Official Apple images show new MacBook Pro with OLED 'Magic Toolbar,' Touch ID, new speaker design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jcdinkins said:
    What a useless tool, i think apple is forgetting too much the pro user and especially that the path is more clear with yoga or surface, and that they have to merge the two OS. i don't really get it, for the first time in years i am thinking to switch to window. Too useless innovations but more than that not a very good innovations on performance, and if they put the amd graphic card inside... i will really buy window as my next laptop Dell is doing so good now. Why they want to be only phone maker? I know for the revenues, but it's stupid what they are doing, all the professionals i speak too are changing their mind on apple.. also it's so easy for them to produce the best compuetrs.. come on apple stop this nonsense like the mac pro how can you think to not upgrade the processor as for 3 years now? that is really crazy. And the imac how long do we have to wait to see a graphic card in the model 21.5 4k. And also why don't you make iphone and ipad pro a real computer running a real operative system with a finder.. you always ask yourself why tablets are selling less and less.. it is really all up to you bosses at apple .. stop concentrating only on numbers... we are tired of your greediness!!!!
    Here.  Do this.  Save your money and take a combo English/Grammar class.
    That's a dick comment. The internet isn't just for native English speakers
    so we should grade his paper on a curve?
    doozydozenpscooter63stevehRayz2016dysamoria
  • Reply 42 of 104
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 191member
    Anybody knows where the images are supposed to be in macOS 10.12.1? Anybody wondered whether they are fake??
  • Reply 43 of 104
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    New speaker design? You mean old speaker design now used in the 13" MBP. I'm looking at my 2012 MBP 15" with the same speaker grilles right now.
    aylkdoozydozen
  • Reply 44 of 104
    First thought: what a beauty....
  • Reply 45 of 104
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    anome said:
    Looks good to me. And as usual, none of the renders we've seen recently quite got it right.
    I don't get the bezel hate, it looks smaller than it was (but I could be wrong) and it's going to have one. And I'm a leftie, too (not just in handedness either, but never mind) and Apple has historically had a bit of a dexter bias. The placement of the microphone on the iPhone assumes you're holding it to your right ear, the crown and button arrangement on the Apple Watch is clearly designed for wear on the left hand, and so on. Still, I'm willing to put up with as long as their products are worth it. And it's not like any of the other manufacturers have brought out left handed computers - those that have had fingerprint scanners in the past have tended to be on the right hand side of the keyboard.
    i dont think thats true at all. in fact, it's typical for a phone to be used in the left hand and left ear, leaving the dominant right-hand to use the old rotary dial.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 46 of 104
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "...where the escape key would be..."

I'll bet you the media will have a field day on this innocuous detail.

"APPLE REMOVES PHYSICAL ESCAPE KEY AND POSTS FIRST REVENUE DECLINE IN 15 YEARS. COINCIDENCE?!"
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 47 of 104
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    franklinjackcon said:
    The internet isn't just for native English speakers
    True, but if you come to an English language Apple forum just to trash talk Apple, your English better be impeccable. I think we would all be a lot more tolerant of imperfect English if the person wasn't so obnoxious.
    doozydozentmaypscooter63brometheuswatto_cobrachiaRayz2016dysamoria
  • Reply 48 of 104
    Clearly I'm missing something. I'm looking at my mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro right now at it has speaker grills to the left and right of my keyboard, facing up. Why is AppleInsider calling that a revised design?
    doozydozencogitodexter
  • Reply 49 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kbeat said:
    Clearly I'm missing something. I'm looking at my mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro right now at it has speaker grills to the left and right of my keyboard, facing up. Why is AppleInsider calling that a revised design?
    Because this is referring to a 13", and you have a 15" MBP.
    edited October 2016 muppetryfastasleep
  • Reply 50 of 104
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Soli said:
    shev said:
    There's nothing wrong with the bezel
    It's okay but it's hardly 4 years worth of development impressive is it
    What are you basing that on since you don't know anything about the display panel, the backlight, the thickness of the display, of the primary need to have the bottom case house all needed components and have a certain battery life. Could they have made it thinner? Absolutely, but not without affecting something else.

For example, did you notice the 13" now has speakers on the side. Could those still exist and be as good if they remove  the width to the point you wish them to narrow the width of the footprint? One way would be to scrunch the keyboard together and use smaller keys. Are any of those a good trade off for you?
    Of course you are only thinking of ways to make the bezel smaller by shrinking the external dimensions of the computer which then leads to all of the compromises you list. But did you think of the other way to make the bezel smaller? By making the screen a little bit bigger.  B)

I don't really care all that much, but just saying there is another way to make the bezel smaller without the compromises. Of course you still need a finite thickness in the lid to house the display, and if the edges are tapered that limits how close to the edge you can make the screen. And we all know how Apple likes to taper the edges of their computers to make them look thinner than they really are (although the new MacBook is a bit more boxy).
  • Reply 51 of 104
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Super happy to see this rumor confirmed. Apple is at its best when it pioneers new interface paradigms.

I spend my day in Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign. I can imagine this interface could be leveraged by Adobe to continuously control things like Opacity, Color, Smoothing, Hardness, etc of tools in these artistic applications. Lets get this tech built inn to the Bluetooth Keyboard. Maybe it will be driven by open APIs, allowing 3rd party touch screen controllers without having to roll their own engines (Like AirDisplay or AstroPad)
    tmayRayz2016fastasleep
  • Reply 52 of 104
    ChelliniChellini Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The hinge looks to be a great deal smaller as well.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 53 of 104
    wiggin said:
    I don't really care all that much, but just saying there is another way to make the bezel smaller without the compromises.
    There are always compromises. ALWAYS. Apple's success has a lot to do with balancing the compromises in a such a way that technology can push forward and the user expererience can grow. 

Of course you still need a finite thickness in the lid to house the display, and if the edges are tapered that limits how close to the edge you can make the screen. And we all know how Apple likes to taper the edges of their computers to make them look thinner than they really are (although the new MacBook is a bit more boxy).
    Tappering of the lid also serves to add riggidity without adding weigh. I think it was in 2012 that they moved to the thinnest top case they've ever used and I don't think it's been matched. It's also why some complain about the FaceTime camera having a lower resolution than many cheap notebooks.
    edited October 2016 pscooter63muppetry
  • Reply 54 of 104
    I can definitely see a LOT of cool functionality added to that bar. There's something to be said for certain physical controls, though, and I don't understand why we can't have it both ways. Lately, it's add something and take something away. How about add something and keep everything else for once?

I really miss the instant silence slider button on the iPad Pro, for example, and I'm sure I'll really miss the Esc, sound controls, and customizable function keys on the new MacBook Pro (though not as much as actual physical ports or MagSafe, to be sure). Some things are much slower in software, since that implies logging in and performing a number of steps for something that used to be a single button press.

Still, imagine the row of possibilities... I can't wait 'till Thursday. :)

Just pondering...
  • Reply 55 of 104
    I'm sure I'll really miss the […] customizable function keys on the new MacBook Pro.
    Are you saying they won't exist? I can't think of anything more customizable than a display.
    edited October 2016 pscooter63chiafastasleepnumenorean
  • Reply 56 of 104
    I can definitely see a LOT of cool functionality added to that bar. There's something to be said for certain physical controls, though, and I don't understand why we can't have it both ways.
    Who says there can't be more controls in that control bar than you would have in a conventional keyboard?  Or fewer, that are wider/more clearly denoted?

How about never having to deal with app-specific "helper" skins, or onscreen keyboard legends, ever again?

I, too, cannot wait!
    edited October 2016 fastasleepnumenorean
  • Reply 57 of 104
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    What a useless tool, i think apple is forgetting too much the pro user and especially that the path is more clear with yoga or surface, and that they have to merge the two OS. i don't really get it, for the first time in years i am thinking to switch to window. Too useless innovations but more than that not a very good innovations on performance, and if they put the amd graphic card inside... i will really buy window as my next laptop Dell is doing so good now. Why they want to be only phone maker? I know for the revenues, but it's stupid what they are doing, all the professionals i speak too are changing their mind on apple.. also it's so easy for them to produce the best compuetrs.. come on apple stop this nonsense like the mac pro how can you think to not upgrade the processor as for 3 years now? that is really crazy. And the imac how long do we have to wait to see a graphic card in the model 21.5 4k. And also why don't you make iphone and ipad pro a real computer running a real operative system with a finder.. you always ask yourself why tablets are selling less and less.. it is really all up to you bosses at apple .. stop concentrating only on numbers... we are tired of your greediness!!!!
    First, spell the fucking OS right: Windows, not window!
    then, I'll consider to read the rest of your pathetic comments.
    Solibrometheuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 104
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    fallenjt said:

First, spell the fucking OS right: Windows, not window!
    then, I'll consider to read the rest of your pathetic comments.
    Maybe he does want to buy actual window...?
  • Reply 59 of 104
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Soli said:
    I'm sure I'll really miss the […] customizable function keys on the new MacBook Pro.
    Are you saying they won't exist? I can't think of anything more customizable than a display.
    The keys certainly look like they won't exist.  Some people prefer keys.
    numenorean
  • Reply 60 of 104
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I hope they evolved the dreadful keyboard they are using for the MacBook. The keys don't travel. It's like your typing on a touchpad. In fact, it's worse than a touchpad because at least a touchpad doesn't imply any tactile feedback.