to provide any personal customer service at all. (My sister's Edge - dead on arrival - is shipping back and forth since release day, now has been returned two times as "repaired" without even turning on. Just don't buy anything from these clowns.)
    lollivernolamacguywatto_cobra