Apple might debut 'MagSafe-like' USB-C adapter with redesigned MacBook Pro line

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    Griffin's Breaksafe USB-C cable https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable shows what is already available. Hopefully Apple will make the solution more elegant but if not then a solution already exists. Although for the price of a MBP I'd hope Apple would solve this one rather than having to buy an extra third party product.
    redgeminipabaconstangrandominternetpersonlinkman
  • Reply 22 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    I think a magsafe usb-c connector would be a bad idea, unless it is only used for power. Losing the power on a battery powered laptop for a minute is not a problem. Losing a data connection while you are connected to a network, external drive, or blu-ray burner can be a problem. 
    The adapter would remove the data functionality of the specific port.
    But that ruins the advantage of a single power and data cable to plug into a hub, or a next-gen Apple Display with hub features.
    It ruins no features. It would be a small adapter and optionally plug into one of the 3 or 4 USBc ports—hopefully the port of the user's choosing.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    HP has Kaby Lake and DDR4- If Apple doesn't match that, I'll have to pass
    Are Intel shipping I7 with quad cores and a decent clock speed yet?
    According to intel.com they aren't.

On the HP site 7th Gen cpus are really hard to find. To me this means thay quantities are limited.

Out of interest what is the show stopper that make a Kaby Lake a must have over Skylake.
    I'm sure that there are a good few people here that would like to know what the killer feature is.

redgeminipabaconstangfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Soli said:
    jvmb said:
    I think a magsafe usb-c connector would be a bad idea, unless it is only used for power. Losing the power on a battery powered laptop for a minute is not a problem. Losing a data connection while you are connected to a network, external drive, or blu-ray burner can be a problem. 
    Look at the current MagSafe connector and now try to figure out how this can be done with all the pins for USB-C. Maybe it's technically possible, but I can't see how this would work unless there is an optical cable connecting the magnetic ends, which doesn't seem feasible to me.
    I imagine a detachable USB plug after the MagSafe junction. Most probably with a custom chip. MagSafe will detach and USB end will remain plugged in case of accident. There is already a similar 3D party accessory.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 101
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    How to make the power connection MagSafe without adding point of failure to all the data connections seems obvious: move the MagSafe connection to the other end of the cable. 

Make the connector at the power supply MagSafe. 
  • Reply 26 of 101
    spheric said:
    How to make the power connection MagSafe without adding point of failure to all the data connections seems obvious: move the MagSafe connection to the other end of the cable. 

The loose cable would still pull the machine if someone steps on it...
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    But that ruins the advantage of a single power and data cable to plug into a hub, or a next-gen Apple Display with hub features.
    It ruins no features. It would be a small adapter and optionally plug into one of the 3 or 4 USBc ports—hopefully the port of the user's choosing.
    But if it will only do power or data then you'll need another cable to do the other thing.

A single cable providing power and data would be a feature.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    But if it will only do power or data then you'll need another cable to do the other thing.

It's almost like those ports will still exist on the machine.
    logic2.6
  • Reply 29 of 101
    spheric said:

You didn't think this through.
    logic2.6
  • Reply 30 of 101
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    ireland said:
    spheric said:

Keep going?
  • Reply 31 of 101
    spheric said:
    ireland said:
    spheric said:

Keep going?
    Why is that a question?
  • Reply 32 of 101
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:

What?

If it's a feature you don't care about that's fine, but other notebooks have single port docking and it's a very nice feature for those that use it regularly.  My Macbook Air currently has an awkward two port solution from my Apple Thunderbolt Display, made worse because the ports are on opposite sides of the machine and the cable does not gracefully allow for that.

A single cable, single port for data and power would be a big improvement, Magsafe or no; and since my desk is well arranged the cable is not at high risk from trips or quick detachment, so seperating the functions would be hindrance rather than a benefit.  I suspect most people who would be using the port for data would be in a similar scenario; ODDS, external HDDs, other accessories, these aren't things where the cable is in a place where it's likely to be a trip hazard.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    spheric said:

How would that help?  It doesn't matter which end of the cable gets disconnected, your data still gets interrupted which can cause corruption and other problems.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:

What?

If it's a feature you don't care about that's fine, but other notebooks have single port docking and it's a very nice feature for those that use it regularly.  My Macbook Air currently has an awkward two port solution from my Apple Thunderbolt Display, made worse because the ports are on opposite sides of the machine and the cable does not gracefully allow for that.

A single cable, single port for data and power would be a big improvement, Magsafe or no; and since my desk is well arranged the cable is not at high risk from trips or quick detachment, so seperating the functions would be hindrance rather than a benefit.  I suspect most people who would be using the port for data would be in a similar scenario; ODDS, external HDDs, other accessories, these aren't things where the cable is in a place where it's likely to be a trip hazard.
    Would you define USBc as a single port with data and power?
  • Reply 35 of 101
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

jvmb said:
    But then why make it look like USB-C that can handle data?  Why not leave it MagSafe?
    You're asking why use USB for power that can be charged with any random USB port, including your car, instead of having an extra USB port for data over having a simple, dedicated MagSafe port that can only be used for power? Is that right?
    VERY few USB chargers supply enough power.  Also, Macs generally require 14+ volts, not 5.  My MBA uses a 45w supply, the Pros generally take 60w or more.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say. You kow we're talking about USB-C, right? You know that the spec supports 60W at 12V and 100W at 20V, right? You know that whatever the current Macs have is not set in stone, and cane be lowered (or increased) as Apple sees fit, right? You know that Apple doesn't have to abide by the spec, if it wasn't enough, right?
  • Reply 36 of 101
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:

What?

Of course I do.  But we're not talking about straight USBc, because you said "The adapter would remove the data functionality"
  • Reply 37 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    HP has Kaby Lake and DDR4- If Apple doesn't match that, I'll have to pass
    So, your deciding factor between buying an HP laptop and a Mac is.. the type of RAM that is to be used? That will most likely have ZERO noticeable impact on your actual usage, compared to all the other factors? Yeah, you're not a troll or anything.
    randominternetpersonfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:

What?

Of course I do.  But we're not talking about straight USBc, because you said "The adapter would remove the data functionality"
    You mean the optional adapter?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 39 of 101
    spheric said:
    ireland said:
    spheric said:

Keep going?
    The point is the cable on the MacBook, for example, is USB-C-to-USB-C. This means you can reverse the cable as it's not permanently attached to the PSU.. If there's a power-only, magnetic quick release built into one side of the cable you can flip it around as you see fit.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 40 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    Under what sceneario is your hub not on the desk near your laptop and placed so far away from your laptop that the single cable is a trip hazard that requires you to use a USB-C cable with a magnetic quick release?