Samsung hopes to fend off interest in iPhone, overcome Note 7 disaster by pre-announcing 2017 Note

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
     Next phone rushed to market....
    watto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 22 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I heard the code name for the note 8 is C4. 
    ration alpscooter63watto_cobraglowearthlostkiwistarwars
  • Reply 23 of 45
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    shev said:
    maestro64 said:
    shev said:
    They've handled it well to be fair to them

You have not idea what you are talking about, as a person who had to deal with 3 product fires and doing a recall on one of them Samsung did so many things wrong here is not even funny. Now they are trying to bribe people to stay with them. This issue points to the fact they have no real quality control going on and you can expect more of the same in the future. This is major issue, they had issue with the phones not holding up to claims of being water resistance, people reported their phones failed after getting wet. This shows they are not testing their products under various conditions.
    Every single iPhone 4 couldn't even make calls if held like a phone and all Apple did was offer a free bumper so let's not act like they're the saviours of the free world here.
    I had an iPhone 4 for years and it worked great without a case. It wasn't even a fiasco unless you made it one. Oh, and it was never banned or recalled because it was more or a perceived problem in certain use cases than a real problem like this mess.
    ration alpscooter63watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    shev said:
    maestro64 said:
    shev said:

You have not idea what you are talking about, as a person who had to deal with 3 product fires and doing a recall on one of them Samsung did so many things wrong here is not even funny. Now they are trying to bribe people to stay with them. This issue points to the fact they have no real quality control going on and you can expect more of the same in the future. This is major issue, they had issue with the phones not holding up to claims of being water resistance, people reported their phones failed after getting wet. This shows they are not testing their products under various conditions.
    Every single iPhone 4 couldn't even make calls if held like a phone and all Apple did was offer a free bumper so let's not act like they're the saviours of the free world here.
    Feeling the burn, eh  :)

You have a point though. Instead of recalling every single phone, Samsung could have offered their customers a freebie to make their Note7s useable again. 

http://www.radshield.com/product/demron-class-2-full-body-suit/
    edited October 2016 pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Samsung initially blamed un-named battery suppliers for the initial round of conflagrations.

I read reports that Samsung identified their own battery division as the source of the faulty batteries, and that a third-party manufacturer supplying batteries to the Chinese market Note 7's were to be the replacement. This was based on the fact that these third-party batteries did not have the same design flaw. It remains a mystery why the replacement phones continued to have troubles, and one report that I read suggested it was another part of the phone at fault, not the battery directly.

• Reply 26 of 45
    Samsung have more to fear from other Android phones than they do from Apple with regards to the fallout from the N7 fiasco.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    When I read" un-named battery suppliers" I yelled liar! I then did a search on this site for the articles that named the supplier. There are two articles. To my surprise the second article was written by... Mike Wuerthele. 

So Mike, why did you choose to not write the TRUTH about Samsung naming its very own company, Samsung SDI, as the exploding battery culprit especially since YOU wrote the Wednesday, October 12, 2016 article that was published at 11:23 am PT (02:23 pm ET) article?

Here are the links...

Apple would NEVER receive this type of cover up coverage from you nor anybody else. 

• Reply 28 of 45
    shev said:
    You have a pretty ... uhhh ..... interesting definition of the word "fair"... as well as "handled".
    Calling THAT -- "well handled" is just like calling an airplane crash ( that resulted in a pile of charred metal + a lot of burnt human remains ) -- a pretty well handled landing!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    When I read" un-named battery suppliers" I yelled liar! I then did a search on this site for the articles that named the supplier. There are two articles. To my surprise the second article was written by... Mike Wuerthele. 

So Mike, why did you choose to not write the TRUTH about Samsung naming its very own company, Samsung SDI, as the exploding battery culprit especially since YOU wrote the Wednesday, October 12, 2016 article that was published at 11:23 am PT (02:23 pm ET) article?

Here are the links...

Apple would NEVER receive this type of cover up coverage from you nor anybody else. 

Well, considering I wrote one of the articles naming the supplier, its not cover-up coverage, now is it?

And, they didn't initially name the supplier. It took almost a week for them to do so after the initial discovery of problems, so take it easy there.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Apple fends off interest in 2017 Note 8 by pre-announcing 2018 iPhone 9.   ;)
  • Reply 31 of 45
    shev said:
    To be fair to them, they've f***** it up nearly every step of the way.

TFIFY
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    shev said:
    maestro64 said:
    shev said:

Are you really going to try and compare a signal issue with an issue that puts lives and property at risk?  Such nearly invalidates the legitimacy your comment. 

Then you you bring up a non-critical (but bad experience) issue from 6 years completed the invalidation process. 
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 45
    After the Note 7 fiasco, I sure hope Samsung doesn't use those "next best thing" commercials to advertise the Note 8. 
    Suggest:  "Hottest device on market today!" As new tag line. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    I have always been an Android fan even though I had a MacBook Pro and am now using the 12-inch 2016 MacBook. I bought the Note 7 and lost a lot of money and then bought the S7 which had overheating issues so I returned it. On a whim I bought a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus. I was completely blown away! This phone cannot even be compared to an Android one. I have had it for 20 days now and am as excited as a little child. I love the way iCloud integrates with my MacBook and phone; I love the seamless, polished and refined experience you get using this wonderful device. I love Apple Music and the stereo speakers. I love force touch. I love the camera and the blurred effect. Looking, loving and treasuring this device helps me to concentrate (as I have to be so careful with it) and somehow feel more alive and in the flow. In a sense, it is like a religious icon. When I hold it in my hands I experience a 'continuous trickle of delight'.  I love  I love, I love, I love ... and I will NEVER go back to Android no matter what anyone says. My only regret is that I did not make the switch sooner. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Class D fire extinguishers for lithium ion fires?

Asking for a friend...
    Kayuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    tmay said:
    shev said:
    Imagine that you are an airline passenger, and you are boarding a new aircraft, of which a number of examples have recently crashed, and neither the airline nor the manufacturer has a fucking clue why. Yet, there you are. What's wrong with that picture?

No, as a matter of fact, Samsung hasn't handled this well, but hey, they know their buyers better than I do. 
    You do realize that phones do explode on a fairly regular basis... http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-6-bursts-into-flames-during-flight-from-Washington-to-Hawaii-plane-lands-safely_id79448 Let's hope Samsung figures out exactly why so we can all benefit from the knowledge and resulting safer products.
  • Reply 37 of 45

Here are the links...

Well, considering I wrote one of the articles naming the supplier, its not cover-up coverage, now is it?

And, they didn't initially name the supplier. It took almost a week for them to do so after the initial discovery of problems, so take it easy there.
    Your response proves you knew the truth and you chose to not publish it. Further diversionary responses about the truth are not required. 
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Here are the links...

Your response proves you knew the truth and you chose to not publish it. Further diversionary responses about the truth are not required. 
    I'll go get a tin-foil hat fitted for you.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 39 of 45
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    tmay said:
    shev said:
    Imagine that you are an airline passenger, and you are boarding a new aircraft, of which a number of examples have recently crashed, and neither the airline nor the manufacturer has a fucking clue why. Yet, there you are. What's wrong with that picture?

No, as a matter of fact, Samsung hasn't handled this well, but hey, they know their buyers better than I do. 
    You do realize that phones do explode on a fairly regular basis... http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-6-bursts-into-flames-during-flight-from-Washington-to-Hawaii-plane-lands-safely_id79448 Let's hope Samsung figures out exactly why so we can all benefit from the knowledge and resulting safer products.
    Sure, but your example, an iPhone 6, has over a two year history with some 150 million shipped, with few "explosions". That's the big difference between Apple's iPhones and the Samsung Note 7.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    shev said:
    maestro64 said:
    shev said:

At the risk of infuriating the faithful…

Most iPhones i've owned can't make calls when held like a phone