New Apple event invite recalls original Macintosh, iMac introductions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
The color-splashed invite sent out to the press on Wednesday for the forthcoming Oct. 27 Apple release event uses language that Apple has used before in two other groundbreaking product debuts.

"Hello" as a computing term has been in use by Apple since the original Apple II. On Apple DOS 3.1 dating back to 1978, the "hello" program, if present, would be automatically launched on boot allowing for rudimentary program selectors if there was more than one title on the disk, or to start the launch sequence of a single title on the disk.

More relevant to the event, is the use of a cursive "hello" on the screen of the Macintosh 128k model in early marketing materials dating to 1984 for the computer.

Upon Steve Jobs' return to Apple in 1997, the company immediately started rolling back what was considered failures at the time, including the wide commercial availability of the Performa line, and the execution of the Newton. In the beginning of 1998, the company returned to profit.

A few days later, Jobs' return was further cemented by the announcement of the original iMac, and the second G3 Powerbook that Apple produced, the "Wallstreet" G3. Both products returned to promises made to consumers about the Macintosh line in the early days.

With the "there is no step three" iMac, came marketing materials recalling the original Macintosh release.

Each time Apple has used "hello" in marketing materials, it has heralded a seismic shift in Apple's personal computing focus.

What's with the color splash in the Apple logo?

Apple generally doesn't dole out much in the way of "red herrings" in pre-event marketing materials, even if they aren't immediately identifiable before the announcement. So, the splash probably means something, even if what that is, isn't immediately apparent.

The most likely reason for it is a return to colors other than white, black, and default aluminum gray in Apple's product line, banished from the line at the end of the G3 iMac's day in the sun.

Shifting over finish techniques mostly perfected for the iPhone to the Mac is an obvious choice.

... and it's about time!

The most recent Mac to be updated is the MacBook, which is the only one to be upgraded in 2016. Most of Apple's Mac line has lain fallow for over a year at this point.

Rumors have already pegged a new MacBook Pro for the event, with recent reports claiming that the MacBook Air will survive, but only in 13-inch form.

The 4K 21.5-inch iMac, and 5k iMacs were the last computers updated before the MacBook by Apple, but even that was at about this time last year.

The less said about the time since the last update to the Mac Pro, the better. While a refresh of the line is possible, and we're holding out hope, we're not expecting a return of the line at this time.

The Mac mini was last updated in October 2014, and is regarded by long-time users as a step backwards from earlier (upgradeable) models. We don't expect Apple will return to an upgradeable Mac mini if it is upgraded at all, as we feel that Apple considers it and the MacBook to be "bridge" computers for the iOS user, rather than aimed at the Mac tinkerer.

Apple's focus will stay on iOS, even after the event

Apple's main focus, and prime money maker for five years has been the iOS ecosystem, and that can't be denied. Users haven't suffered in the drought as much as they may have in other years, as the CPU offerings by Intel have not benefitted speed-wide proportionately as mobile counterparts by other vendors have.

For now, Apple has a vested interest in keeping the Mac line at least relatively current, if for no other reason than to drive iOS. Xcode remains the iOS development platform, and until Apple develops it for other platforms beyond just test beds or educational tools, Apple fans need not fret that the computer is totally abandoned in the Cupertino halls.

That said, new Macs utilizing better GPU technology whether integrated or discrete that include some of the new technologies like Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2, are welcome, even for us non-coders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    The splash of colour, to me, signals wide color gamut displays on the new MacBooks Pro.
    schlackSpamSandwichmacxpressrob55redgeminipaAppleBumjurassicjony0almovidoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    sennen said:
    The splash of colour, to me, signals wide color gamut displays on the new MacBooks Pro.
    Totally agree. It make sense since the capability is in the new iPhones already.
    AppleBumjony0almovidoozydozentallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Rainbow MacBooks?
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Would love to see them rethink the iMac and bring back the floating monitor / Luxo style design in a completely new way.
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sennen said:
    Sounds about right...
    2old4fun said:
    Rainbow MacBooks?
    I would love to see color aluminum Macs. I miss the days of the colored iMac G3's and iBooks. They can do it in a more elegant way with the aluminum and they have experience in this area since they've been coloring iPods for ages. Sometimes I get sick of silver, black, gold, and pink gold.
    edited October 2016 lolliverjahaja
  • Reply 6 of 70
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Why are people still ignoring that Apple used Hello for WWDC 2016 invitation? Not so long ago! Hence "again"!
    doozydozendysamorialolliverrufwork
  • Reply 7 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Regarding iOS vs macOS hardware, I vividly remember when it became apparent that the Apple ][ line was being deprecated in favor of the Macintosh. The Apple ][ was the revenue engine that allowed the development of the Macintosh but once the Mac could stand on its own the Apple ][ quickly faded away, much to Woz’s chagrin. I really think the Mac will eventually suffer the same fate but in a different way. Future Macs will be more like iOS devices. macOS will slowly absorb more iOS features. Macs will eventually run on A chips and become more like the Surface or Chromebook, running a unified or maybe even no OS. Of course for this to happen REAL broadband has to become ubiquitous. The “cloud” will have to be as fast as a hard drive. I don’t know how many years it will take for that to happen.

Just the thoughts of an old guy who has been “online” since 1982 when he slotted a 300 baud Hayes MicroModem in his Apple ][+ and started posting on a bulletin board system. 
    pte applemike egglestoniphonenickalmoviargonautdoozydozenlollivergreginnj
  • Reply 8 of 70
    That better be the only thing they recall.

Can't say I was very excited to see an article headline with 'Apple' and 'recall' in the same sentence.  :/
  • Reply 9 of 70
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple exploding, going up in smoke?

most likely a reference to the "Magic Toolbar" which magically appears and disappears, and reconfigures itself based on apps, or the wave of a hand ...

looks like an an ad for a magic show in Vegas ...
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm not so sure this event is going to introduce anything groundbreaking. An OLED keystrip is a nice advance, but groundbreaking? Not really. What else? This isn't going to be like the Mac introduction, or the iPhone, or iPad. It's will be several, I hope, upgraded machines, and maybe the discontinuation of another.

nice, but not groundbreaking. Groundbreaking would be an ARM MacBook. I don't see that happening this year.

what else ground breaking could they REALISTICALLY introduce now?
    edited October 2016 wonkothesanedoozydozendysamorialolliver
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Last Christmas I offered to buy my wife a new laptop - this year it will be true, really it will be.

1. Updated iPods
    2. Updated iPad mini
    3. New watch bands.
    4. Add menu item for iPods on apple.com to purchase the updated iPods.
    /s

In all seriousness I am really looking forward to new MacBook Pro.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 12 of 70
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I'm in the middle: Apple/Tim will say revolutionary, but we'll just get decent upgrades to Macs and maybe a middling introduction.
    dysamorialolliver
  • Reply 13 of 70
    The image has a Halloween feel to it - like the Great pumpkin rising out of the autumn murk. Fall is harvest season for apples.
    palominedysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 70
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Listen, sog, it's nice that you expect Apple to build a Mac and call it "iOS". Personally, I don't think it's going to happen, because Apple already does this — because a Darwin kernel running a mouse-based interface is what macOS IS. But you're free to believe this, hope for it, petition the gov't or whatever. But can you please stop making ten posts with the identical content within every thread?
    pscooter63fastasleepdysamorialolliverdoozydozenwatto_cobratycho24
  • Reply 15 of 70
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    I'm not so sure this event is going to introduce anything groundbreaking. An OLED keystrip is a nice advance, but groundbreaking? Not really. What else? This isn't going to be like the Mac introduction, or the iPhone, or iPad. It's will be several, I hope, upgraded machines, and maybe the discontinuation of another.

nice, but not groundbreaking. Groundbreaking would be an ARM MacBook. I don't see that happening this year.

iOS desktop with Touch Pad + keyboard input
    A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

A competent Apple desktop computer for that price would be REVOLUTIONARY
    Why iOS? They could stick macOS on there and not cripple the device as much.
    palominecalidysamorialolliverdoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 70
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

Let's not get into this discussion again. 
    dysamorialolliver
  • Reply 17 of 70
    sog35 said:
    Apple Desk
    iOS Desktop with touch pad + keyboard input
    A10x chip
    256 GB
    $299
    I don't think that will happen.. For one, they are not in the business of cheap with low margins.. For another they don't have 'one size fits all' mentality..
    dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 70
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

Yeah sog's been on this iOS desk top high for days now, and it probably ain't happening but hey what does anyone els know, it shall be so coz sog said so ;)

just teasing sog don't loose you're shit ;)

though I do think an iOS desk top is really nonsensical as every thing it woud deliver could be achieved by connecting peripherals to an iPad pro and Apple would retain descent profits margins from selling iPP instead, please note I'm not disputing whether something like that could be made to work for some use cases,

but if a computer is gonna sit on the desk and pretend its a desktop then it better be able to do most things a desktop is EXPECTED to be able to do like run REAL Pro apps and power external displays and that ain't no iOS desktop, but then that's just my opinion
    king editor the graterandominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

I asked for suggestions that are realistic. That is not.
    palominepscooter63anantksundaramfastasleepdysamoriasennendoozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

A10X
    256 GB flash
    $299

I asked for suggestions that are realistic. That is not.
    Bear in mind that Sog does not suggest ideas that are good for Apple or Apple customers; he makes suggestions based on what he thinks Wall Street wants to see. 

What this machine of his can actually do is not important; what is important is the price. If it's a piece of junk that no one would ever buy is immaterial as long as Wall Street is happy to see Apple trying to sell a cheap machine. Wall Street stops picking on Apple and Sog's four shares in Apple increase in value. 
    edited October 2016 fastasleeprandominternetpersondysamoria