Microsoft reveals VR & AR-focused Windows 10 'Creator's Update,' expected in early 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
Microsoft is making a big push into augmented reality and virtual reality with its newly announced Windows 10 Creator's Update, and bringing tools for creation of the new media natively to Windows 10.

At a Wednesday press event, the company promised to "unlock a new era of creativity" with the additions to Windows 10, which it claimed will make "3D for everyone" possible. A series of promotional videos demonstrated the potential behind a new Paint 3D application from Microsoft, with features like 3D-scanning, and import of the scanned items into other apps.

A Windows 10 HP X3 phone was used in conjunction with the 3D Capture application to scan an object, with only a brief period of post-scan processing required for the object to create a mesh, complete with textures. Microsoft claims that the process is envisioned on "any device" in the future, but what specifically that means is not clear.

Microsoft Paint 3D now has some photo manipulation tools, such as a magic selector to extract a 2D object from the background. Additionally, the meshes drawn from the 3D Capture application, as well as Minecraft objects, will be importable, and printable to compatible 3D printers.

SketchUp has been enlisted by Microsoft to assist with the rollout, allowing users to import objects from the model hosting community into Paint 3D as well. In conjunction with SketchUp integration, the Paint 3D app has a wide array of sharing tools for social media as well.

Microsoft promised to integrate 3D across its "most popular" applications, demonstrating use of the technology in PowerPoint, including graphical transitions, and animations embedded into presentations.

The effort will ultimately facilitate content creation for Microsoft's HoloLens "mixed-reality" project. A proof-of-concept demonstration at the event showed the Edge browser extracting compatible graphics from a home design website, and displayed on the HoloLens in conjunction and in scale with the surrounding environment.

Launch partners for 3D accessories and VR headsets are HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer. Creators Update accessories for display, creation, and interaction will start at $300.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Yeah. We'll see.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    its crazy that Microsoft seems more innovative than Apple right now.

They are willing to take more risks, be less cautious.

We all mock the Surface. But lets admit that Microsoft did have the right idea, even though the execution sucks.
    Go sit in the corner. So you want Apple to be just like Samsung and Microsoft, throwing shit at the wall and waiting to see what sticks? Yeah, that always works doesn’t it.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichtmaydoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 3 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:

We all mock the Surface. But lets admit that Microsoft did have the right idea, even though the execution sucks.
    Go sit in the corner. So you want Apple to be just like Samsung and Microsoft, throwing shit at the wall and waiting to see what sticks? Yeah, that always works doesn’t it.
    Aren't Microsoft and Google stocks near or at all time highs? You know we'd all be crowing about it if Apple was. I have a tech twitter feed and several tech analysts who are typically Pro-Apple are really talking up Microsoft and the stuff they're announcing. I don't think anyone should write Microsoft off. It's quite obvious Microsoft is going after the creative market hard. They're thinking Apple has been neglecting them so let's try and take share. Smart.
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 39
    For all my times using PC I had never used Microsoft Paint for my workflow while I'm now using Preview every day. 

Ah... the (not so) good old days...
  • Reply 5 of 39
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:

There can be a middle ground

Apple is TOO RISK ADVERSE
    Samsung may be TOO RISKY

Shipping a phone with the same basic frame (iPhone7) while cheap POS companies like Xiaomi ships a near bezeless phone is unacceptable.
    Xiaomi isn't shipping 70M of them in a holiday quarter. I'm sure if Apple could ship a bezel-free iPhone in mass quantity we'd have it by now.
    tmaydoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 39

New Surface Book Laptop!

New Surface Studio!

• Reply 7 of 39
    Shipping a phone with the same basic frame (iPhone7) while cheap POS companies like Xiaomi ships a near bezeless phone is unacceptable.
    Xiaomi isn't "shipping" their ceramic anti-bezel phone anywhere other than China. And only in extremely limited quantities. Because it's not feasible to manufacture in volume. How is that "unacceptable"?
    SpamSandwichdoozydozenbadmonk
  • Reply 8 of 39
    So, you'll be able to draw a 3D dino and show it to the kids in the middle of the living room thru their holo-thing. Great innovation indeed.
    SpamSandwichfotoformatbadmonk
  • Reply 9 of 39
    It's quite obvious Microsoft is going after the creative market hard. They're thinking Apple has been neglecting them so let's try and take share. Smart.
    The 1.0 version of Apple Pencil combined with the Pro versions of iPad absolutely crushed all previous attempts at stylus/display drawing functionality in the market. It works better than Wacom Cintiq products and completely erases the boundary between digital input and drawing with a pencil/paper. I don't think I'd be feeling all that confident about it if I were Microsoft.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 39
    macplusplus said: So, you'll be able to draw a 3D dino and show it to the kids in the middle of the living room thru their holo-thing. Great innovation indeed.
    Make no mistake, Microsoft is going after the creative community hard. They think they can steal share from Apple here by getting creative pros frustrated by the slow pace of Mac hardware updates. 
  • Reply 11 of 39
    foregoneconclusion said:
    The 1.0 version of Apple Pencil combined with the Pro versions of iPad absolutely crushed all previous attempts at stylus/display drawing functionality in the market. It works better than Wacom Cintiq products and completely erases the boundary between digital input and drawing with a pencil/paper. I don't think I'd be feeling all that confident about it if I were Microsoft.   
    It's quite obvious Microsoft is going after the creative market hard. They're thinking Apple has been neglecting them so let's try and take share. Smart.
    Wish I could agree with you about the Pencil, but the palm rejection is still inadequate, especially in the better iPad illustration and paint apps.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 12 of 39

Pretty damn impressive!

doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 39
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:

Samsung may be TOO RISKY

Xiaomi isn't shipping 70M of them in a holiday quarter. I'm sure if Apple could ship a bezel-free iPhone in mass quantity we'd have it by now.
    Xiaomi doesn't have even close to the resources that Apple has.

Really no excuse for Apple not to have a brand new design for iPhone7

I'm not mad though. Just another buying opportunity before the mega hit iPhone8 comes out next year.

Waiting for the stock to drop to $105 level to load up on more shares.
    Then sell them for $150 next year
    I'm sorry this is nonsense. Do you not think if Jony Ive could make an all glass phone in volumes Apple requires Apple wouldn't be doing so right now? 
  • Reply 14 of 39
    macplusplus said: So, you'll be able to draw a 3D dino and show it to the kids in the middle of the living room thru their holo-thing. Great innovation indeed.
    Make no mistake, Microsoft is going after the creative community hard. They think they can steal share from Apple here by getting creative pros frustrated by the slow pace of Mac hardware updates. 
    Name some creative pro software that wouldn't run well on last year's MBPs and iMacs, much less anything new they're going to announce. Heck, Affinity is going to release the FULL version of their desktop image editing software for iOS. I don't think many people realize just how well the iPad Pro line runs high-end image editing and drawing software. 
    tmaydoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 39
    sog35 said:

It might be "unacceptable" for some people but for the majority, it will more than likely be a 'Meh' moment.
    I tried a bezelless phone in China a few months ago. For my way of using the device and for the size of my hands (huge) it would take a lot of getting used too.
    If you have tried one and found it the 'bees knees' then your comment might be valid otherwise, it might be wiser to hold ones tongue until you can make an informed decision.
    IMHO, it might work for some people but for others a bezel is the better bet.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    They'll try anything to be relevant. 

"Seems" innovative does not = shipping actual products. 

Nice show (MS always puts on a nice SHOW, lots of promises, lots of concepts, lots of ideas), but SHIP IT, MS. I DARE you to ship game-changers. Because ever since Apple changed the tech world in June 2007, you haven't shipped anything that redefined the market and how we think about and use tech. Unless they don't intend to do so for the consumer market. 

The really big thing as of late is the Hol(low)lens. 

Still waiting for MY Hololens that *works right and as it should*, which I can pick up at an MS Store or Best Buy for a few hundred bucks or so, and which will look natural, attractive, and even cool on my head. 

WHERE IS IT?

Oh. Right. It's yet another thing left for Apple to get right, make it actually usable and good-looking, and take it mainstream thus making it iconic. 
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Wish I could agree with you about the Pencil, but the palm rejection is still inadequate, especially in the better iPad illustration and paint apps.

Name them. Pixelmator and Procreate are right at the top and the palm rejection is perfect.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    sog35 said:

Samsung may be TOO RISKY

Know what's "unacceptable"? The compromises Xiaomi had to make in order to get it bezel-less.
    foregoneconclusionSpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 39

Name them. Pixelmator and Procreate are right at the top and the palm rejection is perfect.
    Procreate and Sketch Club, both terrific apps. I've drawn ever since I was a child, have illustrated professionally and there is no way for me to use either app using the Pencil in a natural way (resting one hand holding the Pencil on the drawing surface) without making stray marks or causing the canvas to skip or move while sketching or rendering. I don't use Pixelmator because I find it a completely half-assed version of Photoshop and when I need Photoshop functionality, I use a Mac.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 20 of 39
    They'll try anything to be relevant. 

"Seems" innovative does not = shipping actual products. 

Nice show (MS always puts on a nice SHOW, lots of promises, lots of concepts, lots of ideas), but SHIP IT, MS. I DARE you to ship game-changers. Because ever since Apple changed the tech world in June 2007, you haven't shipped anything that redefined the market and how we think about and use tech. Unless they don't intend to do so for the consumer market. 

The really big thing as of late is the Hol(low)lens. 

Still waiting for MY Hololens that *works right and as it should*, which I can pick up at an MS Store or Best Buy for a few hundred bucks or so, and which will look natural, attractive, and even cool on my head. 

WHERE IS IT?

Oh. Right. It's yet another thing left for Apple to get right, make it actually usable and good-looking, and take it mainstream thus making it iconic. 
    This Surface Studio looks pretty awesome. And it's not vaporware like the Courior was. Like I said, Microsoft is going after creative pros HARD. Surface studio folds down to become an angled work surface and has a dial that attaches and becomes an interactive tool.  Ben Bajarin (not exactly an Apple hater) says Microsoft is making better trucks than Apple right now.  Price starts at $2999 and ships this holiday season. That's another way Microsoft is going after Apple. They want to create the perception they're competing with Apple not cheap Windows OEMs.