Apple might debut 'MagSafe-like' USB-C adapter with redesigned MacBook Pro line

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Soli said:

longpath said:
    Fewer than 6 ports means that something will have to be doubled up to maintain the same level of functionality.
    Only when charging. Since Mac notebooks have all day battery life, you'll be able to use that USB-C port for something else and then charge when you get home or are in the car, like with the iPhone and iPad. (Please don't infer that my comment is wanting less than 6 ports—I'll take 4+4, if that's an option).
    Hopefully, they will maintain full processing power while providing that all day battery life; but I hear what you're saying. I'd just prefer to not have to time-shift my charging or rely up multiplexed adapters.
    baconstang
  • Reply 62 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    I think a magsafe usb-c connector would be a bad idea, unless it is only used for power. Losing the power on a battery powered laptop for a minute is not a problem. Losing a data connection while you are connected to a network, external drive, or blu-ray burner can be a problem. 
    The adapter would remove the data functionality of the specific port.
    But that ruins the advantage of a single power and data cable to plug into a hub, or a next-gen Apple Display with hub features.
    It ruins no features. It would be a small adapter and optionally plug into one of the 3 or 4 USBc ports—hopefully the port of the user's choosing.
    But if it will only do power or data then you'll need another cable to do the other thing.

A single cable providing power and data would be a feature.
    It's almost like those ports will still exist on the machine.
    What?

If it's a feature you don't care about that's fine, but other notebooks have single port docking and it's a very nice feature for those that use it regularly.  My Macbook Air currently has an awkward two port solution from my Apple Thunderbolt Display, made worse because the ports are on opposite sides of the machine and the cable does not gracefully allow for that.

A single cable, single port for data and power would be a big improvement, Magsafe or no; and since my desk is well arranged the cable is not at high risk from trips or quick detachment, so seperating the functions would be hindrance rather than a benefit.  I suspect most people who would be using the port for data would be in a similar scenario; ODDS, external HDDs, other accessories, these aren't things where the cable is in a place where it's likely to be a trip hazard.
    Would you define USBc as a single port with data and power?
    Of course I do.  But we're not talking about straight USBc, because you said "The adapter would remove the data functionality"
    You mean the optional adapter?
    The optional adaptor that restores convenience functionality that is built in to the current notebooks (except the new MB).

So I can have the convenience of one port, or the convenience or the Magsafe (with the inconvenience of an "adaptor") but not both.

You don't see how this seems sub-optimal and that there's a feature comprimise?
    At this point you're just not making any sense.
    I would counter that there are probably more instances where data would be used where the connection is safe than there are instances where it is not. People do not generally plug in power and data devices in situations where the cables present a trip hazard.

So I don't think your caveat is required. Power and data please. 
    So don't use the bloomin' adapter!!
    edited October 2016 Soli
  • Reply 63 of 101

longpath said:
    Fewer than 6 ports means that something will have to be doubled up to maintain the same level of functionality.
    I'm holding out for 16 USBc ports.
    edited October 2016 Solifastasleep
  • Reply 64 of 101
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    longpath said:
    Soli said:

longpath said:
    Only when charging. Since Mac notebooks have all day battery life, you'll be able to use that USB-C port for something else and then charge when you get home or are in the car, like with the iPhone and iPad. (Please don't infer that my comment is wanting less than 6 ports—I'll take 4+4, if that's an option).
    Hopefully, they will maintain full processing power while providing that all day battery life; but I hear what you're saying. I'd just prefer to not have to time-shift my charging or rely up multiplexed adapters.
    Current 15" MBPs have 3x USB-A, 2x Thunderbolt/mDP ports. I think I've used a single TB on a very rare occasion for my Ehternet adapter, and I'm not sure I've used all 3 USB-A ports. I guess if you have an external display that would be more of a crunch, but I'd think that you'd also be plugging in to get power if you're using an external dispaly.

That tells me that 2x2 USB-C is likely what we can expect next week. Personally, that would work fine for me as it's the same number of USB ports I have available on my Mac notebook, and will be the same or 33% more for data, depending on if I'm charging my battery.

The next external display from Apple will hopefully be able to supply power into the Mac notebooks while pushing display and other communication data in and out.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    HP has Kaby Lake and DDR4- If Apple doesn't match that, I'll have to pass
    Are Intel shipping I7 with quad cores and a decent clock speed yet?
    According to intel.com they aren't.

On the HP site 7th Gen cpus are really hard to find. To me this means thay quantities are limited.

Out of interest what is the show stopper that make a Kaby Lake a must have over Skylake.
    I'm sure that there are a good few people here that would like to know what the killer feature is.

Kaby Lake provides increased power efficiency, so longer battery life
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 66 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    jvmb said:
    I think a magsafe usb-c connector would be a bad idea, unless it is only used for power. Losing the power on a battery powered laptop for a minute is not a problem. Losing a data connection while you are connected to a network, external drive, or blu-ray burner can be a problem. 
    The adapter would remove the data functionality of the specific port.
    But that ruins the advantage of a single power and data cable to plug into a hub, or a next-gen Apple Display with hub features.
    It ruins no features. It would be a small adapter and optionally plug into one of the 3 or 4 USBc ports—hopefully the port of the user's choosing.
    But if it will only do power or data then you'll need another cable to do the other thing.

A single cable providing power and data would be a feature.
    It's almost like those ports will still exist on the machine.
    What?

If it's a feature you don't care about that's fine, but other notebooks have single port docking and it's a very nice feature for those that use it regularly.  My Macbook Air currently has an awkward two port solution from my Apple Thunderbolt Display, made worse because the ports are on opposite sides of the machine and the cable does not gracefully allow for that.

A single cable, single port for data and power would be a big improvement, Magsafe or no; and since my desk is well arranged the cable is not at high risk from trips or quick detachment, so seperating the functions would be hindrance rather than a benefit.  I suspect most people who would be using the port for data would be in a similar scenario; ODDS, external HDDs, other accessories, these aren't things where the cable is in a place where it's likely to be a trip hazard.
    Would you define USBc as a single port with data and power?
    Of course I do.  But we're not talking about straight USBc, because you said "The adapter would remove the data functionality"
    You mean the optional adapter?
    The optional adaptor that restores convenience functionality that is built in to the current notebooks (except the new MB).

So I can have the convenience of one port, or the convenience or the Magsafe (with the inconvenience of an "adaptor") but not both.

You don't see how this seems sub-optimal and that there's a feature comprimise?
    At this point you're just not making any sense.
    I would counter that there are probably more instances where data would be used where the connection is safe than there are instances where it is not. People do not generally plug in power and data devices in situations where the cables present a trip hazard.

So I don't think your caveat is required. Power and data please. 
    And then I don't get MagSafe. i.e a feature loss. i.e. something undesirable. i.e. something worth talking about.

Am i saying something wrong here?  Why are you getting exclamationy?
    baconstang
  • Reply 67 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    Am i saying something wrong here?
    I certainly don't get why you're complaining about having more options without losing MagSafe's benefit saving your notebook from being damaged by someone tripping over the powwer cable.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    I certainly don't get why you're complaining about having more options without losing MagSafe's benefit saving your notebook from being damaged by someone tripping over the powwer cable.
    An "adaptor" is hardly the same as native capability.  And if it doesn't carry data then the major advantage of a single cable to my display is gone, unless I forego the MagSafe.

Forgive me for wanting more.  Frankly, if the adaptor means power only then I think the entire idea is a non-starter, just keep the existing MagSafe port.
    randominternetpersonbaconstang
  • Reply 69 of 101
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:
    An "adaptor" is hardly the same as native capability.  And if it doesn't carry data then the major advantage of a single cable to my display is gone, unless I forego the MagSafe.

Forgive me for wanting more.  Frankly, if the adaptor means power only then I think the entire idea is a non-starter, just keep the existing MagSafe port.
    This isn't like your standard adapter where it's some_standard-to-some_other_standard where you're storing the adapter in some pocket of your laptop bag 99.9% of the time. It's a fucking USB cable used for power that has a magnetic connector attached between the USB-C-to-USB-C port interfaces. You use it as a single unit.

Frankly, if the adaptor means power only then I think the entire idea is a non-starter, just keep the existing MagSafe port.

You want more than what MagSafe curently offers? What "data" could you possibly want to transmit from the PSU? Have you even consdiered how the fuck a magentic connector works and how many pins are in USB-C?

edited October 2016
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    ireland said:

This isn't like your standard adapter where it's some_standard-to-some_other_standard where you're storing the adapter in some pocket of your laptop bag 99.9% of the time. It's a fucking USB cable used for power that has a magnetic connector attached between the USB-C-to-USB-C port interfaces. You use it as a single unit.

Frankly, if the adaptor means power only then I think the entire idea is a non-starter, just keep the existing MagSafe port.

You want more than what MagSafe curently offers? What "data" could you possibly want to transmit from the PSU? Have you even consdiered how the fuck a magentic connector works and how many pins are in USB-C?

I think I've been pretty clear, I'm talking about a single cable for power and data to connect to a hub, or more specifically to an updated Apple Display.  Not sure why you're not getting that.  Obviously there's not going to be any data coming from the PSU, I have no idea where that idea has come from.

And for your "single unit", there is a loss of the ease of connecting a MagSafe port to the notebook.  It currently auto-aligns and requires no insertion, and is similarly easy to detach.  Your adaptor, with the standard USB-C port loses that.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 71 of 101
    crowley said:
    I think I've been pretty clear, I'm talking about a single cable for power and data to connect to a hub, or more specifically to an updated Apple Display. […] Obviously there's not going to be any data coming from the PSU, I have no idea where that idea has come from.
    IF YOU'RE CONNECTING TO A HUB YOUR DAMN HUB SHOULDN'T BE ACROSS A DAMN WALKWAY WHICH MAKES USE OF A MAGNETIC BREAKAWAY CABLE AND YOUR "CONCERN" IRRELEVANT!
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 72 of 101
    For the love of God @crowley, we assume if the rumour is true you will get the option of MagSafe (via some clever adapter) or a third USBc port. I don't see Apple including 4, I could be wrong. I'd bet there's a higher chance of 3 USBc + jack or Lightning (I'm hoping Lightning for wired headphone consistency with iPhone going forward).

If however this adapter Apple has in mind sticks out then I'd agree I'd prefer plain old MagSafe in that it would be neater. Let's wait to see what Apple is going to do. Two things: 1. I'll be pissed if they leave this for a third party to tackle. And 2. No matter the battery life it's not a good excuse for MagSafe not existing as your computer can still run out of battery during daytime. And whenever you do plug in a magnet connection is a nicer experience.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    I think I've been pretty clear, I'm talking about a single cable for power and data to connect to a hub, or more specifically to an updated Apple Display. […] Obviously there's not going to be any data coming from the PSU, I have no idea where that idea has come from.
    IF YOU'RE CONNECTING TO A HUB YOUR DAMN HUB SHOULDN'T BE ACROSS A DAMN WALKWAY WHICH MAKES USE OF A MAGNETIC BREAKAWAY CABLE AND YOUR "CONCERN" IRRELEVANT!
    What concern and why are you shouting?  I've never said that the breakaway properties of the MagSafe are required for desk work, if you'd been paying attention I've been saying exactly the opposite.

I simply would prefer not to lose a magnetic port that I quite like, because I like how easy it is to attach and detach.  I'd quite like that magnetic port to be the single connection to the new Apple Display.  If it's a USB3 port instead I'll live with that, but I'll be a little disappointed.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 74 of 101
    ireland said:

whenever you do plug in a magnet connection is a nicer experience.
    Exactly my point.  Not sure why the "for the love of god" was necessary.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 75 of 101
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    What concern and why are you shouting?  I've never said that the breakaway properties of the MagSafe are required for desk work, if you'd been paying attention I've been saying exactly the opposite.

I simply would prefer not to lose a magnetic port that I quite like, because I like how easy it is to attach and detach.  I'd quite like that magnetic port to be the single connection to the new Apple Display.  If it's a USB3 port instead I'll live with that, but I'll be a little disappointed.
    Have any of you considered you may get BOTH? No need to fight.

The following scenarios assume USB-C can provide the necessary power to charge the new MBP.

Scenario 1: MagSafe 3
    Apple includes a new MagSafe 3 plug on the MBP. It is thinner than MagSafe 2, probably smaller than USB-C. I'd love it if they could make is round, so ANY orientation works, not just 0° and 180°. MagSafe 3 includes only the contacts necessary to charge the MacBook from a (relatively) dumb USB-C power brick. This is for non-docking MBP users. eg. Charging in a public place, on a coffee table, at school, all the places MagSafe's breakaway behavior is a Mac-saver.

Scenario 2: Thunderbolt Display 2 (or any dock, for that matter)
    Any dock with a beefy enough power supply can connect via USB-C to any port on the MBP, supplying power as well as passing through data (USB, Thunderbolt, Video, etc.). See justifications below:
    • Accidental kicking of the power supply (presumably) isn't a problem in a docked situation.
    • Using one of the MBP's built-in USB-C ports isn't a problem since there is almost certainly another USB-C on the Display/dock/whatever, as well as lots of other connectors—the reason you are using a dock in the first place, right?
    As long as both USB-C provides enough power, I don't see why any port, data-capable or not, even different ports on different days in different situations can't work.

It would fit nicely with the port consolidation Apple has been working toward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 101
    I think scenario 2 is a no-brainer and will certainly be available, but it's be nice if a magnetised version of that port could exist which didn't require insertion.

Magnets are cool.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    crowley said:
    ireland said:

whenever you do plug in a magnet connection is a nicer experience.
    Exactly my point.  Not sure why the "for the love of god" was necessary.
    Because the rumours is it will have a magnetic connection. You keep at it though. Over and over. Let's wait and see what happens. Then you can complain all you wan't. You're taking pieces of my posts out of context and frankly you sounded confused.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    What have I taken out of context?
  • Reply 79 of 101
    crowley said:
    I'd quite like that magnetic port to be the single connection to the new Apple Display.
    You can't be that dense. Is this some gag that I'm not getting?
    edited October 2016 ireland
  • Reply 80 of 101
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    polymnia said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:

Have any of you considered you may get BOTH? No need to fight.

The following scenarios assume USB-C can provide the necessary power to charge the new MBP.

Scenario 1: MagSafe 3
    Apple includes a new MagSafe 3 plug on the MBP. It is thinner than MagSafe 2, probably smaller than USB-C. I'd love it if they could make is round, so ANY orientation works, not just 0° and 180°. MagSafe 3 includes only the contacts necessary to charge the MacBook from a (relatively) dumb USB-C power brick. This is for non-docking MBP users. eg. Charging in a public place, on a coffee table, at school, all the places MagSafe's breakaway behavior is a Mac-saver.

Scenario 2: Thunderbolt Display 2 (or any dock, for that matter)
    Any dock with a beefy enough power supply can connect via USB-C to any port on the MBP, supplying power as well as passing through data (USB, Thunderbolt, Video, etc.). See justifications below:
    • Accidental kicking of the power supply (presumably) isn't a problem in a docked situation.
    • Using one of the MBP's built-in USB-C ports isn't a problem since there is almost certainly another USB-C on the Display/dock/whatever, as well as lots of other connectors—the reason you are using a dock in the first place, right?
    As long as both USB-C provides enough power, I don't see why any port, data-capable or not, even different ports on different days in different situations can't work.

It would fit nicely with the port consolidation Apple has been working toward.
    Scenario 1 option B - "Smart connector" is Magsafe 3 for all Apples devices and will be placed in the middle lower back edge of the screen side near the hinge or even as part of the new hinge so it can connect open or closed.  Yes that then leaves USB-c connectors on the sides of the laptops for both data and power connections.