Apple registers Russian trademarks for three new MacBooks ahead of Oct. 27 event

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mattinoz said:
    Maybe the will unify the new MacBook and the Pro's into one line which could well be 12"/14"/16" screens after all distinct screen format changes like the change to wide screen did in the past warrant a new family number.
    I hope not.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    mattinoz said:
    I know some people here don't care much about posts on Macrumors forums but someone that posted had a pretty interesting theory regarding the leaked model numbers of this Russian trademark: check out post #207

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-registers-three-new-macs-in-eurasia-ahead-of-thursdays-hello-again-event.2008894/page-9

"Happy to say you are wrong lol. What you are referring to may be model number, but this article stated that the leaked model numbers are A1706,A1707 and A1708. This doesn't quite fit into the format you are stating. You may say what you've looked up is called part number. Check this website for the part numbers of each MacBook Pro models, which Apple says are model number and admittedly quiteconfusing:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201300

Now check this website which has the model numbers of all Macs ever built:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/mac-specs-by-model-number-family-number.html

I've checked carefully in this website that under the same product line the model number only changes when there is a physical change to the hardware. That's why the Early 2015 MacBook and Early 2016 MacBook have the same model number, but the Late 2012 and Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro have different model numbers because the 2013 MBP is ever so slightly thinner. The model number doesn't change with spec upgrades so the MBPs have stayed with the same model number since late 2013.
    Another point is, it really doesn't make sense to have these 3 leaked new model numbers representing a 13", 15" MBP and a new 13" rMB. They are not under the same product line and none of the Macs that are different class have consecutive numberings. E.g. You don't see an iMac and a Mac mini will have consecutive model number due to them having very different physical form factors.

Hence, the only reason to justify the 3 consecutive model numbers is Apple has 3 form factors planned right from the start when they are developing the newly redesigned MBP. So echoing previous posts, I am calling it too: we will see a 13" / 15" / 17" MBP on Thursday. I am honestly surprised by this because no leaks about this is out until now."
    Given it's a whole new series number doesn't that imply something new altogether?
    I mean the Retina Pro didn't get a new family number it just fitted into the existing number family also the unibody was in the same family with machine overhaul.

Maybe the will unify the new MacBook and the Pro's into one line which could well be 12"/14"/16" screens after all distinct screen format changes like the change to wide screen did in the past warrant a new family number.
    "Maybe the will unify the new MacBook and the Pro's into one line which could well be 12"/14"/16"

That was my initial thought as well.
  • Reply 23 of 25

Wonder what will be on that 13" MacBook to justify its spot alongside the 12"? Can't be just a 13" version of the standard MacBook, that would make no sense for Apple to do. Hopefully it'll have the more powerful Skylake processors and maybe a few more ports to differentiate it. Could it be an ARM powered laptop? macOS has added the ARM Hurricane family support to the code. Maybe this'll be its introduction? Would be pretty cool and would be the groundbreaking thing to justify the Hello Again tagline for the event. Just thinking out loud here.

When Apple introduced the Intel Macs they were apparently testing it for several years with OS releases.  So probably too soon for an ARM release, although I'm hoping they do.

CPU development in terms of computing power has stalled, less so in the GPU space so Apple should concentrate on adding more up to date GPUs to their lineup.

Geekbench 3 scores to illustrate my point:
    2012 Macbook Pro 15" 2.6ghz - 12.6k
    2014 Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz - 14k
    2015 Lenovo with Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Skylake)- 12.5k

So not much to look forward to from a cpu performance standpoint.  That probably explains to some degree why Apple hasn't updated the Macs in a while but doesn't excuse the lack of updates for GPUs.

Looks like the big news will be new ports, GPUs, and the OLED bar. And then in 2 years we'll actually get a meaningful bump in CPU power, hopefully from Apple's own ARM chip.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Looks like the big news will be new ports, GPUs, and the OLED bar. And then in 2 years we'll actually get a meaningful bump in CPU power, hopefully from Apple's own ARM chip.

All versions of Mac OS X ran on intel processors, so that's no indication of whether they'll switch to ARM or not.  I'm really hoping that the lowest-end-new-MacBook runs on a custom ARM chip.  I think it'd be an awesome and "courageous" step forward for them and I very well may get onboard with one just for college purposes!  :)

--Lex

Soli
  • Reply 25 of 25
    With the same serie number and same form factor you do not need a new filling? The serie number A 1418 and A1419 with a new processor, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 is then still possible.