IBM deploying 1,300 Macs per week, Apple users need much less support than PC counterparts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Worth considering that the macs are all new, while the thinkpads will all be a few years old so it's not that surprising there is a difference
    Windoze is Windoze, a couple of years difference in hardware can't change that!
  • Reply 42 of 48

market285 said:
    Wow I guess after 30 years Apple has become "IBM Compatible."   :)
    Nah, after 30 years IBM has become Apple Compatible. :smiley: 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 43 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Worth considering that the macs are all new, while the thinkpads will all be a few years old so it's not that surprising there is a difference
    Windows 7 and 10 are very good as a whole.  Not perfect, but neither OS X, at least in my experience with both.  If someone as big as the DoD decided to go ahead and deploy Windows 10 in 3 million devices, I suppose then isn't that bad. 

http://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/688721/dod-wide-windows-10-rapid-deployment-to-boost-cybersecurity

• Reply 44 of 48

Maybe a little OT, Maybe not...

This shows how IBM is reconfiguring itself to deliver its products and services to the marketplace -- things like Watson, IBM Research, IBM Consulting, etc.  An integral part of this will be delivered by the Apple/IBM Mobile First partnership -- targeting solutions for healthcare, education, enterprise...  

A couple of interesting tidbits:
    • They show a 1-atom thick graphine chip (developed by IBM Research) that can power a phone for a week without recharging
    • They discuss scenarios where where Watson can use big data to suggest alternative solutions for health treatment, education, etc
    • Then Watson asks questions  of the doctor/patient or teacher/student to refine its recommendations.

Long, but very worthwhile, IMO:

edited October 2016
  • Reply 45 of 48
    danvm said:
    Windows 7 and 10 are very good as a whole.  Not perfect, but neither OS X, at least in my experience with both.  If someone as big as the DoD decided to go ahead and deploy Windows 10 in 3 million devices, I suppose then isn't that bad. 

http://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/688721/dod-wide-windows-10-rapid-deployment-to-boost-cybersecurity

Yeah, but there are over 1 Billion [very secure] installed  iOS devices -- where do you think the marketplace is going?

This year, or next (IMO), when the time is right -- we'll have an iOS device that will be the tipping point of the WinTel monopoly.

• Reply 46 of 48
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:

Yeah, but there are over 1 Billion [very secure] installed  iOS devices -- where do you think the marketplace is going?

This year, or next (IMO), when the time is right -- we'll have an iOS device that will be the tipping point of the WinTel monopoly.
    That's an excellent question, specially when you consider that iPads sales have been falling for two years, and now iPhone sales are down too.  Plus Google did a great job with the Pixel and MS Surface keeps growing.  In the desktop, business as usual with Windows being the dominant platform.  And I may add how slow is Apple with Siri / AI, cloud services and AR/VR, where Amazon, MS and Google shine.  Apple shouldn't feel "very secure" with the competition they have in so many crucial areas, and where they don't do too good. 
  • Reply 47 of 48
    danvm said:

My point was made in reply to the argument that a two year old PCs could not run Windows 10 as well as new ones (read threads above).  I made zero reference to a comparison between OS X  (mac OS) and Windows.  I use Windows 10 and mac OS daily too.  The reason people like the DoD use Windows is a) cheap hardware and b) existing applications.  To cite security and Windows (even 10) in the same sentence is a stretch though.  Your post in reply to Dick above shows I am wasting my time anyway, you are clearly here to troll.
    edited October 2016 williamlondon