Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 121 of 198
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Seriously, wtf? I noticed the same thing.  I wonder if the earnings/event date switch had more to do with sucking the air out of the room after the MS event than anything.  
  • Reply 122 of 198
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Then when they want to copy Apple with a techno-erotic video, they blow it by getting all dreamy and saccharine, with an overdone sound track, senseless nuts and bolts closeups, and smarmy layers of artsy lifestyle cues. (Yuck, why is my stomach turning?)

Why can't they just let the product and its designers and engineers speak for themselves? Instead they're trying to sell "creative professional" lifestyle. Always a wretched approach.
    In my world, Surface has solid appeal. These days we are selling more Surface Pro 4 to our customers, than traditional laptops in general.

Was the "Surface" right name to choose for their touch-screen computers, I don't know. For me it symbolizes interactivity with the screen, so it definitely is not worst they could have came up with. But then, I think it is irrelevant. It is not the name you choose, it is what you make out of it. Otherwise, using everyday, most ordinary fruit, related with many things non-IT - including famous american pie scene from the flick bearing the same name - for a tech company name, wouldn't that be even more "left-brained"? But not many do, because Apple has built image that transfers to their name, not the other way around. While it may sound silly on a short notice, has Jobs decided to call his company Kiwi, Orange, Apricot... 40 years ago, today it would feel as natural and reasonable as Apple does. And so will Surface, or so does Surface, IMHO.
  • Reply 123 of 198
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    bill42 said:

Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    As a photo retoucher of 27 years, if someone touches my screen I scream at them and then stop and take out my windex.

That being said, this is a nice looking machine. No way would it ever get me to use windows for the first time in my life though.
    27 years and you use ammonia based cleaners on your screeens? :(
    palomine
  • Reply 124 of 198
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Wow. $3 K starting price !
    ireland
  • Reply 125 of 198
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    I need to agree.

iPhone6, iPhone6s, iPhone7 - not innovative at all. Just bigger screens.

Apple Watch - simply an iPhone accessory at this point

iPad - been stagnant. Dropping sales proves the point

Mac - nothing special

Lets face it. Tim Cook and the current leadership is more concerned about keeping Apple profits up than innovation.

Cook needs to be fired.
    Ive needs to be reassigned.
    Apple needs a new CEO with Vision and Passion. Two things Cook lacks. Guy is so friken boring every single event.
    Ive has just lost it in his unending desire to make things thinner. WE need new design blood.
    You forgot the joke called Siri.
  • Reply 126 of 198
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    No. They set the date just after Apple set the earnings release, I think. Apple had to move that date (back to yesterday).
  • Reply 127 of 198
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
    Maybe but you can all but guarantee the Apple event will be just as boring as the last few... look at what Apple has released (to date) this year that is truly innovative... or last year for that matter??? I love Apple but last few years for me, they just aren't the creative/exciting company they used to be...
    I need to agree.

Mac - nothing special

Lets face it. Tim Cook and the current leadership is more concerned about keeping Apple profits up than innovation.

Cook needs to be fired.
    Apple needs a new CEO with Vision and Passion. Two things Cook lacks. Guy is so friken boring every single event.
    Ive has just lost it in his unending desire to make things thinner. WE need new design blood.

What the fuck? I swear to God you're some kind of schizophrenic, your account seems to be controlled by 10 different posters, all of who are unstable and make random bouts of sensationalism, either by defending Apple or shitting on them in the most extreme way like you did now, with no basis in facts. The last 3 generation of iPhones introduced just "bigger screens"?  What a terrible, intellectually dishonest troll you are. You get these panic and manic attacks every time any other company introduces a new product, it's ridiculously sad. I've asked you to seek help dozens of times, as have others on this board, and I still stick by that. Get some help for your own mental health. 
    I think you are the one who needs professional help.

cursing like a drunk sailor to a total stranger on the internet. go get help. soon.
    Cursing on the internet, compared to 11,000+ of troll posts? Yeah, I think I'm ok. I love how people like you pretend to be offended by cursing, when all your posts contain melting down, and shitting on Apple's employees and executives, alleging that they're horrible, useless people like you've done time and time again. You're a stranger, yes, but 11,000+ posts is enough for me to conclude that you're a complete sociopath that needs to be on some kind of meds. It's out of goodwill that I advise you to find a hobby besides ripping your hair out at Apple in outrage with ranting posts every 5 seconds, not for my own benefit. You've been doing it for years. Imagine what you could have accomplished in that time had you invested that energy in something more productive? Maybe, just maybe you could have attained 1% of the accomplishments that Cook has, instead of demanding his head all the time. 
    Its out of your goodwill that you curse me? do you even hear the non sense you are speaking?

dude, you need help. You have obvious anger issues. Any time I make any slight negative about Apple you come out ripping me. Stop being such a fanboy and open your eyes to reality.

Reality is Tim Cook has done a horrible job of pushing innovation the 5 years at the helm. His biggest accomplishment was releasing a big iPhone. Thats it. Mac sales are tanking, iPad sales are tanking, China sales are tanking. The Watch in its 2nd year is not the big innovative product Cook said it would be. AppleTV has been a bust. Even with Apple's vast resources AppleTV can't even surpass Roku. Its pathetic.

Tim Cook is a supply chain guy.
    Not a visionary. 
    Guy needs to know his role and step down ASAP.
    You think he has issues? 

Seriously?

I'm sorry; you spend so much time here whining on about things that are essentially your own fault. You don't like the way he runs the company, then why don't you show a fraction of the courage he has and flog your shares? No? Why? Because you're too frightened to make the hard choice; you're scared that you as soon as you sell them, the price will shoot up. You lack the courage of Cook's convictions. So, paralysed because you're in over your head, you come here and whinge like a five year old while offering some of the most asinine ideas for things that Apple should do to raise the share price to make you happy. Your sense of entitlement is quite nauseating, frankly.

No matter how much you wish the Board will fire Tim Cook as an excuse for your own inadequacies, I'm afraid that won't happen because, unlike you, they see Apple as a long term prospect, and not a clueless amateur's day trade.

The fastest mobile processor on the market
    A world leader in manufacturing processes
    Taking over the whole device one chip at a time.
    Standing up to the FBI's attack on personal privacy
    Second most popular luxury watch brand. (clearly the man doesn't take risks!)
    Expansion into China and India
    Expansion into an energy supplier.
    Expansion into Automotive technology (clearly the man's a coward!)
    Music streaming
    The most profitable retail chain per square foot.
    Supporting the rights of workers up and down the supply chain

What the hell have you done that gives you the nuts to say he's not a visionary? Bleating about your portfolio doesn't qualify.

You like giving advice to Cook. Here's some for you. 

Man the fuck up and sell your shares. Since you can't manage that then stop gobbing off about your shares. No one here is impressed.

edited October 2016 irelandeightzerotmaypalominenolamacguyfastasleepwatto_cobrawonkothesane
  • Reply 128 of 198
    ireland said:

It's worth watching the MS Video...  Long, but very well done -- and passionate!

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/microsoft-livestream/

Surface Studio starts @1:15:20

The black haired guy with the goatie is a terrible presenter. He's patronising and you can tell he thinks he's better than he is. He reminds me of a sleazy car salesman. His forced hand gestures and script doesn't gel.
    Yeah... I'll grant you a little patronizing and elitist -- what got and held my attention was his confidence and his passion!  I didn't get the impression that he was reading from a script or teleprompter.

I haven't seen presentation yet, but I'm presuming this is about Panos.

I remember last year Surface event. Yep, he is not necessarily likable, but oddly enough, his presentations were. There definitely is passion, confidence in their vision. I'd say he is channeling Jobs, but he is also owning it. Like when really talented young singer takes someone else's famous song, and yet manages to make it his/her own.
  • Reply 129 of 198
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    AppleDuff said:
    hahahaha....I have been an Apple enthusiast for a decade....but cmon....stop being fanboys...This looks like a great product. MS taking a bite out of Apple's share of the designers......This is good for the industry.....
    Apple enthusiast for a decade yet this is your first post? Maybe for a PR firm?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 130 of 198
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    nikon133 said:
    ireland said:

It's worth watching the MS Video...  Long, but very well done -- and passionate!

The black haired guy with the goatie is a terrible presenter. He's patronising and you can tell he thinks he's better than he is. He reminds me of a sleazy car salesman. His forced hand gestures and script doesn't gel.
    Yeah... I'll grant you a little patronizing and elitist -- what got and held my attention was his confidence and his passion!  I didn't get the impression that he was reading from a script or teleprompter.

I remember last year Surface event. Yep, he is not necessarily likable, but oddly enough, his presentations were. There definitely is passion, confidence in their vision. I'd say he is channeling Jobs, but he is also owning it. Like when really talented young singer takes someone else's famous song, and yet manages to make it his/her own.
    No way. He seems fake to me. I'm completely unconvinced by him.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 131 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    It might be a good product, but Microsoft's tin ear subverts the presentation as usual, starting with the name "Surface," which has zero appeal. I mean, how two-dimensional and anti-tactile can you get, calling a touch-screen device by a generic topological term? So left-brained.

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

Yes!  "Surface" describes a 2D space.  It's ironic that the 1st half of the preso was pushing 3D Creaters update to Windows 10.

Exactly, thanks. But now you've got me having to watch the event, since I'm all for 3D. We'll see if they mean stereo 3D video, i.e., left and right video channels. I couldn't tell from the AI story here earlier.
    Well, there was some time spent showing how they capture 3D by moving a camera around real digital 3D object -- like a sand castle built at the beach.  They add other digital 3D objects to create a scene. Then they spoil the scene by adding a 2D digital picture an 2D background image.  They manipulate the objects so they are aligned correctly on the z axis.  

But when they rotate the scene you can see that it's a combination of 2D and 3D objects.  

Kinda' like creating a pseudo-3D effect [with a 2D camera] in Apple Motion. 

Aha. No bueno. Cardboard cutout effect kills (in the old sense) real 3D. And it turns off people who don't know the difference. 
  • Reply 132 of 198
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
    I need to agree.

Mac - nothing special

Cook needs to be fired.

What the fuck? I swear to God you're some kind of schizophrenic, your account seems to be controlled by 10 different posters, all of who are unstable and make random bouts of sensationalism, either by defending Apple or shitting on them in the most extreme way like you did now, with no basis in facts. The last 3 generation of iPhones introduced just "bigger screens"?  What a terrible, intellectually dishonest troll you are. You get these panic and manic attacks every time any other company introduces a new product, it's ridiculously sad. I've asked you to seek help dozens of times, as have others on this board, and I still stick by that. Get some help for your own mental health. 

cursing like a drunk sailor to a total stranger on the internet. go get help. soon.
    Cursing on the internet, compared to 11,000+ of troll posts? Yeah, I think I'm ok. I love how people like you pretend to be offended by cursing, when all your posts contain melting down, and shitting on Apple's employees and executives, alleging that they're horrible, useless people like you've done time and time again. You're a stranger, yes, but 11,000+ posts is enough for me to conclude that you're a complete sociopath that needs to be on some kind of meds. It's out of goodwill that I advise you to find a hobby besides ripping your hair out at Apple in outrage with ranting posts every 5 seconds, not for my own benefit. You've been doing it for years. Imagine what you could have accomplished in that time had you invested that energy in something more productive? Maybe, just maybe you could have attained 1% of the accomplishments that Cook has, instead of demanding his head all the time. 
    Its out of your goodwill that you curse me? do you even hear the non sense you are speaking?

dude, you need help. You have obvious anger issues. Any time I make any slight negative about Apple you come out ripping me. Stop being such a fanboy and open your eyes to reality.

Reality is Tim Cook has done a horrible job of pushing innovation the 5 years at the helm. His biggest accomplishment was releasing a big iPhone. Thats it. Mac sales are tanking, iPad sales are tanking, China sales are tanking. The Watch in its 2nd year is not the big innovative product Cook said it would be. AppleTV has been a bust. Even with Apple's vast resources AppleTV can't even surpass Roku. Its pathetic.

Not a visionary. 
    You think he has issues? 

Seriously?

I'm sorry; you spend so much time here whining on about things that are essentially your own fault. You don't like the way he runs the company, then why don't you show a fraction of the courage he has and flog your shares? No? Why? Because you're too frightened to make the hard choice; you're scared that you as soon as you sell them, the price will shoot up. You lack the courage of Cook's convictions. So, paralysed because you're in over your head, you come here and whinge like a five year old while offering some of the most asinine ideas for things that Apple should do to raise the share price to make you happy. Your sense of entitlement is quite nauseating, frankly.

No matter how much you wish the Board will fire Tim Cook as an excuse for your own inadequacies, I'm afraid that won't happen because, unlike you, they see Apple as a long term prospect, and not a clueless amateur's day trade.

Music streaming

What the hell have you done that gives you the nuts to say he's not a visionary? Bleating about your portfolio doesn't qualify.

Man the fuck up and sell your shares.

I'm holding my shares because once Cook is removed this stock will go up 30-50% in a matter of months.
    You're out of your mind. Sell now and give the world a break.
  • Reply 133 of 198
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First, does anyone believe anything in the video, It appear to be all rendered not an actual application doing the work. It looks like the modern day of typical MS slideware in this care videoware which you will never see as a real product. It MS marketing wet dream of what they hope to do verse what it can actually do.

Okay copying is the thing today, but can't anyone come up and even an original making idea, they even copied Apple on the exploding pieces coming together to make the product.

baconstang
  • Reply 134 of 198
    ireland said:
    nikon133 said:
    ireland said:

No way. He seems fake to me. I'm completely unconvinced by him.
    One shoe never fits all.
  • Reply 135 of 198
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

wiggin said:
    flaneur said:
    wiggin said:
    flaneur said:

Yeah, that would be about as silly as if Apple came up with a box that connected to your television and called it something mundane like "Apple TV".  B
    Not the same. You missed the point. "Surface" is a repellant  name for a touchscreen device. It's deep, psychological. Microsoft people are not expected to understand.

edit — Here's a way to maybe understand. When the iPad came out, some people observed that the touch interface gave you the impression of reaching in to the screen and directly manipulating the software as tactile objects under the screen. "Touch" conveys this depth. "Surface" is about a barrier to that depth. It all happens at a deeper level than the typical left-brained Microsoftian recognizes.
    I get what you are saying, but disagree that the word "surface" has such strong, negative connotations to it. You are over-thinking it and/or assuming a surface is only associated with a liquid that you can reach into (ie, depth). The typical consumer simply doesn't think that deeply (no pun intended). It's a work surface, just like my work bench, my desk, and my kitchen counter top. None of those things are barriers, quite the opposite. They are supportive of getting my work done.
    No overthinking. I never have believed in that cliché. I'm just thinking like an advertising or branding wonk.

You're right, people aren't hindered on a conscious level by this name. My point is that on the level of desire, which works like music, poetry or eroticism, the unconscious is involved. The name Surface is so flat-footed that it's a turn-off to the lust centers. Just imagine that you're telling your artist nontech-y girlfriend that you are getting her a Surface for her birthday. WTF...? There's just no romance in that company. It's all left-brain geekery.

Then when they feel they have to be creative, they way overshoot the mark, like they did in the first ten minutes of the event. A real cringefest.
  • Reply 136 of 198
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
    I need to agree.

Mac - nothing special

Cook needs to be fired.

Not a visionary. 
    You think he has issues? 

Seriously?

Music streaming

Why the hell should I sell my Apple shares?

I own Apple.

Cook works for ME, not the other way around.

I'm holding my shares because once Cook is removed this stock will go up 30-50% in a matter of months. That's how much Cook is dragging this stock down.

Now might be a good time for you to let go of one or two misconceptions:

No, you don't own a piece of Apple.
    No, Cook does not work for you. He actually works for the employees under him and his customers.

Your four shares issued by Apple give you the right to a dividend should the company see fit to offer one … and that is all. 

From the FT:

But shares give their holders no right of possession and no right of use. If shareholders go to the company premises, they will more likely than not be turned away. 

They have no more right than other customers to the services of the business they “own”. The company’s actions are not their responsibility, and corporate assets cannot be used to satisfy their debts. 

Shareholders do not have the right to manage the company in which they hold an interest, and even their right to appoint the people who do is largely theoretical. They are entitled only to such part of the income as the directors declare as dividends, and have no right to the proceeds of the sale of corporate assets — except in the event of the liquidation of the entire company, in which case they will get what is left; not much, as a rule.

https://www.ft.com/content/7bd1b20a-879b-11e5-90de-f44762bf9896

It makes sense if you think about it. If shareholders actually had a say in company decisions then someone like you could quite easily end up running the company into the ground.

edited October 2016 watto_cobrawonkothesaneireland
  • Reply 137 of 198
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
    I need to agree.

Mac - nothing special

Cook needs to be fired.

Not a visionary. 
    You think he has issues? 

Seriously?

Music streaming

Man the fuck up and sell your shares. Since you can't manage that then stop gobbing off about your shares. No one here is impressed.

No man. Cook is ruining the company

Apple (AAPL) 'Doesn't Have that Founder Flame Anymore,' BGC Financial's Gillis Says

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13868645/1/apple-aapl-doesn-t-have-that-founder-flame-anymore-bgc-financial-s-gillis-says.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO&yptr=yahoo

No meaningful innovation since Cook took over
    And BGC Financials are…?

My niece says you’re a big ol' poopy pants. Should we just take her word for it?

• Reply 138 of 198
    nikon133 said:
    ireland said:

Yup!

• Reply 139 of 198
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    yellolion said:
    cali said:
    I need to agree.

Mac - nothing special

Cook needs to be fired.

Not a visionary. 
    You think he has issues? 

Seriously?

Music streaming

Why the hell should I sell my Apple shares?

I own Apple.

Cook works for ME, not the other way around.

I'm holding my shares because once Cook is removed this stock will go up 30-50% in a matter of months. That's how much Cook is dragging this stock down.
    Pretty sure Tim owns more AAPL than you.

The people who could force a change at CEO (and have not) own more still.

So while you own some AAPL, you likely don't have enough to dictate a CEO change.

If you have no confidence in Apple's leadership and you don't have the clout (shares) to force change, the sensible thing to do is sell.

All that said, I'm not selling my AAPL.
    ireland
  • Reply 140 of 198
    I realize there has been a lot of back and forth here, with a lot of passion. A competitor introducing an interesting new product always seems to result in something like that on these boards.

That tells me that we have issue on our hands.

It is important, however, to recognize that Apple has not had a new product home run since 2010. Nothing even close to OS X, iOS, iMac, iPod, iLife iPhone, or iPad (I am surely missing a couple more). I'd even add to it the first gen AppleTV, which appeared to have incredible promise. The Watch is a fine product -- I love mine -- but it is an accessory. Software offerings have become mostly incremental, and in any event, only produce cash flows for the company indirectly by bolstering the ecosystem. 

Speaking for myself, it is just a fact that I don't feel the same level of excitement as I did a decade ago. I am a contented Apple consumer, and a not-unhappy AAPL shareholder, but there is no doubt in my mind that its dramatic past success has come back to haunt it. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that 1998-2010 a decade or so of stunning achievement that can't be matched. Not even by Apple. For example, I have very low expectations for tomorrow. But I couldn't be happier if I turned out to be totally wrong.

At a minimum, the company has to articulate a vision for where it sees itself. That has to be much more than "we have INCREDIBLE stuff in the pipeline" or the CEO/Board's excitement over environmental and social issues. Period. For starters, the Board needs an overhaul, starting with some of the fuddy-duddies (e.g., Levinson Gore, Jung). It needs more people like Iger and Wagner.  
    edited October 2016 palominewonkothesane