Apple to debut new Macs at Oct. 27 event, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Soli said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    Useful, yes, but less needed with a USB-C connector when compared to Apple's pre-MagSafe power connectors.

Also, if we're talking about USB-C, a universal port interface, there's no reason not to expect multiple 3rd-parties creating offering a simple solution. This will also have the added benefit of allowing all notebooks, regardless of the vendor, the option of a magnetic power cable.
    I just see this as misguided in that MacSafe built in wouldn't require additional invention added on and would ship with this current breakaway technology that works perfectly well. And I don't give two about other vendors. Regardless of battery life I'd rather have MagSafe, as during charging it's still superior and a computer with any battery life can die at any time. So the only argument left making is now you can change from either side of the machine, but at that I'd still prefer MagSafe.
    edited October 2016 baconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:

Soli said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    Useful, yes, but less needed with a USB-C connector when compared to Apple's pre-MagSafe power connectors.

Also, if we're talking about USB-C, a universal port interface, there's no reason not to expect multiple 3rd-parties creating offering a simple solution. This will also have the added benefit of allowing all notebooks, regardless of the vendor, the option of a magnetic power cable.
    I just see this as misguided in that MacSafe built in wouldn't require additional invention added on and would ship with this current breakaway technology that works perfectly well.
    Again, it's not as compelling a feature as it once was. It's like Jailbreaking or a Mophie battery case for iOS and iPhone, respectively. Each are still viable to certain people, but changes have made both less necessary for the majority. Your argument is like saying that Apple should include a case with every iPhone simply because plenty of people use one—and the percentages of people using a case far outstrip those needing MagSafe when charging via USB-C on a machine with an all-day battery.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

Soli said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.

I just see this as misguided in that MacSafe built in wouldn't require additional invention added on and would ship with this current breakaway technology that works perfectly well.
    Again, it's not as compelling a feature as it once was. It's like Jailbreaking or a Mophie battery case for iOS and iPhone, respectively. Each are still viable to certain people, but changes have made both less necessary for the majority. Your argument is like saying that Apple should include a case with every iPhone simply because plenty of people use one—and the percentages of people using a case far outstrip those needing MagSafe when charging via USB-C on a machine with an all-day battery.
    Your argument is truly weak on this one. You're not making a good case. Frankly I don't think you're making sense.
    edited October 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 76
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

Soli said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.

Your argument is truly weak on this one. You're not making a good case. Frankly I don't think you're making sense.
    If you fail to understand how the connector affects the ability to pull down laptop by tripping over its cord, how 10–12 hours v 2–3 hours of battery life affects the requirement to be plugged in, and how this already exists in the MacBook (meaning, it's no longer a hypothessis that I had 5 years ago about how Apple could eschew MagSafe from future notebooks) then, as usual, you're not going to understand a damn thing. Try to use sme critical thinkng and look at the fucking issue from beyond your personal needs and history of using a notebook with differnet technology. I'm not even asking you to look at it from Apple's PoV as I know from experience that is literally impossible for you to grasp, but at least try to look widen your view of technology a little bit.
    edited October 2016 jahaja
  • Reply 25 of 76
    I think I have wood....
    macky the macky
  • Reply 26 of 76
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Doodpants said:
    It had better not just be laptops; their desktop Macs are also in dire need of a refresh. I'm itching to replace my 2010 Mac Mini, either with a new Mac Mini or an iMac.
    longpath said:
    I surely hope the Mac Pro sees an update at this event. My boss thought I was making it up when I mentioned that currently shipping Mac Pro cylinders are still the 2013 model, with no major upgrade in 3 years.
    Apple doesn't want us to replace an old Mini with a better Mini, they've got other plans for us.  They could sell a ton of well appointed Minis but, alas, it's not what they do.  They'll continue to shortchange the Mini and Mac Pro.  When they decided the Pro market wasn't worth satisfying software-wise they should have just closed the door on any Pro hardware teases.   Mac Pros especially had such a blazing introduction followed by crickets for three years.  Why bother keeping either in the catalog if they're not at least getting the kinds of updates enough to keep them attractive?  Great boxes, but their prices don't reflect the cobwebs on them either.

canukstormentropyspalomine
  • Reply 27 of 76
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

Soli said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.

If you fail to understand how the connector affects the ability to pull down laptop by tripping over its cord, how 10–12 hours v 2–3 hours of battery life affects the requirement to be plugged in, and how this already exists in the MacBook (meaning, it's no longer a hypothessis that I had 5 years ago about how Apple could eschew MagSafe from future notebooks) then, as usual, you're not going to understand a damn thing. Try to use sme critical thinkng and look at the fucking issue from beyond your personal needs and history of using a notebook with differnet technology. I'm not even asking you to look at it from Apple's PoV as I know from experience that is literally impossible for you to grasp, but at least try to look widen your view of technology a little bit.
    You're trying to argue that a breakaway power connector is only "viable" for "certain people" because these magic new MacBook Pros will hardly ever actually be plugged in.  That's just absurd.  Yes, people are less likely to pull their laptop to the floor if the battery life is much longer, but that's like saying if cars were 3 times safer we could stop wearing seat belts.  
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Soli said:
    You're trying to argue that a breakaway power connector is only "viable" for "certain people" because these magic new MacBook Pros will hardly ever actually be plugged in.
    Don't be a dumbass. How does all-day battery life equate to hardly in your world? Do you hardly ever plug in your phone even if you can go a full day or even two on a charge? Your inability to understand how the design of the port interface plays a role in why the MacBook doesn't have MagSafe and instead uses USB-C says a lot. Again, if you want more battery life or more casing protection, or anything else for you buy it, but you're an asshat if you say, "I want this feature so Apple should include it automatically. I'm sure most people want it and I'm sure it fits into Apple's plans simply because I want it." Keep telling yourself that. Repeat after me: "It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me." If, come 27 Oct, Apple does remove MagSafe from the MacBook Pro you can vote with your wallet by not buying a Mac, or you can realize that you're being silly and deal with the coming changes in a mature way.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 29 of 76
    For my usage case, I would rather have the extra USB-C port than a dedicated charging port. If you need it, Griffin has a solution. Let's move on.
    Solitrydfrumious
  • Reply 30 of 76
    For my usage case, I would rather have the extra USB-C port than a dedicated charging port. If you need it, Griffin has a solution. Let's move on.
    [image]
    1) Interesting that it looks like only 3 pins, whereas MagSafe has 5 so that it can rotate the connector without requiring the port interface HW to be intelligent.

2) Even those that is a perfectly viable solution at a reasonable cost, people are going to complain that they have to pay at all and that it sticks out too much. I'm so sick of the whiners.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 31 of 76
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    And it comes in Space Black!!!! Yeah.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    macxpress said:
    ireland said:
    RIP MagSafe.

Such a useful invention.
    Yes...in a school its been an absolute life saver and everyone always asks me why other companies don't do this. I'm sure they'll have some stupid BS reason why we don't need it anymore. Something like well it has 15 hrs of battery so you shouldn't need to charge it during the day. 
    Yeah. Magsafe is ace.. I can imagine schools, like you said. Thunderbolt 3/ USB 3.1 though is ace too. And I can see why they're moving into this direction.
    And your 15 hours of battery comment is probably in line with how they would argue. I think one work-day is their goal. 10 hours? But then.. if you're working with video, photos, post production, layout, music, playing games etc. it'll probably only last for 2 hours as usual.  :neutral: 
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I keep my MBP plugged in most of the time, and my dog rips the power out about 3 times a day. It will be interesting if there is no MagSafe.

On another note, although it's unlikely, I'd be so stoked if they released a new monitor at the same time. I've been shopping for one and can't find anything I like to replace my Apple thunderbolt. 
  • Reply 34 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yes, the Mac line certainly does need to be updated...   But to what?   A little faster, a little brighter, a few more bells & whistles -- maybe new color?

Essentially, the Mac line is nothing more than any other PC/Laptop -- just with an Apple OS.   Regardless of what Apple does hardware wise, the Apple OS and infrastructure is its only real distinguishing feature.   Otherwise, its just a dressed up version of my 6 year old Lenovo Thinkpad.

Steve Jobs distinguished his products by a simple rule:   they made people's lives better.
    With the Mac line Tim Cook will need to meet that same high bar.

I don't think Apple will be able to meet the bar that Jobs set until it is able to integrate and merge the IPad line with the Mac line.   Microsoft made a noble attempt at doing that -- but they failed.   Apple has all the necessary technical pieces to make it work but they seem to be holding back -- perhaps because they want to milk both product lines as long as possible before they merge them?

Until they do that, I can replace my 6 year old Lenovo Thinkpad I7 for 10-20% the cost of MacBook Pro and, since they do pretty the same things the same way, I'll take my money and use it for other cool things...  Maybe a new IPhone or IPad.

In short, what I am saying is that no laptop and no desktop (including Apple products) have progressed very far since the days of Windows 2000...   They've gotten a bit faster, brighter with bigger harddrives and they come in different colors.  But essentially they are just "new & improved" versions of the same ol'.   Nothing to make people's lives any better...   And, what I don't need is another "new and improved" $2,000 machine that will be forced into obsolescence after 5-6 years.

canukstorm
  • Reply 35 of 76
    longpath said:
    I surely hope the Mac Pro sees an update at this event. My boss thought I was making it up when I mentioned that currently shipping Mac Pro cylinders are still the 2013 model, with no major upgrade in 3 years.
    I have a feeling that they will get rid of Mac Pro altogether. Which would be sad as it's great machine.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    I would love it if they would even just improve the specs on the Mac Pro just a little bit, just so we know they haven't completely forgotten it, it would be so easy, they could put a couple engineers on it for a week. Come on.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    jibberj said:
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I keep my MBP plugged in most of the time, and my dog rips the power out about 3 times a day. It will be interesting if there is no MagSafe.
    You're not alone.  More and more people are using laptops as desktops, so this is a very common scenario (perhaps without the dog specifics).
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    You're trying to argue that a breakaway power connector is only "viable" for "certain people" because these magic new MacBook Pros will hardly ever actually be plugged in.
    Don't be a dumbass. How does all-day battery life equate to hardly in your world? Do you hardly ever plug in your phone even if you can go a full day or even two on a charge? Your inability to understand how the design of the port interface plays a role in why the MacBook doesn't have MagSafe and instead uses USB-C says a lot. Again, if you want more battery life or more casing protection, or anything else for you buy it, but you're an asshat if you say, "I want this feature so Apple should include it automatically. I'm sure most people want it and I'm sure it fits into Apple's plans simply because I want it." Keep telling yourself that. Repeat after me: "It's not about me. It's not about me. It's not about me." If, come 27 Oct, Apple does remove MagSafe from the MacBook Pro you can vote with your wallet by not buying a Mac, or you can realize that you're being silly and deal with the coming changes in a mature way.
    LOL.  "Don't be a dumbass ... deal with the coming changes in a mature way."  Perhaps maturity includes engaging in reasonable discourse?  Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else.

I don't get your anti-MagSafe vitriol.  You appear to be going to absurd lengths to minimize it's value as a feature.  The only way it wouldn't be a useful feature is if the computer is rarely plugged in, so I assumed that's what you were getting at with your "10-12 hours" comment.  But you agree that laptops are plugged in a lot of the time (and therefore are liable to be pulled off a desk a lot of the time).

I'm not talking about the MacBook. I thought we were discussing the yet-to-be-announced MacBook Pro.  Of all the trade offs to be made, it's hard for me to see the benefit of merging a USB port and the power port into a single port--for the MacBook Pro.  First, it's not at all clear that this would save any internal space, and if it does we're talking about a tiny amount of space.  If part of the argument is that Apple can add a BUNCH of ports (which has never been a priority for Apple before) if they can double up, I don't buy that either.  If you're going to plug 3 or 4 things into your MacBook Pro at the same time, you're obviously settling in for some real work and will need power as well.

I'm fine with Apple making radical changes.  I buy their argument for ditching the headphone jack for the iPhone 7.  But if they remove MagSafe from the MacBook Pro, I hope they don't try to pitch that as a feature (instead of a regrettable loss for some other compelling reason).
  • Reply 39 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    LOL.  "Don't be a dumbass ... deal with the coming changes in a mature way."  Perhaps maturity includes engaging in reasonable discourse?  Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else.

I don't get your anti-MagSafe vitriol.  You appear to be going to absurd lengths to minimize it's value as a feature.  The only way it wouldn't be a useful feature is if the computer is rarely plugged in, so I assumed that's what you were getting at with your "10-12 hours" comment.  But you agree that laptops are plugged in a lot of the time (and therefore are liable to be pulled off a desk a lot of the time).

I'm not talking about the MacBook. I thought we were discussing the yet-to-be-announced MacBook Pro.  Of all the trade offs to be made, it's hard for me to see the benefit of merging a USB port and the power port into a single port--for the MacBook Pro.  First, it's not at all clear that this would save any internal space, and if it does we're talking about a tiny amount of space.  If part of the argument is that Apple can add a BUNCH of ports (which has never been a priority for Apple before) if they can double up, I don't buy that either.  If you're going to plug 3 or 4 things into your MacBook Pro at the same time, you're obviously settling in for some real work and will need power as well.

I'm fine with Apple making radical changes.  I buy their argument for ditching the headphone jack for the iPhone 7.  But if they remove MagSafe from the MacBook Pro, I hope they don't try to pitch that as a feature (instead of a regrettable loss for some other compelling reason).
    The benefit would be that Apple only has to offer one cable for everything on the MacBook, and the customer only has to carry one cable. If while charging, you need to plug in a hard drive to access something, you can just unplug he cable from the charging brick and plug it into the drive. So there's that. Arguably not a deal breaker, but something I'd welcome, along with only having to carry one charging brick for use with all of my gear.

It also means that every port on the MacBook can be utilized for anything. I think the folly of the single function headphone jack on the Retina MB highlights that, despite Apple's claims that no data ports are necessary in the rMB. Need a 5th Data port temporarily? No problem, just unplug the charger and plug in that thumb drive.

And finally the thing that sold me was the yank test I performed at an Apple Store on the 11" MBA, which surprisingly, watchful Apple Store employees let me do. A sudden yank on the MagSafe cable pulled that MBA right off the table without disconnecting. As the MB gets ever lighter, MagSafe loses its effectiveness, while having enough strength to stay reliably connected. So the trade-off becomes an ineffective dedicated power port vs. greater versitility and convenience in a lighter more compact package.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, while I will miss many aspects of MagSafe, I'm willing to trade them for what I see are improvements.
    palomine
  • Reply 40 of 76
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    as of 2016-10-20 10:44 am, there is still no "invitation" email reported. I doubt there will be an event at all. Could be just briefing to individual reporters and bloggers?