I would like some media buying advice (CD-Rs notably).

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I finished my stock of 100+ cdrs in about a year. They were of the MMORE brand (if anybody knows that). I'm reasonably happy with them, although I do think they might be a bit (a little bit) flimsy (in that you can see somewhat through them).

I am in the market for a new batch of cdrs, and I was wondering what is considered to be the best brand. I am especially concerned with durability, as I tend to archive and backup on these discs, and I wouldn't like to find that, in five years, most of my cds have serious rot.

I was thinking Verbatim might be the way to go. They do have some far out colors, and you cannot see through them (at least, the 10-pack I once had). The also look thick enough.

Anyway, I have an 8x8x24x combo drive, but it's not unthinkable that I would go to something very much faster in the future.

Anybody have a brand they are particularly happy with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I've tried some of the major brands (Verbatim, Sony, Fuji, Maxell) and none of them have given me any real grief. I kind of like Fuji, since they have quirky little gimmicks to get you to buy their stuff, like a free coupon for a Big Mac (even though I hate McDonald's).

In all seriousness, Fuji and Verbatim are the best brands to me. Their packaging talks about fancy-schmancy things they put into their discs, and while I can't vouch for how true it is, I can say that they've held up better with time than the cheap CD's I also use.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The key with CD-R is whether it was made in Taiwan or Japan.

Fujis are the only major brand I know of that are ALWAYS made in Japan. Verbatim is not bad but Fujis are usually priced better and do a LOT of rebate deals.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    My favorites are Sony, Fuji and TDK. I use those for more important things and I use no-name CompUSA bought ones for other little things (the 100 pack that's like $20).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    for anything that's important to me, i only use verbatim.

i have cd's now that i burned 5 years ago. the verbatim ones are the only ones that still read on any player.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Personally, i've used TDK, Packard Bell, EMTEC, Sony, Mitsui (all good quality brands) and cheaper branded ones like Creation and Mr Data and have had no trouble with any of them.

Best to stick with a top name brand for archiving.

Avoid CDRs that are very skinny and use a lot of blue dye, the more silver they look the better.

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: MiMac ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i have never had any problems of any kind with verbatim disks (reading writing etc) and i have been using them for 4 or 5 years. the same cannot be said for some of the generic crap i've used.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have always had great faith in TDK media, from when I used to put albums onto audio tapes. Their CDs are also pretty rock solid and quite cheap if you buy bulk.