• Reply 21 of 39
    why do they call these wireless

I can see the wire

it's right there
    neilm
  • Reply 22 of 39
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    neilm said:
    And we can tell that these are wireless by...the wires hanging from them?
    Eric_WVGG said:
    why do they call these wireless
    I can see the wire
    it's right there
    That is not a wire, its a lanyard. I expect the -airpods will include lanyards in the box by next generation, and if not the 3rd party market will come to the rescue. 

I have never owned a wireless set of headphones and I was pretty ambivalent about the true need. Corded ones seemed good enough and the idea of something else that needed charging didn't appeal. For me to see the light took about 30 seconds at an  store where I tried a pair of over-ear Beats headphones. As I was listening and realizing the sound was fantastic (for me), it also became crystal clear that the only way forward was cordless. Virtually every incident of pods and headsets being violently ripped out of my ears or off my head, resulting either in a dropped iPhone, hurtful ears, or at the very least a break in the music and whatever task I was performing, flashed before me.  With a 300 foot range and the ability to answer calls it is a no-brainer I am ashamed to admit I didn't see instantly. As far as product evolution go cordless headphones almost qualifies as 'revolutionary'. Late to the party, perhaps, but it is the only way. Hallelujah. 

The Powerbeats 3look great to me - the ear-hoops and lanyard will save them a hundred time over.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguyrandominternetpersonbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    zer0her0 said:
    Love my Powerbeats2 Wireless, so I can't wait for these! But now I'm torn between these and the Air Pods. Hmmmm....
    I'm in the exact same boat, ready to upgrade my Powerbeats2, but not sure if I want to go w/ the Air Pods or the 3s. The 3s have the ear hooks, and cable making easer to keep attached to me, and are water/weather resistant. The APs look so sleek and futuristic though and like the charging case idea (I only use my headset for an hour or two at a time).

Do people like this earhooks?  Perhaps I haven't used them enough to get used to them, but they seem tricky to put on and introduce a new area of discomfort.  Personally, I'm lucky that the Apple ear buds fit my ears perfectly.  Therefore I expect the AirPods to be ideal for me.  Already on my Christmas list.
    Extremely easy to put on, and I won't work out with any thing that doesn't have a hook design. That's just me though. The earbuds/EarPods are ok for just sitting around, but running and lifting weights absolutely not. 
  • Reply 24 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    If I recall the demo correctly, iCloud is used to save and sync your W1-chip setup details so you can set them up on one device and have them work with all the others without any additional setup (as easy as it is), and it will more intelligently know when you're using a certain device for audio. Yet, you can still use them with any device that can use BT audio. Seems like a huge advancement to a useful yet clumsy technology. If headphone sales already surpased the 50% of revenue I can only imagine this will push that even further, not to mention make Beats even more money for Apple.

What are you referring to with your last sentence?  (Perhaps 50% of Beats revenue is now from wireless?)
    The entire headphone market in the US.

PS: I don't know why someone would dislike your post for merely asking a reasonable question.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 25 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sflagel said:

(I don't care about the W1 chip at all; I think pairing by pressing the on/off button on the headphones is as convenient as anything can ever be)
    try using them on multiple devices. it's a hassle. 
    Soli
  • Reply 26 of 39
    mac_128 said:
    That W1 chip must be harder to make than Kaby Lake processors.

I cant believe a month an a half later and the one innovation that makes removing the headphone jack a positive is still not available for purchase, except in the most expensive bulky form of the Beats Solo3.
    nonsense. i've been enjoying a larger battery, better camera, and water protection from day 1 -- the actual tangibles gained from eliminating the legacy port. W1 will be an nice bonus but there's still BT today. 
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    If I recall the demo correctly, iCloud is used to save and sync your W1-chip setup details so you can set them up on one device and have them work with all the others without any additional setup (as easy as it is), and it will more intelligently know when you're using a certain device for audio. Yet, you can still use them with any device that can use BT audio. Seems like a huge advancement to a useful yet clumsy technology. If headphone sales already surpased the 50% of revenue I can only imagine this will push that even further, not to mention make Beats even more money for Apple.

What are you referring to with your last sentence?  (Perhaps 50% of Beats revenue is now from wireless?)

PS: I don't know why someone would dislike your post for merely asking a reasonable question.
    Interesting.  With Beats the market leader.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39

sflagel said:

(I don't care about the W1 chip at all; I think pairing by pressing the on/off button on the headphones is as convenient as anything can ever be)
    More or less of a hassle than regular Bluetooth?  Hopefully a little less.  My household has too many devices sharing too many BT speakers.  I've basically given up trying to synch up with some of them because it's too finicky.  
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Beats has been a great buy for Apple and I think it's only going to improve for them as BT headphones become even more popular.
    polymnianolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 39
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    sflagel said:

That may be. I'll think about it now. Especially if they can be used to watch videos:

Does anyone know if the headphones will have the audio lag when watching video?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

sflagel said:

More or less of a hassle than regular Bluetooth?  Hopefully a little less.  My household has too many devices sharing too many BT speakers.  I've basically given up trying to synch up with some of them because it's too finicky.  
    He was referring to regular BT pairing on multiple devices being a hassle.  With the W1 chip, per the demos at the launch, and posted experiences by the Solo3 reviews, the W1-pairing method is seamless.  One touch and you are done for all your devices.

I am really looking forward to the ability for the W1 enabled devices (whether AirPods or these PB3) to be able to instantly switch from iPhone to Apple Watch, depending on which one is playing at the time.
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    zer0her0 said:
    Love my Powerbeats2 Wireless, so I can't wait for these! But now I'm torn between these and the Air Pods. Hmmmm....
    I'm in the exact same boat, ready to upgrade my Powerbeats2, but not sure if I want to go w/ the Air Pods or the 3s. The 3s have the ear hooks, and cable making easer to keep attached to me, and are water/weather resistant. The APs look so sleek and futuristic though and like the charging case idea (I only use my headset for an hour or two at a time).
    I'm a PowerBeats2 daily user. They are around my neck for about 8 hours a day while working. They are in my ears for a 4 mile walk (about another hours) with my dog every evening unless my girlfriend is walking with me.

I'm really looking forward to the vastly increased battery life. I walk around with a Goal Zero battery pack and stubby Micro USB cord just to top the things off at least once a day. The PB2s have the most solid signal of any BT headset I've ever used, but they do drop out here and there. The Class 1 power will be a welcome improvement, as well.

The sound quality isn't amazing, but considering what they are, I'm pleased. Music doesn't hurt my ears and the PB2s are more than up to the task of playing podcasts. I have other, stationary, audio equipment for my discerning ears when I want to nerd out on sound quality.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39

sflagel said:

im saying regular BT pairing of one headset onto multiple devices, say even just between an iphone & apple watch, is a hassle. perhaps it depends on brand, but with my Platronics if i watch to switch them from my phone to my watch i have to re-enter a pairing mode and then pick it from the watch's UI and hope it works. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 34 of 39
    <blockquote class="Quote">
      <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/194466/sflagel">sflagel</a> said:</div>
      <div class="QuoteText">Can anyone answer one question: will these have the same audio delay when watching videos as the Powerbeats2 Wireless do? Can these be used to watch a movie on the iPhone?<br><br>(I don't care about the W1 chip at all; I think pairing by pressing the on/off button on the headphones is as convenient as anything can ever be)</div>
    </blockquote>

The Powerbeats 2 audio delay while watching videos can be fixed by the firmware update. http://www.beatsbydre.com/support/how-to/firmware-updates-beats-updater.html

• Reply 35 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

It is worth pointing out that revenue is going to be higher because BT headsets are a lot more expensive. 
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Rayz2016 said:
    It is worth pointing out that revenue is going to be higher because BT headsets are a lot more expensive. 
    Of course. Apple's dominated the consumer PC, PMP, smartphone, media extender appliance, tablet, and smartwatch markets with fewer unit sales because they had a more expensive product people were willing to pay for. I don't think the headphone market will be any different, especially with the W1 chip. BT headphones were 16% of the unit sales despite the higher cost. I expect this will be increase YoY.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 37 of 39
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    SpaceWolf said:
    <blockquote class="Quote">
      <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/194466/sflagel">sflagel</a> said:</div>
      <div class="QuoteText">Can anyone answer one question: will these have the same audio delay when watching videos as the Powerbeats2 Wireless do? Can these be used to watch a movie on the iPhone?<br><br>(I don't care about the W1 chip at all; I think pairing by pressing the on/off button on the headphones is as convenient as anything can ever be)</div>
    </blockquote>

The Powerbeats 2 audio delay while watching videos can be fixed by the firmware update. http://www.beatsbydre.com/support/how-to/firmware-updates-beats-updater.html

Oh wow. I feel a bit stupid now. Thanks for the tip, I did the firmware update (not the most intuitive process, but it worked) and all good now.  I now don't need to buy the 3s....
  • Reply 38 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    polymnia said:
    zer0her0 said:
    ...but they do drop out here and there. The Class 1 power will be a welcome improvement, as well.

I noticed when walking with my PB2 that they sometimes drop when I'm holding phone in right hand and it swings behind my body.

Left side it doesn't happen.

The increased range should fix this.

The sound is great with two speakers in each earpiece.