Safari stopped working

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Safari suddenly quit working two days ago. I've even downloaded El Capitan again, but Safari still doesn't work. The most I can get out of it is a new page that slides off the desktop to the right. I've tried finding it on alternate desktops but no luck. HELP doesn't give me an answer.
 URL's won't open in Safari but will in FireFox.  I haven't found an answer by googling the problem.

Does any AI member know how to  bring  Safari back? 

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I downloaded Sierra thinking that would bring Safari back, but it didn't. Safari won't open URLs and, if I try to open a new window in Safari, it slides off the right side of the desktop and out of sight. I have no other desktops open and no way to find where the Safari window went.  Does anyone know what's happening or how I can correct the problem?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Check to see if you've already downloaded the latest version of Safari.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I assume this is the latest version that comes with Sierra.

Safari

Version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)

• Reply 4 of 6
    An innovative web browser with some of the most advanced features, Safari is the browser of choice for all Apple products. Safari is included with the Mac OS X and iOS operating systems. With its blazing fast speed, users are able to surf the wide web effortlessly on any other their devices, including Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Utilizing the powers of iCloud, users are able to browse through all previously bookmarked pages, so favorite sites are always right at hand. Convenient multi-touch gestures that are built right into the browser for simple navigation. For optimal viewing, users can zoom in or out, scroll up or down, and swipe left or right to travel between separate pages. Safari Reader also allows the opportunity to avoid distracting advertisements while reading online articles in peace. There is actually not much that Safari cannot do; it even checks for spelling or grammar errors when typing and offers top-notch search engine suggestions. Specifically designed with security in mind, Safari protects personal data by highlighting the legitimate sites and providing safe encryption technology for a worry-free browsing experience.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    That's all well and good, but if Safari doesn't work at all, what good is it? Evidently, you haven't read my description of the problem. Do you have any suggestions about how to make it work?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I assume Safari works for a different user account.  First create a temporary account and see if it works there.  If it does, you can try to trash your preferences, plugin and cache for Safari.  

From Terminal.
    cd ~/Library/Preferences
    rm com.apple.Safari*
    cd ~/Library/Caches
    rm com.apple.safari*
    cd ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
    rm *