Apple Pay picks up 24 more US banks & credit unions plus British Airways bookings

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday added another 24 banks and credit unions to the list supporting Apple Pay in the U.S., filling in an increasingly small set of coverage gaps. British Airways, meanwhile, introduced limited support for the the platform in its iOS app.

As has become standard, the expanded U.S. compatibility concentrates on regional institutions, some operating in a single city. Most national banks were onboard by early 2015, not long after Apple Pay's official debut in Oct. 2014.

The full list of additions includes:

• BankLiberty
  • CinFed Credit Union
  • Cumberland County Federal Credit Union
  • Denmark State Bank
  • Family Security Credit Union
  • Franklin Savings Bank
  • Gates Chili Federal Credit Union
  • Great River Federal Credit Union
  • Greenfield Banking Company
  • Heritage Community Credit Union
  • Labette Bank
  • Lake Trust Credit Union
  • Michigan Educational Credit Union
  • Natco Credit Union
  • Neches Federal Credit Union
  • Old Point National Bank
  • Peach State Bank & Trust
  • Pioneer Bank (incl. New Mexico and New York)
  • River City Bank
  • Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution
  • SELCO Community Credit Union
  • Shell Federal Credit Union

• Shrewsbury Federal Credit Union
  • The Mission Bank

The British Airways iPhone app now offers Apple Pay for booking flights. At the moment, however, this is limited to flyers in the U.K., who must also pay with Visa or MasterCard. More card types will be supported in the future, the airline said.

The main issue in growing Apple Pay has been less bank support (Australia notwithstanding) than merchants. A number of apps, websites, and retailers do support the platform, but many still don't -- particularly in the U.S., where retailers have been slow to upgrade point-of-sale terminals with the NFC technology required for in-person transactions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    It's amazing how many different banks and credit unions exist in the US.
    chialolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    ...and mine still doesn't support Apple Pay.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’m tired of hearing which banks support Apple Pay. My bank supported it almost from the beginning but to this day  the merchants I can actually use Apple Pay with has not changed much.

Walgreens - yes
    Walmart - no
    CVS - no
    Macy’s - yes
    McDonald’s - yes
    Home Depot - no
    Most Mom&Pop stores - NO
    Most gasoline service stations - NO

It is quite clear that NFC systems (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc.) are not catching on with merchants or the public. Why I don’t know. Cost? Perception? Fear? Resistance to change? 

• Reply 4 of 8
    lkrupp said:
    I’m tired of hearing which banks support Apple Pay. My bank supported it almost from the beginning but to this day  the merchants I can actually use Apple Pay with has not changed much.

Walgreens - yes
    Walmart - no
    CVS - no
    Macy’s - yes
    McDonald’s - yes
    Home Depot - no
    Most Mom&Pop stores - NO

It is quite clear that NFC systems (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc.) are not catching on with merchants or the public. Why I don’t know. Cost? Perception? Fear? Resistance to change? 

I hear you on this. Definitely been slow going here. Oct of last year was suppose to cause a boom in places upgrading/updating to NFC terminals but it never came to fruition. Even some that did upgrade, ended up adding chip readers and still bypassing adding/activating NFC. 

I will say there has been some progress though. Chevron & Exxon/Mobile take Apple Pay. One inside and the othe through the SpeedPass app. Home Depot's around me do have NFC enabled (So FLA) and I have been suprised at the number of smaller stores accepting it. Several have added support in last few months, mostly through the new ApplePay readers sold by Square. Seen it at a local gourmet popcorn shop, La Granja, local coffee shop, dinner, food trucks, and bounce house/indoor playground place. 

Main holdouts I'm waiting on are Target & Publix. I couldn't care less if Walmart ever got it. I try to avoid that place like the plague. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Apple Pay is still practically nowhere to be seen at retail POS in France... Apple seems to have Supply covered. Demand, not so much yet...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It's amazing how many different banks and credit unions exist in the US.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. How do Americans choose between them? Are there any outstanding ones, or are they pretty much all the same (rather like UK banks)?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    lkrupp said:

Walgreens - yes
    Walmart - no
    CVS - no
    Macy’s - yes
    McDonald’s - yes
    Home Depot - no
    Most Mom&Pop stores - NO

I agree with the major merchants refusing to give up their control of customer information by allowing Apple Pay but I'm finally seeing an up tick in small merchants using Apple Pay including some in the middle of nowhere. I think Square has a lot to do with this since many small merchants are going with Square's POS system, which includes Apple Pay and has the same cost for all four major credit cards. Even stores that sell low-end type goods are now accepting Apple Pay. I still have to explain what I'm doing when i use my iPhone at many of these but those that have added it in the last few months are finally training their cashiers on its use. I could care less about Walmart but would like to see Costco take it. They don't even take chipped cards, which is ridiculous. They now only take any Visa card in the US and MasterCard in Canada so there shouldn't be an issues with using Apple Pay. I know Costco got great rates from Visa for changing from Amex but Apple really doesn't charge that much so what's the big deal? To all the other large merchants, grow up and start doing something your customers wants instead of forcing all kinds of advertising on them.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rob53 said:

I agree with the major merchants refusing to give up their control of customer information by allowing Apple Pay but I'm finally seeing an up tick in small merchants using Apple Pay including some in the middle of nowhere. 
    Me, too. I've found a bunch of small places that accet Apple Pay and sometimes don't realize it. A pizza shop a half mile away, the veterinary where we take our dog, my gym, to name just a few. Lately I've been seeing the adoption of a payment terminal that is moslty white, has a customizable touch screen, has a built in chip reader and accepts NFC. Every time I see that unit I've tried Apple Pay and it has worked. 

Also, a local supermarket chain (Big Y) has been accepting Apple Pay for a couple of years. They had big signs at all their terminals for at least 6 months. Recently they were in the news when it was discovered that 5 of their terminals had CC skimmers on them. I already tell people to use Apple Pay at Big Y, now there's an even better reason.