Google signs up CBS for upcoming YouTube Unplugged live TV service - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    spice-boy said:
    The joke my ultimately upon the consumer since an a la carte pick of networks my add up to the same if not more than the current cable providers are asking. 
    Anyone who watches a lot of sports and wants to be able to see any show on any network will not benefit much from these packages. There could be benefits like a better interface, better queues and recommendation, and second screen or data overlay.  

The biggest benefit is for people that occasionally watch TV and are not too picky about which shows they watch and when they watch them. Ideally though it is not an a la carte pick of networks, but rather an a la carte pick of genres or even individual shows.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 25
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:
    The thing is I'm not even that smart

but even I can see the obvious opportunities

?

or maybe you you just think you can

thing is Apple want slow in any thing I'm sure resent Samsung troubles have taut many the invaluable foresight to always remember that first isn't everything its easy to dismiss coz impulsive human nature is to want and want right now and the lessons to learn from Apple is that pecience is more than a vertue it's everything.

firstly Apple waited to deliver a big phone till their chips were ready

secondly Apple waited to get into the streaming music business until the industry proved to be more than a fed and a viable revenue generator

thirdly the apple tv was realize in precisely the right time when devs were ready to think of it as a platform worth developing for.

forthly iPad pro actually I won't even get into that one coz it's basic
    sog35 said:
    Why. Is. apple. So. slow.

get with it already Apple.

Stop trying to low ball content providers. Just close the deals already. Then once you have 20 million subscribers then you can negotiate lower prices.

I'm getting sick of Tim Cook's slow action.

Apple is keep getting left behind because of Cook's inability to act:

1. Took forever to bring out large phones - thus Samsung got a massive foothold in the market
    2. Took forever to make an AppleTV with Apps - thus Roku, Amazon, Google got a foothold in streamers
    3. Taking forever to make a home hub device - thus Amazon Echo has made a big push
    4. Taking forever to close a LiveTV package and a streaming package - falling behind again
    5. Took forever to bring out streaming music - thus Pandora/Spotify got a huge early lead
    6. Took forever to bring out a powerful iPad - thus Surface made some gains in mind share
    7. Taking forever to bring out an iOS desktop
    8. Taking forever to make phones with a smaller bezel
    9. Taking forever to build their cloud
    10. Taking forever to build out Apple Pay
    11. Taking forever to build out HomeKit

Tim Cook's Apple is all about being slow and being left behind.

Apple could have easily dominated multiple markets but they are so damn slow
    1 Apple wasn't slow they waited until their chips could deliver killer performance even with bigger screen, no other phone can touch the iPhones CPU

2 the apple tv wasn't slow it's been around for years and as for it having an app store well you must remember that the store works only if developers make apps for it and utill devs were ready to think of apple tv as something to make apps for it would have been premature and even now no atv apps is really ground breaking because people are still trying to figure out what to do with it an app store with useless apps is as bad as no store a all hence the cleanup of the old one

3 Echo has very limited usefullness in most things, a better Siri on apple watch could make it completely irrelevant

4 Apple isn't in the content game those aren't theire strengths and besids you're treating this as though lots of money is being made and Apple is missing out, the only thing this would do for Apple is to make its ecosystem more stiky like apple music so no need to go at neck braking speeds, spotify may have lots of subscribers but they aren't making money and probebly never will coz there competing with: you guessed it, Apple,which is never gona need to make money from subscription .

5 againe not slow Apple waited long enough for music steaming to prove it self as not just another fad

6 not even gona adress this one

7 yeah you're pretty hung up on this and it might very well happen at some point but I dought it, if you need a desk top iOS there's iPad pro

8 yeah go ask sumsung what heppens when you rush out technology befor it's ready just for bragging sake

9 can't ague with you much on this one Apple probably did miss the train a little on this one but hey their are quick learners and they'll get there, maps was the same thing but they've learned it's coming, but yes it's slow

10 this one I can't give you as there really is no one els any where near Apple pay it's just the terminal and merchant side that's screwing up and Apple can't do much about that but it'll take hold remember how long credit cards took so from that perspective Apple pay is really amazing

11 Ok I'll give you this one home kit was a low priority for Apple for far too long but also there really is no one doing exceptionally well either so everyone been slows on this one

and always be aware that Apple will never go into everything that seemingly looks like they'd do well in if no other reason than that they feel like they wouldn't be good at

and I think that appreciably much better than to have an Apple that thinks it can do any thing, don't you ?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sog35 said:
    paxman said:
    sog35 said:
    The thing is I'm not even that smart but even I can see the obvious opportunities Apple is letting get away.

1. Home Kit / Home Hub. Why isn't the AppleTV able to battle the Echo? Or at least make a version that can.

2. iOS desktop budget computer. So obvious. There is a massive market (about 100 million units a year) for desktops in the $299-$499 range. Why isn't Apple expanding its econsystem to include more home computing? Most can't afford a $1000 Mac. A $299 iOS desktop would change the game.

3. More content. Live TV, Netflix like service, gaming. Even Google has done this already. If you can't figure it out buy a company.

1. Personally I am not convinced the Home Kit / Echo thing is such a huge market. I think it is clever but I am not sure it will ever be huge. Health Kit? Definitely.

2. IOS desktop / laptop. It is obvious and I am certain Apple is waiting for both tech and market elements to align. The worst thing would be to bring out something that underperforms at a low price. Low price - yes, low performance? Not so much. Also, their IOS direction is the iPad. Their regular computer is OSX. Could they sell a 13" iPad with a keyboard (+ mouse) + touch screen for 299 - 499? If not, how can they do a laptop for that price?

3. I am not sure Apple is interested in content, and I am not sure it would be a good idea. Just because others do it it doesn't mean it will be a good idea in the long run.

I agree Apple seems slow at times but I think they always were. They take their time and don't rush anything. That whole m.o. has been discussed here often. If you remember Jobs talked about this and was very clear about it. Apple is way more complex than it ever was in Jobs' days and quick decisions often turn out not so great. Think back at all those things we thought Apple should have acted on but didn't. Did they all pay off for the buyers? 

Also - Apple is deep in a couple of growing areas - Banking and e-commerce through Pay - This has only just began but it is clear Apple will be a serious player in the long run, and Watch, which you may not much like but Apple clearly believe has a great future. I share this view but I believe there is some way to go before the Watch will become central in just about everybody's lives. And who knows what they are doing with personal transport. This is an area so much in its infancy I don't think it matters what Tesla et al are doing now. Apple could decide to enter the arena in5 - 10 years in a major way. They are clearly looking at it.
    appreciate your comments.

HomeKit or an Echo like Apple device may not light the world on fire but its just another sticky point to keep customers in the Apple econsystem. The more Apple devices you have the more likely you stay with Apple.

I really think a $299 iOS desktop is possible. Note this does not include a screen. It would basically be an AppleTV with more ports and a keyboard. The AppleTV sells for $199. They still would get a very decent margin on these selling for $299-$399. Again its not just about making profit but another sticky point to keep customers in the Apple econsystem. Tens of millions of iPhone/iPad users still use Windows computers as their home desktop. I want to see that changed.
    I like the idea of a low cost IOS home computer. I doubt if Apple would ever do that without a screen because a touch screen would be a requisite. I'd love it if Apple would produce something like that but I 'can't see it. Not yet, at any rate. It could come in two sizes as in the iPad sizes, but without the requirement for a bezel or home button as these would be on the keyboard. The screen could be swivel-able (portrait / landscape), and tilt-able, and the stand could be much like a miniature iMac stylistically. It would be marketed as a home device for people with lesser computing needs and without a huge need for memory. If memory expansion was needed there is always iCloud. I can totally see this device and see a strong market for it, but it is so easy to rationalize it back down to a regular iPad with a stand.  More importantly, the price would need to match the iPad. The 32gb iPad is 599. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jvmb said:
    spice-boy said:
    The joke my ultimately upon the consumer since an a la carte pick of networks my add up to the same if not more than the current cable providers are asking. 
    Anyone who watches a lot of sports and wants to be able to see any show on any network will not benefit much from these packages. There could be benefits like a better interface, better queues and recommendation, and second screen or data overlay.  

The biggest benefit is for people that occasionally watch TV and are not too picky about which shows they watch and when they watch them. Ideally though it is not an a la carte pick of networks, but rather an a la carte pick of genres or even individual shows.
    exactly. after years of no cable or tv i have absolutely no interest in even watching any network if there are commercials. tried some of the free network apps on my apple tv and i can't bear to sit thru the annoying commercial breaks.