Apple's website leaks hints of impending Apple Pay support in Germany

Posted:
in iPhone
Hints from its website suggest that Apple is on the verge of announcing Apple Pay for Germany, filling in one of several major gaps in its European coverage.

Searching for "Apple Pay" on the company's German site brings up multiple Apple Pay-related listings, a Reddit user noted late Thursday. One of these, more importantly, is an apple.com/de/apple-pay link, which curently leads to an inactive page.

Apple is also said to have accidentally highlighted Germany in a global coverage map dated Oct. 10. The present graphic omitting Germany was created a week later, implying that Apple took some time to spot the mistake.

German Apple Pay could be revealed at Apple's Oct. 27 press event. Just a handful of European countries have the technology at the moment, the others being France, Switzerland, and the U.K. Apple has promised access in Spain by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Germany would round it of to a nice dozen countries right before the holiday shopping season.
    More web presence is still needed.  Amazon and eBay should offer ApplePay.
    1. Australia
    2. Canada
    3. China
    4. France
    5. Germany ??
    6. Hong Kong
    7. New Zealand
    8. Russia
    9. Singapore
    10. Switzerland
    11. United Kingdom
    12. United States of America.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    In Germany, people pay cash !
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 8
    In Germany pay ppl using euro and credit cards. Really waiting for Apple Pay to arrive here. About time.
    urahara
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hydrogen said:
    In Germany, people pay cash !
    That seems to still be true today. I'm not German, but I try to do the same.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I'd love for this to be true. But I'll believe it when i have it on my Apple Watch.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It's too common to pay using cash here in Germany. So few people even HAVE credit cards due to EC being the primary card based payment method.
    NFC credit cards are a thing here but those who have it don't really use it, despite all supermarkets supporting them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My bank tried to force a NFC enabled EC card on me but I refused to take it and asked for a non NFC enabled EC card.
    These cards are much too insecure. With the right (and cheap to get) equipment you can extract lots of data from these cards on distances up 3/4 of a meter.
    The huge bonus with Apples implementation is that some post processing is necessary, to extract some money from you, that works as a shield.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 8 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Germany would round it of to a nice dozen countries right before the holiday shopping season.
    More web presence is still needed.  Amazon and eBay should offer ApplePay.
    1. Australia
    2. Canada
    3. China
    4. France
    5. Germany ??
    6. Hong Kong
    7. New Zealand
    8. Russia
    9. Singapore
    10. Switzerland
    11. United Kingdom
    12. United States of America.
    EBay created PayPal and integrated it into the their product very nicely.  Using ApplePay would be a step back for them because they use PayPal to control every facet of the transaction end to end to protect both the buyer and the seller -- they couldn't do that with credit cards or ApplePay.