'Hello again:' Apple sends invitations for event on Oct. 27, new MacBook Pros expected

Comments

• Reply 41 of 142
    Umm can we get a iPad Pro 12 refresh please perhaps with a pencil that's actually, you know, like not towering out of my shirt pocket or might idk actually have some way of attaching the thing to the iPad itself IJS....
  • Reply 42 of 142
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Jet Black.  Please.
    Will settle for matte Black.
    Will grudgingly accept Space Gray.
    Done with silver.
    doozydozenandrewj5790calitallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 142
    vukasika said:
    Umm can we get a iPad Pro 12 refresh please perhaps with a pencil that's actually, you know, like not towering out of my shirt pocket or might idk actually have some way of attaching the thing to the iPad itself IJS....

No sorry. Do one.

All of you iPad people get out. You've been having updates galore for ages. Have some sympathy for us waiting for ... well pretty much every single Mac model to be updated! 

This event is not for you its about the Mac (god let it be about the Mac for once) if you get some stuff thrown in too then bonus. 

I don't think I can take it anymore if they don't update the Mac Mini, Mac Pro and entire laptop line except the MacBook One
    edited October 2016 wigginwilliamlondondysamoriaewtheckmanpscooter63andrewj5790cali
  • Reply 44 of 142
    Expect to see the 27" Thunderbolt Display to come back as a Retina w/Dedicated GPU for Thunderbolt 3 MacBooks and iMac's. They were going to release this back at WWDC but then backed off at last minute. Similar concept to Razer Stealth with the Razer Core external TB3 GPU box. Only in the display instead.
  • Reply 45 of 142
    Come on, baby. Daddy needs a new iMac.

sockroliddoozydozenh2p
  • Reply 46 of 142
    ... rumors have also claimed that USB-C will be used for charging, replacing MagSafe. ...
    I liked MagSafe.  Slightly sad to see it go, but if the rumor is true, there are several reasons why:

1. The MagSafe connector is thicker than USB-C, so MagSafe could prevent future MacBooks from being hyper-thin.

2. MagSafe was designed to make it safer to charge MacBooks in busy areas.
        Improvements in battery life make it less likely that anyone will need to charge their MB during waking hours.
        So the "Mag" would still be cool, but the "Safe" is more or less obsolete already.

3. USB-C connectors are probably much simpler than MagSafe connectors.
        No magnets, no custom contacts, etc.  Small cost saving.

Not a reason why MagSafe needs to go, but interesting anyway:

4. It may be possible to charge the next-gen MBP from any one of its four USB-C ports.
        You wouldn't need to disconnect anything to free up the "charging port" if any port can charge the MBP.

Just my $0.02.
    lolliverdoozydozenjasenj1
  • Reply 47 of 142
    Just in time, my Macbook is on it's last legs. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 48 of 142
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    sockrolid said:
    ... rumors have also claimed that USB-C will be used for charging, replacing MagSafe. ...
     Improvements in battery life make it less likely that anyone will need to charge their MB during waking hours.

Agree with everything you say, but my primary benefit from MagSafe has been during sleeping hours...darn dogs! Guess I'll have to be more careful where I leave my laptop to charge overnight. LOL
    randominternetpersonrob55
  • Reply 49 of 142
    wiggin said:
    sockrolid said:

Agree with everything you say, but my primary benefit from MagSafe has been during sleeping hours...darn dogs! Guess I'll have to be more careful where I leave my laptop to charge overnight. LOL
    Add a Roomba into the mix and you've got yourself a lot of damaged cords.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 50 of 142
    Hello again? The iPod Classic is back with new color options /s
    Pretty obvious it means Neil Diamond will be the special musical guest. 
    SpamSandwichdysamoriarandominternetpersoncalih2p
  • Reply 51 of 142
    adrayven said:
    Expect to see the 27" Thunderbolt Display to come back as a Retina w/Dedicated GPU for Thunderbolt 3 MacBooks and iMac's. They were going to release this back at WWDC but then backed off at last minute. Similar concept to Razer Stealth with the Razer Core external TB3 GPU box. Only in the display instead.
    So basically every time you wanted to "upgrade" the GPU, you have to buy a new monitor? That can get pretty expensive.
    pulseimagesdysamoria
  • Reply 52 of 142
    ... It has also been rumored that Apple is preparing a Thunderbolt Retina 5K display with its own separate integrated graphics card ...
    How's this for a crazy theory: Apple might be planning to go all-wireless with Mac peripherals.
    Jony Ive has said, in plain English, "We believe in a wireless future.  A future where all of your devices intuitively connect."
    (AirPods design video: http://images.apple.com/media/us/airpods/2016/94916564_4bfa_4362_8b6c_b5c8fc822e3d/films/feature/airpods-feature-tft-cc-us-20160907_960x400.mp4)

The W1 chip in the AirPods is customized for that specific application.
    But could Apple develop a W2 for future MacBook / iMac / Mac Pro / AirPort / Time Capsule / external SSD / etc.?
    Maybe the W2 could implement Wireless USB (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB)
    And, if so, Apple could eliminate the cable between MBP and external display, external storage, etc.
    Just a thought.
    lolliverdoozydozencalipropodh2p
  • Reply 53 of 142
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    Given it's Halloween, clearly something is back from the dead.  So, either the Mac or Steve Jobs.
    mknelsondysamoriadoozydozenpscooter63h2p
  • Reply 54 of 142
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    wiggin said:
    sockrolid said:

Add a Roomba into the mix and you've got yourself a lot of damaged cords.
    Good to know. Where were thinking of getting a Roomba on account of all the dog hair.  :)
    doozydozencali
  • Reply 55 of 142
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This could be the shortest presentation ever. 
    Tim reels off his usual 'We are so excited to share [facts and figures], and then ...
    "All the rumors true. Sorry to disappoint but we are really excited". 
    Music. 

Ido do miss the good old days when nobody had a clue :). That is - I miss that particular part of the good old days.  Not knowing can be a good thing. 
    h2p
  • Reply 56 of 142
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    adrayven said:
    So basically every time you wanted to "upgrade" the GPU, you have to buy a new monitor? That can get pretty expensive.
    Yup. Apple is clearly never going to get into the race to the bottom price wars that monitors are firmly a part of. I wonder what their strategy is here. 

Same is basically true of the AirPort line. Indispensable devices, but it seems like these are way overpriced. Maybe we will see a refresh of Time Capsule with SSDs? Or integrates that still not ready from prime time Sierra feature of files in the cloud? However it goes down though, I expect Apple to be pushing sales of iCloud space (a war they seem to be losing to competitors.)
    cali
  • Reply 57 of 142
    Having an event suggests more than just a spec bump. Or that Apple wants to remind customers it still cares about the Mac. Since the event is on campus I expect it to be small. I don't expect any iPad updates, except maybe a refresh or price cut on the iPad mini. My bet is both iPad Pros get updated next March or April. The question is do we see updates to all Macs including Mac mini and Mac Pro? Or do those just get spec bumped and not talked about on stage?
    dysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 58 of 142
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    entropys said:
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    Given it's Halloween, clearly something is back from the dead.  So, either the Mac or Steve Jobs.
    You just made my day!
    pscooter63doozydozen
  • Reply 59 of 142
    eightzero said:
    adrayven said:
    Yup. Apple is clearly never going to get into the race to the bottom price wars that monitors are firmly a part of. I wonder what their strategy is here. 

Same is basically true of the AirPort line. Indispensable devices, but it seems like these are way overpriced. Maybe we will see a refresh of Time Capsule with SSDs? Or integrates that still not ready from prime time Sierra feature of files in the cloud? However it goes down though, I expect Apple to be pushing sales of iCloud space (a war they seem to be losing to competitors.)
    "Apple is clearly never going to get into the race to the bottom price wars that monitors are firmly a part of."

I have no expectation of Apple entering the race-to-the-bottom price wars but having to replace your monitor every time you want to upgrade the GPU, seems counter-intuitive.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 60 of 142
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    wiggin said:
    mac_128 said:
    ronn said:
    "hello" used for intro of Macintosh. And iMac. Hmmm....
    That's a pretty significant and monumental implication ... in that context it's either going to be that impressive, or very disappointing.
    My thoughts, too. Referring back to previous usage of "hello" (which was the first thing I thought of when I saw the invite) implies pretty significant changes to the product line. A pretty tall order for Apple to live up to give the lack of any rumors along those lines.
    Most leaks come from Chinese contract manufacturers and refer to things that are visible on the exterior of the device. For example, OLED toucher. 

But other secrets are very well kept. For example -- 64 bit A7. *NOBODY* saw that coming. 
    lolliverdoozydozenbaconstangwatto_cobra