Rumor: Apple has made mockups of iMessage for Android with 'Material Design'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    MathieuWacowichMathieuWacowich Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

There is no real winner in the messaging App area. Google can't seem to settle on anything. iMessage is very popular on iPhones. With all that it can do now, it's the perfect time for it to come out on Android also. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If Apple doesn't do it, you leave it wide open for anyone and everyone else to take a huge chunk of the market. If that becomes the so called standard, that starts getting used more and more, and iMessage less and less. Android is 80% of the marketplace NOW. So just cutting out 80% of the possible users seems dumb. I don't have a iPhone because of iMessage. Having it on Android wouldn't get me to switch to Android for a long list of reasons. BBM tried to come out for everyone, but it was already dead. They waited and waited for years, and Blackberry phones as that point were almost dead and they finally decided to put BBM out on iOS and Android, and by that point it was to late. Look, Who uses it now? I sure don't. I don't think many do. There's zero reason to. I hate having to resort to 3rd party texting app's because iMessage is not out on Android!!! That's Apple basically forcing iPhone users to use some other 3rd party app for texting. How is that good for Apple?
    I thought the same.  BlackBerry could have stayed relevant had they made BBM cross-platform, but it was too little too late.  And their iOS app was uggly as sin.  As the competition make better phones and if someone comes along with the "universal" chat agent... then Apple, or the iPhone, will lose significant market share. That being said, leave iMessage on the Mac and never port over to windows! :smile: 
  • Reply 22 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    igorsky said:
    I still don't see a single benefit for Apple to release an Android version of iMessage. I say this as a user and as a shareholder.
    I think Whatsapp sees a lot of benefit to Apple keeping iMessage an iOS-only application. If it weren't, nobody would bother with that invasive turd. But if you have friends or family abroad that use Android, it's pretty much the only way you can communicate without either party spending a fortune.
    Dude...get real. There're at least 20 chat apps across platforms. For once, use the damn Facebook chat...unless your family abroad don't have FB...I doubt it. This argument is bs. iMessage should remain Apple exclusive for it to be manageable and secured. 
  • Reply 23 of 56
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

Think about how many people use non-Apple services that are cross platform because their services are superior to Apple's. Bring iMessage to Android and you've given all these people a reason NOT to own an iPhone (I don't think privacy is as big of a reason for people choosing iOS). But I suppose since you follow the Wall Street herd mentality you think Apple should get out of hardware business anyway so who cares.

I'd rather see Apple make their hardware, software, services and ecosystem best in class so people aren't tempted to use Google services or someone else's hardware.
    Completely agree!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Maybe make the android iMessage app *receive* all the cool gifs and extras that are new in iOS10 but not be able to send them. That way iPhone users can force Android users to respond to their messages and see what the iPhone can do, saving iPhone users $$$, but still crippling the Android experience. Apple is good at crippling, sounds right up their alley.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    sog35 said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

There is no real winner in the messaging App area. Google can't seem to settle on anything. iMessage is very popular on iPhones. With all that it can do now, it's the perfect time for it to come out on Android also. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If Apple doesn't do it, you leave it wide open for anyone and everyone else to take a huge chunk of the market. If that becomes the so called standard, that starts getting used more and more, and iMessage less and less. Android is 80% of the marketplace NOW. So just cutting out 80% of the possible users seems dumb. I don't have a iPhone because of iMessage. Having it on Android wouldn't get me to switch to Android for a long list of reasons. BBM tried to come out for everyone, but it was already dead. They waited and waited for years, and Blackberry phones as that point were almost dead and they finally decided to put BBM out on iOS and Android, and by that point it was to late. Look, Who uses it now? I sure don't. I don't think many do. There's zero reason to. I hate having to resort to 3rd party texting app's because iMessage is not out on Android!!! That's Apple basically forcing iPhone users to use some other 3rd party app for texting. How is that good for Apple?
    Put iMessage on Android and I guarantee you will see a drop in iPhone sales. I'm sure Google would love nothing more than having iMessage available for their Pixel phone. What is going to make up for lost iPhone revenue? Apple's 30% cut of iMessage sticker packs? Does Apple have high margin non-hardware revenue streams waiting in the wings?
    No one is going to stop buying an iPhone because an Android phone has iMessage. That is flat out silly.
    You're wrong. Many people including me love iPhone mostly because of its exclusiveness. Once you merge with Android, you lose that edge. Btw, you were the one against this idea a while back, and now back it. Have an integrity would you!
  • Reply 26 of 56
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

There is no real winner in the messaging App area.
    iMessage is the real winner; has been since it was first released. Just ask Google about their 8 failed attempts at replicating it.
    edited October 2016 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    igorsky said:
    jbdragon said:
    There is no real winner in the messaging App area.
    iMessage is the real winner; has been since it was first released. Just ask Google about their 8 failed attempts at replicating it.
    I agree, but it's also been marred with some of the most headscratchingly weird bugs in its first couple years of relase. Nothing was so severe, like with Siri, that you stop using parts of it if it doesn't work properly.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 28 of 56
    igorsky said:
    igorsky said:
    I still don't see a single benefit for Apple to release an Android version of iMessage. I say this as a user and as a shareholder.
    I think Whatsapp sees a lot of benefit to Apple keeping iMessage an iOS-only application. If it weren't, nobody would bother with that invasive turd.
    But how does this hurt Apple or iMessage? It doesn't. I'd say, if anything, it hurts Apple to give up that exclusivity. I don't love WhatsApp but it's not a big deal to use on occasion. Not to mention that WA has 1 billion daily users...who's to say that Android users will be so quick to use iMessage?

iMessage is a big Apple asset. It's really the only messenger, to date, that's been able to seamlessly mix internal messaging with SMS. If I'm Apple why would I want to take away such a differentiator?
    It hurts Apple because now Apple has to support other 80% mobile market without a single dime extra in benefit. Do you think Apple doesn't need to upgrade the infrastructure to accommodate that mass market? What about they're crashing iMessage server all the times? 
    Use FB chat. It's cross platforms and almost everyone has FB accounts.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 29 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rob53 said:
    igorsky said:
    I think Whatsapp sees a lot of benefit to Apple keeping iMessage an iOS-only application. If it weren't, nobody would bother with that invasive turd. But if you have friends or family abroad that use Android, it's pretty much the only way you can communicate without either party spending a fortune.
    I agree. It doesn't matter how much I strongly suggest to people not to use anything from Google and any Android-based smartphone, a bunch of them only care about the bottom line and Android phones are cheaper (in both ways). That said, iMessage doesn't use SMS so it doesn't cost against anyone's text messaging costs. It's also secure and I hope it would be on Android. If I could get Android-user friends to use iMessage it would benefit me as well as them. The world will never be Apple-only so we might as well allow Android users to see what they're missing with iMessage. (For all you Apple haters, don't even bother to reply to my comment, I know how you feel.)
    The latest Google Messenger beta confirms RCS being added quite soon. For those that don't know what that means there's this:
    http://www.gsma.com/network2020/technology/rcs/
    https://jibe.google.com/

FWIW I expect many of the current messaging providers to begin using RCS in the near future, perhaps including Apple's own iMessage. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 56
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    igorsky said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

Put iMessage on Android and I guarantee you will see a drop in iPhone sales. I'm sure Google would love nothing more than having iMessage available for their Pixel phone. What is going to make up for lost iPhone revenue? Apple's 30% cut of iMessage sticker packs? Does Apple have high margin non-hardware revenue streams waiting in the wings?
    Totally agree with this...no doubt Apple execs are thinking the same.
    Unless you think about it differently, the smartphone market is divided into high end $600 + phones mid rage $400 - $300 range and low end $150 - below $100, now Apple only operates in the premium space because that's where the money is and even the SE is quite pricy to most, so this means that there is a large segment of the makert that even if it wanted an iPhone they just couldn't afford one thus left to android who promises modem technology at a cheaper price it's not a great experience but beggars can't be choosers. Then theres the other side of high end android phones that directly compete with Apple, most of these people buy becase they just dont know any better and think android is the same as an iPhone and the rest is people who know better but just like android, despise Apple with a vengeance and wount part with the little green robot for anything, these folks have to be left to the devil that posses them, but for those who can afford Apple but aren't awere of what really makes it better will really never know until they use it on a daily bases and what better way than something people do incessantly all day long, texting. so IMO I don't think iMassage is the difinition of iOS, its a markerting tool on other platforms but a native built-in featuer on iPhone, it serves Apple very little to keep iMassage as a carrot to lure switchers when they've never tasted a carrot ever, I think Apple should release "(aMassage) for android that securely and seamlessly connects with iMassage on iPhone" let them get used to the Apple experience for 3 to 4 years then cut it for premium phones just as sumsung and friends are about to release new flagships that'll drive up iPhone switchers above those who would have been switching staidly because of the great impression left by iMassage's Apple experience. Apple coud deliver its most devastating blow by using iMassage as a trojen horse, kill them from the inside.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    iMessage is on my iPhone,iPad, & Macs. I don't have a windows PC, but if I did have one, I would like to have iMessage on it and also on my Android phone if I had one. I want less places to use messaging, calling, etc , Not More. Integrated solutions make sense to me. Maybe iMessage is on window, I don't know.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    igorsky said:
    I certainly don’t see a benefit to releasing it USING GOOGLE’S SHITTY DESIGN. That’s like going to hell with an empty glass and filling it with boiling water before giving it to someone.
    watto_cobrabestkeptsecret
  • Reply 33 of 56
    igorsky said:
    I certainly don’t see a benefit to releasing it USING GOOGLE’S SHITTY DESIGN. That’s like going to hell with an empty glass and filling it with boiling water before giving it to someone.
    I think it depends on how much revenue they can generate from the iMessage App Store. They certainly saw a financial advantage to Apple Music on Android so it's unreasonable to think Apple will do the same with iMessage, if there's a financial incentive.
    ronn
  • Reply 34 of 56
    NO!  Must be a bad dream.  Must wake up.

Has the world gone mad?
  • Reply 35 of 56
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I hate green messages but at least I know when a person is a loser.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    sog35 said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    I'd say go for it.

No one is going to stop buying an iPhone because an Android phone has iMessage. That is flat out silly.
    It's not silly at all. One could argue THE stickiest thing about iPhone is iMessage. Apple needs to make their services best in class and not be so goddamed stingy with cloud storage so people don't want to use cross-platform services like gmail and google photos.
    Soli
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Soli said:
    igorsky said:
    I think it depends on how much revenue they can generate from the iMessage App Store. They certainly saw a financial advantage to Apple Music on Android so it's unreasonable to think Apple will do the same with iMessage, if there's a financial incentive.
    Beats Music was already on Android so Music was the most logical app/service to test on Android.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    sog35 said:
    It's not silly at all. One could argue THE stickiest thing about iPhone is iMessage. Apple needs to make their services best in class and not be so goddamed stingy with cloud storage so people don't want to use cross-platform services like gmail and google photos.
    I disagree with people that want Apple to give them extra storage for every iDevice they buy and enough storage to match the capacity of all their Apple devices (mostly for logistical reasons), but I do agree that Apple is stingy with iCloud storage. I use just enough that I finally gave in and purchased the lowest tier at 99¢ per month. It's a ridiclously small cost, but I think Apple's customer service and support would look better if they offered enough space to at least store backups from 2 iDevices for free.
    irelandroundaboutnow
  • Reply 39 of 56
    volcan said:
    I hate green messages but at least I know when a person is a loser.
    Oh, speaking of which. Thanks for reminding me.

Why doesn’t iMessage support bold/italic/underline? I get that you can’t send SMS with text formatting, but why is iMessage limited to not showing it at all? Didn’t AIM in iChat have that ability? I haven’t contacted any of my legacy contacts in forever; I can’t remember. 

iMessage between iOS 9 and iOS 10 even tells the user that formatting was sent. If you send a full screen message to someone using iOS 9, they get the normal text message in a bubble and then right after it they get another bubble that says (fireworks) or (loud) or (quiet) or whatever the thing was. Can’t we send bold/italic/underline to other iMessage users, and if they DROP OFF to SMS, just IGNORE that formatting?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    For the love of God please do this. I want to get off Facebook Mess and almost half the people I know are on Android. For me the best iMessage experience possible is to use it (not SMS) to send to anyone. I can get rid of kik, FBM and other apps and get Apple's level of privacy and trust. Everyone on Android will download this. I still say Apple has to simplify iMessage signup though.
    edited October 2016 ronn