Apple might debut 'MagSafe-like' USB-C adapter with redesigned MacBook Pro line

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    HP has Kaby Lake and DDR4- If Apple doesn't match that, I'll have to pass
    Kaby Lake processors appropriate for the MBP are not available yet. The Skylake chips expected to show up in the MBP are in no shipping laptop at all (the lowest tier in that line, the 6770HQ is only shipping in the Intel Skull Canyon NUC.

So go ahead and pass for a completely invalid reason.
    stompypscooter63mattinozjax44
  • Reply 82 of 101
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    HP has Kaby Lake and DDR4- If Apple doesn't match that, I'll have to pass
    Kaby Lake processors appropriate for the MBP are not available yet. The Skylake chips expected to show up in the MBP are in no shipping laptop at all (the lowest tier in that line, the 6770HQ is only shipping in the Intel Skull Canyon NUC.

So go ahead and pass for a completely invalid reason.
    "The Skylake chips expected to show up in the MBP are in no shipping laptop at all"

Actually, there is one: The new 14" Razer Blade. And it includes an Nvidia GTX1060 (6GB VRAM) discreet GPU

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade
  • Reply 83 of 101
  • Reply 84 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    I'd quite like that magnetic port to be the single connection to the new Apple Display.
    You can't be that dense. Is this some gag that I'm not getting?
    Why am I dense?  For having an opinion?

How about you try responding to me without profanity, ALL CAPS, or the general air of obnoxiousness, and then maybe I might understand where you're coming from?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 85 of 101
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    I'd quite like that magnetic port to be the single connection to the new Apple Display.

How about you try responding to me without profanity, ALL CAPS, or the general air of obnoxiousness, and then maybe I might understand where you're coming from?
    Sure, you're entitled to your opinion along with flat Earth society members and evolution deniers, but that doesn't change the fact that you're ignoring the science/technology, reason, and logic when stating your opinion.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 86 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion along with flat Earth society members and evolution deniers, but that doesn't change the fact that you're ignoring the science/technology, reason, and logic when stating your opinion.

Am I ignoring science/technology, reason and logic, or are you just being a hyperbolic asshat as usual?

If there are insurmountable technological barriers to bringing a magnetic connector to a high bandwidth port then that is of course a shame, and as I said, I'll be disappointed. I won't blame Apple for being unable to do the impossible, but that doesn't mean I can't desire something better.

As for logic and reason, you're going to have to be a bit more specific in pointing out my errors.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mac_128 said:
    jvmb said:
    I think a magsafe usb-c connector would be a bad idea, unless it is only used for power. Losing the power on a battery powered laptop for a minute is not a problem. Losing a data connection while you are connected to a network, external drive, or blu-ray burner can be a problem. 
    But then why make it look like USB-C that can handle data?  Why not leave it MagSafe?
    To give you options. 4 USBc connectors, and put the mag-safe power adapter in any port you want. If you need all four, then remove it.

im also expecting them to add a Lightning port for a 5th option for power and data, not to mention headphones.
    That would make a YUGE amount of sense.   It is silly to maintain different connectors for different products.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    I am thinking that the debates over Mac hardware are a bit silly...

Macs cannot compete against HP, Lenovo, etc. on hardware (at least as long as they are using the same hardware).   They'll be beaten every time.

What sets Macs apart is the Apple OS and the Apple infrastructure.   Without that, Macs are just an overpriced dinosaur.
    zoetmb
  • Reply 89 of 101

Macs cannot compete against HP, Lenovo, etc. on hardware (at least as long as they are using the same hardware).   They'll be beaten every time.

What sets Macs apart is the Apple OS and the Apple infrastructure.   Without that, Macs are just an overpriced dinosaur.
    Are they using the same HW? Which "HP, Lenovo, etc." have been using a MagSafe connector? Have you used trackpads by other OEMs?
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Soli said:

Are they using the same HW? Which "HP, Lenovo, etc." have been using a MagSafe connector? Have you used trackpads by other OEMs?
    Those are just minor frills....   The basic foundation of CPU, GPU, memory, storage, etc....  are the same off the shelf components whether you're buying Apple or Lenovo.

The difference is a bit like buying a Honda Civic LX vs an EX-L:  under the frills, they are essentially the same car.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    This entire discussion is silly, IMO.  Wait four days, then argue about what they've actually done, which the fanboys will defend no matter what and people who had no intention of buying a new machine anyway will criticize along with those who have legitimate criticisms, who will also learn to live with whatever Apple does, as most always do, good or bad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 101
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:

Those are just minor frills....   The basic foundation of CPU, GPU, memory, storage, etc....  are the same off the shelf components whether you're buying Apple or Lenovo.

The difference is a bit like buying a Honda Civic LX vs an EX-L:  under the frills, they are essentially the same car.
    I completely disagree with your characterization that the basic foundation of a Mac is "CPU, GPU, memory, storage, etc."

The things you refer to as "minor frills" are exactly why people choose Macs over the garden variety PCs mentioned in a prior comment.

Superior track pads. MagSafe connectors. Thunderbolt, 1st party OS, Attractive 1st part OS, and many others I'm not thinking about right now are why I choose Macs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Soli said:

Wow! I can't fathom how you see Apple's engineering and materials as such a pointless part of the user experience. I see countless ways in which Macs (and some other high-end machines) are better because of their design and construction, not just some basic specs for the components. Hell, you might as well macOS is the same as Windows since "it's all 1's and 0's."
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 94 of 101

polymnia said:
    Soli said:

I completely disagree with your characterization that the basic foundation of a Mac is "CPU, GPU, memory, storage, etc."

The things you refer to as "minor frills" are exactly why people choose Macs over the garden variety PCs mentioned in a prior comment.

Superior track pads. MagSafe connectors. Thunderbolt, 1st party OS, Attractive 1st part OS, and many others I'm not thinking about right now are why I choose Macs.
    Exhibit A: Opening the lid (approx. 3 minutes into the video)

edited October 2016
  • Reply 95 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Soli said:

polymnia said:
    Soli said:

The Surfacebook is terribly designed. Kind of makes my skin crawl tbh. Give my any other top windows laptop over that plastic-like, unbalanced, armadillo-hinged, incorrect aspect ratio, lower battery life than claimed, graded on a curve mess. That MS released a product with that hinge tells you all you need to know about the company. They think they are so clever for doing this design—I think it shows how clever they are not. It screams doughy, unfocused, undisciplined design. It's MS's microwavefridge.
    edited October 2016 Solifastasleep
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Soli said:
    rezwits said:
    I know there are times you want to improve things, but when you get something right you get something right, you don't just kill it off because it looks better or removes some circuits. I guess you could call this the purest example of: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Ask yourself this how many people do you know have a broken Magsafe port? (I know a couple people out of 5 million will rush to this post to give their comment but seriously!)
    So you're saying you want a dedicated MagSafe port and one less USB port, over simply moving the magnetic mechanism to the cable so you can gain another USB port, and use both sides of your laptop for attaching a power cable?
    No, I am saying this post is great, if they continue the innovation by making SAID CABLE/DONGLE/ADAPTER, then hell yeah!  Keep magSafe alive somehow...
    Soli
  • Reply 97 of 101
    rezwits said:
    Soli said:
    rezwits said:
    I know there are times you want to improve things, but when you get something right you get something right, you don't just kill it off because it looks better or removes some circuits. I guess you could call this the purest example of: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Ask yourself this how many people do you know have a broken Magsafe port? (I know a couple people out of 5 million will rush to this post to give their comment but seriously!)
    So you're saying you want a dedicated MagSafe port and one less USB port, over simply moving the magnetic mechanism to the cable so you can gain another USB port, and use both sides of your laptop for attaching a power cable?
    No, I am saying this post is great, if they continue the innovation by making SAID CABLE/DONGLE/ADAPTER, then hell yeah!  Keep magSafe alive somehow…
    It will remain alive, even if Apple doesn't offer their own solution.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    New metal injection molded hinges are anticipated for application in all new MacBook iterations.

So still no Liquidmetal... *sigh*
  • Reply 99 of 101
    cornchip said:
       So still no Liquidmetal... *sigh*
    I want bouncy laptops, damn it!
  • Reply 100 of 101
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    ireland said:
    Soli said:

polymnia said:
    Soli said:

The Surfacebook is terribly designed. Kind of makes my skin crawl tbh. Give my any other top windows laptop over that plastic-like, unbalanced, armadillo-hinged, incorrect aspect ratio, lower battery life than claimed, graded on a curve mess. That MS released a product with that hinge tells you all you need to know about the company. They think they are so clever for doing this design—I think it shows how clever they are not. It screams doughy, unfocused, undisciplined design. It's MS's microwavefridge.
    Kinda sad. The Surface is certainly an ambitious and imaginative device. It is the only Windows device I've had any interest in since…well, pretty much ever.

too bad they fell down in execution.

people complain how apple rarely redesigns devices and generally uses a single construction technique across their whole product line. Some might call that a lack of imagination. I call it mastery of a medium.
    Soli