Elgato debuts standalone Eve Light Switch for Apple's HomeKit

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2016
Accessory maker Elgato on Wednesday launched the Eve Light Switch, which it claimed is the world's first standalone switch with support for Apple's HomeKit.

The Bluetooth-based Light Switch replaces a standard pole switch, and controls lights that way instead of through a more expensive smartbulb setup. People with Philips Hue bulbs, though, have access to additional color and brightness settings.

To manage lights, people can use Siri, iOS 10's native Home app, Elgato's Eve software, or the switch itself. Because the device uses Bluetooth rather than Wi-Fi, control away from home requires an Apple TV to serve as a HomeKit hub.

The Eve Light Switch is selling for $49.95 from Elgato's website and Amazon.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    First question: does it support three way switching?   I was 24 hours from pulling the trigger on the Lutron platform.  This gives me some pause....
  • Reply 2 of 16
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    OMG. FINALLY!

My houseful of Lutron & Hue lighting is SOOOO ready for these.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Jerry HsuJerry Hsu Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    @ttollerton Didn't like the idea of mounting a remote at the 2nd wall location for 3 way lutron caseta? I haven't replaced my hall lights with caseta switches (just bedrooms and porch) but I've been very pleased with the system.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    First question: does it support three way switching?   I was 24 hours from pulling the trigger on the Lutron platform.  This gives me some pause....
    I would say NO. 3-way switching is a damn good feature for marketing and they would advertise it if it does have it. Stick with Lutron, a well known brand for future expansion and compatibility.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    polymnia said:
    OMG. FINALLY!

Lutron has its own, better Homekit compatible switches...Hello!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Bluetooth? Hmmm... I dunno..  I guess cost effectiveness, but you need an AppleTV as a hub.

Currently using Lutron Caseta with its tiny hub and it totally rocks!  Switches, Dimmers, Pico remote controls, lamp adapters etc...  Fully HomeKit compliant.

Lutron PD-6ANS-WH Caseta Wireless Multi-Location In-Wall Neutral Switch, 6 Amp
    Lutron PD-6WCL-WH Caseta Wireless 600/150-Watt Single Pole In-Wall Dimmer
    Lutron PICO-WBX-ADAPT Pico Wallplate Bracket
    Lutron PJ2-3BRL-WH-L01R Pico Remote Control with Favorite Setting
    Lutron PJ2-2B-GWH-L01 Pico On/Off Remote Control
    Lutron PD-3PCL-WH Caseta Wireless 300-watt Plug-In Lamp Dimmer
    Lutron PD-10NXD-WH Caseta Pro In Wall Dimmer 250W LED / 1000W Incandescent/Halogen/Magnetic Low Voltage

• Reply 7 of 16
    Bluetooth? Hmmm... I dunno..  I guess cost effectiveness, but you need an AppleTV as a hub.

Currently using Lutron Caseta with its tiny hub and it totally rocks!  Switches, Dimmers, Pico remote controls, lamp adapters etc...  Fully HomeKit compliant.

Lutron PD-10NXD-WH Caseta Pro In Wall Dimmer 250W LED / 1000W Incandescent/Halogen/Magnetic Low Voltage

Not all fully HomeKit compliant. Only the Caseta Hub speaks HomeKit. 

I have all the devices devices on your list. And Hue bulbs.

The Pico remotes cannot control anything that isn't Lutron Caseta. I cannot make my Picos control my Hues. The Picos are Caseta devices that only have as much capability as the Caseta Hub allows them.

I agree that Caseta rocks, but it is limited. A home full of mixed-brand devices needs something like this Eve switch that can bridge across brands & hubs.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 8 of 16
    fallenjt said:
    polymnia said:
    OMG. FINALLY!

Lutron has its own, better Homekit compatible switches...Hello!
    Incorrect. I have a house full of Pico switches. They ONLY control Lutron Caseta devices. EACH Pico switch occupies one of the 50 devices that is the device limit of the Ceseta Hub. The switches are not HomeKit compatible. They aren't better if HomeKit is your measure of 'betterness'. 

Look at these pictures of packaging:

Notice the Dimmer & Pico bundle has no HomeKit branding.

Here is the Hub:

Notice the HomeKit branding?

I'm not talking shit about Lutron. I like my Caseta setup. I'm looking for a true HomeKit switch with which I can control Hue bulbs, Caseta and whatever other HomeKit devices.

The Hue bulbs are superior for floor lamps and desk lamps. The Lutron in-wall switches are super for overhead and other built-in fixture lighting. There will probably be other brands that offer superior products for other uses. I'd like a switch that can control them all, or trigger scenes that cross brands.

To do that, we need HomeKit compliant switches, built from the beginning to be brand agnostic.

The Caseta Pico remotes and Philips Hue Dimmers have been grandfathered into the system by way of their Hubs, but the switches aren't true HomeKit devices.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I've had so many problems with their EyeTV software over the years (before they sold it to another company this year), that I really wouldn't trust Elgato for home automation.
    sandor
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Jerry Hsu said:
    @ttollerton Didn't like the idea of mounting a remote at the 2nd wall location for 3 way lutron caseta? I haven't replaced my hall lights with caseta switches (just bedrooms and porch) but I've been very pleased with the system.
    Well, have I got news for you!  I've been doing some research, and the Lutron Pro switches support three way switching.  You can keep on standard three way switch installed and just install the Lutron Pro switch in one spot.  No need to install the Pico remote.  The Pro switches are a bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.  
    Jerry Hsu
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Also, this Eve solution is based only on Bluetooth?   That sounds like a problem.  What if you get out of range to the switch?  
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Competition is good. If/when prices drop, 3way switches supported, and they make one that will fit in a "cluster" of switches, I might buy. Until then...meh.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    iDevices also provide a nice options for HomeKit. Personally have the outdoor switch and a couple on indoor switch and works great
  • Reply 14 of 16

I'm a total newbie at this, so please bear with me:

I'm trying to replace just one light switch in a bedroom. What I want is something that can be turned on and off by:

1. the switch itself
    2. an iDevice
    3. a Logitech Harmony Smart Home remote (which is NOT HomeKit compatible)

Does any such thing exist?
  • Reply 15 of 16

I'm trying to replace just one light switch in a bedroom. What I want is something that can be turned on and off by:

1. the switch itself
    2. an iDevice

Doubtful, unless you add more hardware.

Most Smart Switch systems require some type of Hub that is wired into your network via ethernet.

But if you are willing to add a Hub to your bill of materials, look for a Hub that has an iOS App and integrates with Logitech. I'm pretty sure several systems do. Note that you will not be HomeKit-compatible unless your Hub is also HomeKit certified. Though it sounds like that isn't important to you.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 16 of 16
    polymnia said:

1. the switch itself
    2. an iDevice

Doubtful, unless you add more hardware.

Most Smart Switch systems require some type of Hub that is wired into your network via ethernet.

But if you are willing to add a Hub to your bill of materials, look for a Hub that has an iOS App and integrates with Logitech. I'm pretty sure several systems do. Note that you will not be HomeKit-compatible unless your Hub is also HomeKit certified. Though it sounds like that isn't important to you.
    Thanks for your help! :)