Amazon Channels may beat Apple to offering cable-like experience

Posted:
in General Discussion
Amazon's Channels program -- which allows Prime subscribers to sign up for otherwise separate video services through a single platform -- is proving surprisingly popular with streaming partners, and could evolve into a live TV service before Apple reaches that point, a report hinted on Tuesday.

In its first year Channels has been a real success, Amazon video VP Michael Paull told The Information. Networks and services were originally said to be skeptical about partnering with a competitor, but some of them now count Amazon as their biggest avenue for selling subscriptions.

Evan Shapiro, an executive with NBCUniversal, commented that Amazon has done a particularly good job marketing to customers who want to keep all their billing and consumption within Prime. As an added bonus, Channels is said to make it possible to deploy to new platforms faster.

Notably, Amazon has also reportedly been talking to TV networks about creating a bundle of live TV channels, similar to Sling TV or PlayStation Vue. Paull refused to comment on the topic, but argued that he doesn't see Amazon as luring cord-cutters away from cable.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a live TV service for years, but has so far failed to gain any traction in talks with service providers. This may be because of hardline negotiation tactics, including low-balling potential partners -- even Disney, with which Apple has close corporate ties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Why the hell would a cable like experience be good, swapping one bill for another, except that co collects my shopping history 

the he article is full of mays and looks like pr stock pump play
    nolamacguycaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Poor Apple. I'm not going back to cable. Sorry. I'll just use hulu and netflix. I don't even watch TV like that. i have the shows I like and thats it. 
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I really see no need for Apple to provide the service directly. Providing the platform is good enough. They really don't need to jump into every arena just because they can or someone else has decided to.
    anomelolliver
  • Reply 4 of 31
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I thought google was supposed to beat Apple with a tv service...this same story has been going on for the last two years
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I live in an area where OTA reception of local channels is very weak. Unless I can get my local channels I am simply not interested in any Internet TV service. I will keep my basic cable service and maybe Hulu and Netflix. That’s it.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    so a rumored amazon offering that doesn't yet exist may beat a rumored apple offering that also doesn't exist, possibly because of apple low-balling possible partners. yyyyeah....
    lollivercalijay-tRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    For starters Apple can separate movies from iTunes and brand it as Apple Video (to go along side Apple Music, Apple Pay) and somehow allow us to pay monthly for unlimited access to the entire iTunes movie catalog even if they have to drop some new releases (which we could just buy or rent).
    I still can't believe with Apple's talent in branding/marketing that movies are a subcategory of iTunes (what does tunes have to do with video?) Create an Apple Books, Apple Cloud and rebrand the entire iTunes
    edited October 2016 cali
  • Reply 8 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    Another sad example of TimCook dragging his feet
    Sell your stock and shut the hell up already. 
    lolliverstompycalijony0jay-tbrucemcpropoddick applebaumRayz2016palomine
  • Reply 9 of 31
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    so a rumored amazon offering that doesn't yet exist may beat a rumored apple offering that also doesn't exist, possibly because of apple low-balling possible partners. yyyyeah....

But don't you see? Apple are losing in the imaginary marketplace! Their imaginary stock price might suffer.

Actually, come to think of it, their imaginary stock price is pretty much the same as the real stock price.

lollivercalijay-t
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Don't care if the story is right or wrong or it has holes, but Apple really needs to do something in this regards. Apple really has to take advantage of their very good platform. They have lined up all the ducks, but seems like there is no bullets in the gun. The last thing we need is to have Amazon surpass Apple.
    calidavenTlemieux72
  • Reply 11 of 31
    The amount of jobs cord cutting will kill will be unmeasurable. All those pointless stations I have never watched that skim cents per month from my cable bill will be cut. So sad.
    berndog
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Recently cancelled my prime membership.  Too many shoddy goods.   Not really interested in their other offerings. 
    davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I dont think Apple's 30% cut on subscription content is ever going to work. It worked on the App economy because it basically invented that economy, (Yes before you shout Apple didn't invent App and App Store, you cant argue it was Apple that put the whole ecosystem together along with money within it.)

For Subscription there just isn't a 30% margin. Apple could only get through this by introducing their own Music / TV Subscription, which pass those 30% cut back to themselves. Their competitor will never be able to win.

I have been thinking if Apple should provide the streaming bandwidth for any video subscription on its platform . It doesn't mean they should have their own network infrastructure, they could rent from others, but this way Apple gets to ensure the quality of these services. And Apple will win with the scale they are buying those bandwidth. It makes that 30% cut easier to bite.
    Tlemieux72
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Tlemieux72Tlemieux72 Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    adonissmu said:
    Poor Apple. I'm not going back to cable. Sorry. I'll just use hulu and netflix. I don't even watch TV like that. i have the shows I like and thats it. 
    Guess you don't watch sports..watching the NLCS right now and that's not possible without cable.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What Apple wanted to do, Dishnetwork Sling and Playstation Vue already did. Amazon is basically following trend already established by other two.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Where is Amazon Video on ATV?!  :(  
  • Reply 17 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Another sad example of TimCook dragging his feet
    Don't think so. Beside local channels and live sports, I don't see people want to subscribe to any service. The new way to watch TV is streaming the shows you are interested in and you can do that thru iTunes, Netflix or Hulu. Subscriptions are still bundled in some way because you don't watch everything in the channel but only certain shows. I hope one day, streaming can be done just like current movie purchases: shows are available to stream on the day they're aired...btw, I haven't had TV subscription for 2 years and didn't miss it. I got OTA antenna and Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO from Xfinity internet. Once in a while, purchase movies on iTunes for weekend movie nights....
  • Reply 18 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Apple isn't really excelling at anything anymore. It has rapidly become a boring, hollow brand with no real vision.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    But I'm sure Apple has amazing stuff in the pipeline.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Where is Amazon Video on ATV?!  :(  
    It's sitting right there next to the Spotify app...  ;)
    nolamacguy