Official Apple images show new MacBook Pro with OLED 'Magic Toolbar,' Touch ID, new speaker design

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2016
With just a few days to go before Apple is expected to announce its next-generation MacBook Pro, photos contained in the newly released macOS 10.12.1 update appear to show the design of the new notebook, including its dynamic touch-sensitive function row.

Via MacRumors,

What appear to be promotional images for the MacBook Pro were discovered in the latest macOS update, and were published on Tuesday by MacRumors. The pictures suggest that the Touch ID fingerprint sensor will be located to the right of the so-called "Magic Toolbar," appearing as a simple all-black button.

In one image, the OLED touch display shows a user where to place their finger to authorize an Apple Pay purchase. To the far left of the bar, where the escape key would be on a current MacBook Pro, is a digital cancel button.

In another closer image, the MacBook Pro's "Magic Toolbar" is shown blank, with a black display, matching the black keys below it. A slight discoloration in the far right seems to suggest that the Touch ID sensor will not be a part of the OLED display.

In addition to the new dynamic function row, the images also show that the speaker design has been revised, with speaker grilles alongside the keyboard, facing upward.

Multiple pieces of evidence of Apple's anticipated "Magic Toolbar" have been discovered in macOS 10.12.1, including a virtual keyboard system that lacks function keys. It's believed that the new OLED touch bar will dynamically change its appearance and present virtual buttons to users based on the app or task at hand.

All will be revealed this Thursday, when Apple will host its "Hello Again" event from its Cupertino, Calif., corporate headquarters beginning at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there live, providing full coverage.
jagnut

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    That screen bezel though... =(
    aylkdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 104
    Why does it say MacBook Pro under the screen? They haven't had that on there for about four years.
    r00fus1anantksundaramschlackrezwitsaylkdoozydozenireland
  • Reply 3 of 104
    originalg said:
    That screen bezel though... =(
    That retina, perfect colour rendering screen though...8D
    mike1ericthehalfbeeasdasdpte appleSolimejsricmagman1979jkichlinenolamacguyviclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 104
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    I wonder the performance percentage vs my 2013 maxed out.  <30% is a hard sell.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Why does it say MacBook Pro under the screen? They haven't had that on there for about four years.
    Maybe because there's a lot of copycats out there and this clearly indicates the brand on the screenshot. Maybe it's yet another dodge.
    Solidysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 104
    And the Retina MacBook does have its name in the bezel, so...
    Solijkichlinedysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 104
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ...  the Touch ID fingerprint sensor  ...
    I hope Touch ID will eventually replace all logins/passwords.
    Sick and tired of having hundreds of logins/passwords.
    Sick and tired of password manager apps.
    welshdogfotoformatpte applemagman1979williamlondondysamoriadoozydozenpulseimagesration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 104
    sockrolid said:
    ...  the Touch ID fingerprint sensor  ...
    I hope Touch ID will eventually replace all logins/passwords.
    Sick and tired of having hundreds of logins/passwords.
    Sick and tired of password manager apps.
    Yes, and across all apps, not something like just for safari
    mike1jcdinkinswelshdogChelliniwilliamlondondysamoriadoozydozenpulseimagesirelandration al
  • Reply 9 of 104
    What a useless tool, i think apple is forgetting too much the pro user and especially that the path is more clear with yoga or surface, and that they have to merge the two OS. i don't really get it, for the first time in years i am thinking to switch to window. Too useless innovations but more than that not a very good innovations on performance, and if they put the amd graphic card inside... i will really buy window as my next laptop Dell is doing so good now. Why they want to be only phone maker? I know for the revenues, but it's stupid what they are doing, all the professionals i speak too are changing their mind on apple.. also it's so easy for them to produce the best compuetrs.. come on apple stop this nonsense like the mac pro how can you think to not upgrade the processor as for 3 years now? that is really crazy. And the imac how long do we have to wait to see a graphic card in the model 21.5 4k. And also why don't you make iphone and ipad pro a real computer running a real operative system with a finder.. you always ask yourself why tablets are selling less and less.. it is really all up to you bosses at apple .. stop concentrating only on numbers... we are tired of your greediness!!!!
    logic2.6
  • Reply 10 of 104
    gimme back my goddamn escape key!
    ChellinilmagoomobiusasdasddysamoriaargonautnumenoreankirkgraySpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 104
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    The "Magic Toolbar" is a really cool feature. Thursday can't come soon enough. I've been waiting to upgrade my MacBook Pro. 
    Solimagman1979doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 104
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I am weirdly excited by this touch bar thingy.  In a very vague way it reminds me of the old Moog Ribbon Controller that they sold for their modular synths.  Keith Emerson was a user.
    mobiuspte appleanantksundarampaxmandysamoriadoozydozenargonautirelandpscooter63urahara
  • Reply 13 of 104
    What a useless tool, i think apple is forgetting too much the pro user and especially that the path is more clear with yoga or surface, and that they have to merge the two OS. i don't really get it, for the first time in years i am thinking to switch to window. Too useless innovations but more than that not a very good innovations on performance, and if they put the amd graphic card inside... i will really buy window as my next laptop Dell is doing so good now. Why they want to be only phone maker? I know for the revenues, but it's stupid what they are doing, all the professionals i speak too are changing their mind on apple.. also it's so easy for them to produce the best compuetrs.. come on apple stop this nonsense like the mac pro how can you think to not upgrade the processor as for 3 years now? that is really crazy. And the imac how long do we have to wait to see a graphic card in the model 21.5 4k. And also why don't you make iphone and ipad pro a real computer running a real operative system with a finder.. you always ask yourself why tablets are selling less and less.. it is really all up to you bosses at apple .. stop concentrating only on numbers... we are tired of your greediness!!!!
    Here.  Do this.  Save your money and take a combo English/Grammar class.
    rob55mobiusrandominternetpersonmagman1979sphericdysamorianolamacguykbeatdoozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 104
    I'm glad I didn't wait for this...
    xixoaylk
  • Reply 15 of 104
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    jcdinkins said:

Here.  Do this.  Save your money and take a combo English/Grammar class.
    But wait, "Dell is doing so good now." The bearded guy said so.

:D 
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrastevehredgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 104
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    "What a useless tool"
    Yep.
    mobiusrandominternetpersonsphericnolamacguykbeatdoozydozenpulseimagespscooter63watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 17 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well, there is the apple patent on touch ID via a screen verse a physical button, This is proof of concept what we will see on the phones in the future.
    anantksundaramdoozydozenpulseimagesredgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    You win the "useless verbal vomit of the week" award.
    magman1979williamlondondysamorianolamacguydoozydozenargonautirelandpulseimagespscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 104
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    apple criticism/scripted post bot/paid schill said:
    . . .
    Guys, don't waste your time responding to post bots/paid schills.  They've got a list of sites they hit with the same poorly written spam.
    edited October 2016 paxmanmagman1979williamlondonpscooter63uraharawatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Does it still weigh like 3.5 pounds? If it is I think I might be getting 12" macbook