Apple ramping up iPhone 7 production to take advantage of Samsung's Note 7 woes - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    williamh said:
    igorsky said:
    williamh said:
    netmage said:
    The iPhone 7 is an evolutionary improvement? Everything including the case has changed, what more could Apple have changed?
    The differences between apes and humans are evolutionary improvements.  All kidding aside, why do you think the difference between an iPhone 6s and 7 is more than than evolutionary? It's all basically the same but a little better.  And really, the case changed?  It changed so much that I was able to move my Incipio case from my old 6 to my new 7 (two generations of "revolutionary" changes mind you) and it fits fine.

The processor is much better.  The screen is much better.  The home button is much better.  The camera is much better.  The casing is much better.  The haptics are much better. The speakers are much better.

I guess not much has improved aside from these items.
    Do people not understand that words actually have meanings?  Evolutionary means something.  Revolutionary means something else. (It's not a synonym for evolutionary). 
    Wanna bet?  http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/evolutionary?s=t  (But I do agree with you that they are not interchangeable.)
  • Reply 22 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:
    The iPhone 7 is an evolutionary improvement? Everything including the case has changed, what more could Apple have changed?
    If you want to see real revolutionary change look at the Google Pixel.

First phone made entirely by Google. Well except for the CPU...and the GPU. Oh and the case. Oh and its being built by HTC. Oh and the screen. But it was 100% designed by Google! That has to count for something right? Except it was actually designed by a few Apple employees or should I say some stolen CAD drawings of the iPhone6. But still it has the Google logo on it!!!! It must be different!!!

Also the Pixel is revolutionary because it has something called a digital assistant. In other words you can actually talk to your phone! Amazing! Revolutionary!

So there you go.

Apple should be more revolutionary like Google
    As an aside if you want "revolutionary" check out Xiaomi's latest phone, the Mi Mix officially announced yesterday. No it's not just a concept device, it's actually being produced and available to order (if you're in China).

Borderless 6.4" display in the same footprint as an iPhone 7+. Over a 90% screen to body ration. Eliminated the earpiece by using a piezoelectric ceramic driver instead. Got rid of the standard infrared proximity sensor by moving to ultrasonics. All ceramic case. A 50% smaller front camera module engineered to fit that relatively smallish case assembled with a unique tenon joint design with no plastics or adhesives used to hold it together.. . .  

and selling for the US equivalent of less than $520.
    http://en.miui.com/thread-392623-1-1.html

Personally I expect at least a couple of these innovations to appear in the 10th Anniversary edition of the iPhone. I think Apple has big plans for that one. 
    EDIT: I see 9to5 posted up an article just now with that same "coming to the iPhone" theme. 

So, GG, can I buy this "revolutionary" marvel here in the US? If not, why not? Why isn't it being sold here?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 23 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:

First phone made entirely by Google. Well except for the CPU...and the GPU. Oh and the case. Oh and its being built by HTC. Oh and the screen. But it was 100% designed by Google! That has to count for something right? Except it was actually designed by a few Apple employees or should I say some stolen CAD drawings of the iPhone6. But still it has the Google logo on it!!!! It must be different!!!

Also the Pixel is revolutionary because it has something called a digital assistant. In other words you can actually talk to your phone! Amazing! Revolutionary!

So there you go.

As an aside if you want "revolutionary" check out Xiaomi's latest phone, the Mi Mix officially announced yesterday. No it's not just a concept device, it's actually being produced and available to order (if you're in China).

Borderless 6.4" display in the same footprint as an iPhone 7+. Over a 90% screen to body ration. Eliminated the earpiece by using a piezoelectric ceramic driver instead. Got rid of the standard infrared proximity sensor by moving to ultrasonics. All ceramic case. A 50% smaller front camera module engineered to fit that relatively smallish case assembled with a unique tenon joint design with no plastics or adhesives used to hold it together.. . .  

Personally I expect at least a couple of these innovations to appear in the 10th Anniversary edition of the iPhone. I think Apple has big plans for that one. 
    EDIT: I see 9to5 posted up an article just now with that same "coming to the iPhone" theme. 

So, GG, can I buy this "revolutionary" marvel here in the US? If not, why not? Why isn't it being sold here?
    Maybe they're making sure they have enough product for the world's biggest market before moving to a smaller one like the US ;)  I don't know. Why, are you interested in it? If so I'd search at Aliexpress. I don't think they've said anything (yet?) about what the worldwide availability will be. 

EDIT: Ars posted an article about it this morning. According to them it's China only for the time being. 
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/xiaomi-blows-minds-with-the-mi-mix-a-nearly-bezel-less-smartphone/
    ...available from November 4 in China
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 24 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:

So there you go.

Maybe they're making sure they have enough product for the world's biggest market before moving to a smaller one like the US ;)  I don't know. Why, are you interested in it? If so I'd search at Aliexpress. I don't think they've said anything (yet?) about what the worldwide availability will be. 

EDIT: Ars posted an article about it this morning. According to them it's China only for the time being. 
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/xiaomi-blows-minds-with-the-mi-mix-a-nearly-bezel-less-smartphone/
    It's funny to see such an iPhone knockoff manufacture try to push the envelope for a change.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:

So there you go.

Maybe they're making sure they have enough product for the world's biggest market before moving to a smaller one like the US  I don't know. Why, are you interested in it? If so I'd search at Aliexpress. I don't think they've said anything (yet?) about what the worldwide availability will be. 

Oh, I am so glad you asked about why I am interested. I am suggesting that a product that is made for China, by a Chinese company of unknown provenance in the West and mostly sold there (or other similar markets) may have much lower quality assurance/production/IP standards than an iPhone. I am not at all sure that "revolutionary" is quite the word I would use for something that no user or reviewer here in the US has had the chance to see and use in large numbers. In fact, for all I know, it could be "revolutionary" crap that flames out -- pun intended -- like, you know, those famous hoverboards... :D
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 26 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:

So there you go.

It's funny to see such an iPhone knockoff manufacture try to push the envelope for a change.
    I agree. Seems more like something Huawei might do rather than Xiaomi, the Apple copycat. Maybe a tiger can change it's stripes. 
  • Reply 27 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    netmage said:

So there you go.

I'm pretty sure this phone will only be available in very small quantities because of the time required to manufacture the ceramic body.

Ceramic parts cannot be stamped out like steel ones or injection-moulded like plastics. The ceramic blanks would need 36 hours in a kiln to harden, and many more hours of machining and finishing than equivalent sized aluminum blanks.

There's a more in-depth look at the process used in the ceramic Apple watch at the following URL:

http://atomicdelights.com/blog/why-your-next-iphone-wont-be-ceramic
  • Reply 28 of 30
    williamh said:
    netmage said:
    The differences between apes and humans are evolutionary improvements.  All kidding aside, why do you think the difference between an iPhone 6s and 7 is more than than evolutionary? It's all basically the same but a little better.  And really, the case changed?  It changed so much that I was able to move my Incipio case from my old 6 to my new 7 (two generations of "revolutionary" changes mind you) and it fits fine.

You seem to have forgotten that the iPhone 7 is just half the story. The iPhone 7 Plus does not fit into my iPhone 6S Apple Leather Case. The camera component is partially obscured.

I'm really curious as to what you would label non-evolutionary?

• Reply 29 of 30
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    williamh said:
    netmage said:

You seem to have forgotten that the iPhone 7 is just half the story. The iPhone 7 Plus does not fit into my iPhone 6S Apple Leather Case. The camera component is partially obscured.

I'm really curious as to what you would label non-evolutionary?

The original iPhone was revolutionary.  The original mac was revolutionary.  The bolsheviks overthrowing the tsar was revolutionary. Doesn't happen that often. The leap is huge and not easily foreseen.