Apple exec Eddy Cue talks future of TV at Vanity Fair event

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2020
On Thursday Apple's senior VP of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, sat down for a three-way discussion at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit in San Francisco, where he spoke at length about the current state of TV and where Apple sees things going.

As he has before, Cue attacked modern TV interfaces, describing most of them as a "glorified VCR" and "pretty brain-dead." He positioned the Apple TV as a better solution, the fourth generation of which has Siri and an App Store, among other improvements.

Cue was on stage with HBO CEO Richard Plepler, and used HBO Now as an example of a better way of interacting with TV. HBO has over 1 million subscribers on Apple devices, and Cue suggested that the two companies are "at the beginning" of their relationship, without hinting at what they might have in mind later.

The two executives also exchanged praise for each other, with Plepler in particular claiming that whenever the two companies have run into an obstacle in the past, all he had to do was call Cue and the issue would be fixed in 10 minutes. "That's rare," Plepler added.

Cue suggested that TV will continue to evolve year-by-year, as old restrictions relax and content providers become more comfortable with advanced technology. Some networks have been reluctant to completely embrace streaming, not wanting to risk deals with cable and satellite companies -- which in turn have fought the prospect of "skinny" or a-la-carte channel bundles. In some cases, contract obligations have helped maintain the status quo.

Apple's position in both music and video streaming will still be competitive in spite of rivals like Amazon and Netflix, Cue said, because it's able to host such services on its own platform. The company will allegedly succeed as along as it offers the best way to pay for and access content, regardless of which services are involved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    For years we keep hearing about where Apple thinks TV is going. And here we are still waiting.
    caliirelandrogifan_newdasanman69jony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AI in the pipeline. 
    TV in the pipeline. 

Might be be better to go back to the good old days of keeping quiet until you have something to show. 
    bdkennedy1002caliirelandasdasdSolijony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    rumor of AT&T buying Time Warner (HBO) with Time Warner hinting they are up for sale....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-20/at-t-said-to-discuss-idea-of-takeover-in-time-warner-meetings
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 4 of 26
    britflixbritflix Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have XFINITY TV & when Apple releases Beta v1, it'll be 100 times better than the crappy UI of Comcast. You can't even skip a 30 second commercial, as it only jumps 5 minutes. Ads are usually 3-4 minutes.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    bdkennedy said:
    For years we keep hearing about where Apple thinks TV is going. And here we are still waiting.
    It's a tough battle against the network elites who want to keep the content to themselves.  Apple is our best bet at changing this in the long term, with the support of customers - who ultimately influence every business decision.  Cable customers are feeding the beast against our interests.  Cable companies use the revenue and contracts to keep content providers from leaving, or diversifying.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    bdkennedy said:
    I think that is an incorrect reading of the situation. Apple (and everybody else) will always have a view on where TV is going. And here we are with TV 4 and all that entails. What are you waiting for? The big revolutionary move? It will never happen because TV is an old beast with many owners and stakeholders who cling on to old business models. But the TV evolution is actually moving very fast - look where we were only a decade ago. My Apple TV has completely changed the way I access and watch TV. Others like Amazon might be a little better, or cheaper - I wouldn't know as I have never tried, but the end game is a moving target and I suspect Apple will keep moving with it.
    edited October 2016 lollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    TV is going now where fast at Apple with Eddie Cue at the helm...Its been YEARS and no progress at all. 
    irelandrogifan_newasdasdcali
  • Reply 8 of 26
    paxman said:
    bdkennedy said:
    I think that is an incorrect reading of the situation. Apple (and everybody else) will always have a view on where TV is going. And here we are with TV 4 and all that entails. What are you waiting for? The big revolutionary move? It will never happen because TV is an old beast with many owners and stakeholders who cling on to old business models. But the TV evolution is actually moving very fast - look where we were only a decade ago. My Apple TV has completely changed the way I access and watch TV. Others like Amazon might be a little better, or cheaper - I wouldn't know as I have never tried, but the end game is a moving target and I suspect Apple will keep moving with it.
    Sling TV is already doing it. The user interface is horrible, but they're doing it. 25 channels for $20 a month.
    palomine
  • Reply 9 of 26
    IMO -- If he thinks the present Apple TV interface is 'the future' interface, I disagree. If one knows basically what one wants to watch- eg Bewitched... . the interface / search Sire, is very pretty and efficient to get to find shows that have 'Bewitched'. However for exploring, and I think most people are in this group, functionally it worse than Apple TV2 for 'exploring'... what is playing etc. There will be nothing that surpasses a list view instead of icons for every single freak'n show. What a pain to scroll through.  Also, the Apple TV2 click wheel was much better. No auto fast forward... only move that finger just right on that track pad... opps yiles to far, no.. .geesh. . YMMV
    palomine
  • Reply 10 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Buy Netflix, Cue, FFS.

Apple TV is missing a compelling content subscription for Apple. Netflix installed by default on every Apple device with a reduced contract fee exclusive to Apple devices makes ATV a compelling product out of the box. You subscribe and watch from an ATV... you pay $7 per month. You subscribe on another device you pay $10 a month. And Netflix understands new content like no one else. Having that team under Apple's umbrella would be huge boon for ATV and Apple's living room strategy going forward. Every independent film, doc and TV Show production on the planet wants to be on Netflix.

"As you've probably heard, last month Apple acquired Netflix. ATV, iPhone and iPad now come bundled with Netflix. We're gettting rid of the $11.99 plan. Netflix will now be $10 per month. What if you watch from an Apple device? $7".

Boom. Apple owns streaming.

How are you paying 7 when it's costing me 10?

Apple TV.

Then cut to 4 years down the line—rebrand—rename Netflix streaming service 'Apple TV'.
    edited October 2016 cali
  • Reply 11 of 26
    So the future of TV is a grid of apps?
    dasanman69eightzero
  • Reply 12 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So the future of TV is a grid of apps?
    Mainly voice, but you need the content. The future of living room is everything the user wants from one product. TV content has to be part of that though.
    edited October 2016 lollivercali
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Rayz2016 said:
    AI in the pipeline. 
    TV in the pipeline. 

Might be be better to go back to the good old days of keeping quiet until you have something to show. 
    then the whiners and haters would decry that. whatever they do he whiners and haters complain. 
    lollivercali
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Lannoc24Lannoc24 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Sounds like Eddie has "finally cracked it"
  • Reply 15 of 26

bdkennedy said:
    who's waiting? ATV4 is great. i don't have cable and don't have to use a shitty cable box. i buy what i want, or stream. itunes, hbo, netflix, plex, and a few network apps...living in the future. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 26
    What I want is an oversized iPad - approximately 50 inch screen, but same thickness as existing iPads. Apple TV built in. Then I can stick this thing to my wall - no wires, as it would plug into a hidden charger in the wall. Maybe use magnets to hold it up. I want the smallest footprint ever on my wall (in terms of depth). And no requirement for any additional plug-in boxes to have to sit next to it. Audio connects wirelessly to my Sonos. Timeframes anyone??
    goodbyeranch
  • Reply 17 of 26
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    jblongz said:

Cable customers are feeding the beast against our interests.  Cable companies use the revenue and contracts to keep content providers from leaving, or diversifying.
    So true. Those who bite the bullet and buy a cable bundle to get the one show they care about give hope to the networks that they can do business as usual for another year.
    palomine
  • Reply 18 of 26
    not to digress - but beyond disappointed with the "which way is up", "feck this thing","pass the old steel thingy one","jony was sick that week" remote. My first hardware was a PowerBook 170 in 91, never complained since until this thing. Thought it was just me being a grumpy designer, but the reviews correlated. Please god, with all the Powers of Greyskull and that Blue Peter Badge Jony got - its revamped.

ireland
  • Reply 19 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    buckalec said:
    not to digress - but beyond disappointed with the "which way is up", "feck this thing","pass the old steel thingy one","jony was sick that week" remote. My first hardware was a PowerBook 170 in 91, never complained since until this thing. Thought it was just me being a grumpy designer, but the reviews correlated. Please god, with all the Powers of Greyskull and that Blue Peter Badge Jony got - its revamped.

I agree that the remote has one dreadful flaw. And the fix could be so so easy. A glowing top edge would do it. As it is you need to find your iPhone to shine a light on it ....  very bad. 
  • Reply 20 of 26
    malomalo Posts: 19member
    Waiting Patiently for Apple to reinvent the TV experience and I believe in the late comments of Mr. Steve Jobs when he said, "we have this figured out."

Apple is the Best Period! No one else can hold a candle to how they redefine industries through creativity and innovation. The competition lives in their shadows, copying and building cheap imitations.

The Apple Team is brilliant, pioneering every new market they pursue, including TV!