Apple pushes Campus 2 completion into 2017, possibly changing move-in plans

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
Construction work on Apple's new Cupertino headquarters, Campus 2, now won't be finished until the beginning of 2017, according to the city's latest weekly update on the project.

Street and building work was originally meant to be wrapped up in the third quarter, leaving construction nearly a month overdue. The Cupertino government also remarked that landscaping and site work, which only started in Q3, won't be done until at least the second quarter of next year.

It's unclear if the delay -- not the first for the project -- will impact Apple's plans to move in. CEO Tim Cook previously told his workforce that they would begin moving in by the end of January, but now that could mean employees setting up weeks or even days after construction crews have cleared, if Apple isn't forced to delay the move-in outright.

Campus 2 was designed with input from late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, and has been a major endeavor. The site is eventually expected to house over 13,000 workers in a unique ring-shaped structure. Most of the complex's power will come from on-site solar and fuel cells, and some other features will include the likes of a 1,000-seat theater and a 100,000-square-foot fitness center.

A recent report indicated that Apple's current headquarters, located at 1 Infinite Loop, will fill up with people from the company's various cloud teams, including Siri, iCloud, Apple Music, iTunes, and more. The same report suggested that Campus 2's population could grow much higher than the 13,000 figure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    So this is where all the money for innovation is going.

Tim Cook's swan song. I hope.

Couple more disapponting quarters of the iPhone 6ss, and I hope Cook resigns. Stock will instantly go up just like when Balmer left.

Apple needs a new face at CEO.
    You're pathetic. I mean, deeply pathetic. Delays for the completion of project of this immense scale and ambition are normal and expected. Do you frantically refresh this site every second to get the 1st troll post to every article? Beyond sad.
    edited October 2016 mike1ramanpfaffjfc1138palomineirelandnolamacguymacsince1988ericthehalfbeejbdragontyler82
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Sog's moaning aside, I'll be glad when this monstrosity is done. I feel like construction has been a distraction, and having Apple's teams spread out everywhere can't be good either.
    SpamSandwichrezwits
  • Reply 3 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Couple more disapponting quarters of the iPhone 6ss, and I hope Cook resigns. Stock will instantly go up just like when Balmer left.

You're pathetic. I mean, deeply pathetic. Delays for the completion of project of this immense scale and ambition are normal and expected. Do you frantically refresh this site every second to get the 1st troll post to every article? Beyond sad.
    I don't care that the project is delayed.

I care that instead of spending money and release new innovative products they waste it on a UFO.
    You're clueless.
    nolamacguySoliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I've been suggesting for some time that this building would never be finished in 2016.   It's not a surprise - there's still plenty of work to do.   My bet is second quarter at least.   Also, all 13,000 employees aren't going to move in at once.   I believe it will happen over several months.   I've been at companies with only 1200 employees and when they moved, even that was accomplished over many weeks.  I remember rigging the schedule so my team would have to move last. 

Construction would have been a distraction for Jobs had he still be around, because he would have obsessed over every detail and forced changes.  But I bet that Cook is not really involved very much, except in terms of overall budgets and dates.  And certainly the development and marketing teams aren't distracted by this, because it really has nothing to do with them until they have to move.   Internal IT and HR teams are probably very involved.

jbdragonrandominternetpersonbadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Sog's moaning aside, I'll be glad when this monstrosity is done. I feel like construction has been a distraction, and having Apple's teams spread out everywhere can't be good either.
    As someone who's a big fan of architecture and its implications on company culture and workforce mood and satisfaction I applaud Apple's efforts here. It's not only a hallmark for the brand but I'd imagine working there would be like a giant oasis of inspiration merely looking out the windows and at the building. This campus will attract lots of talent. Let alone the way it's designed to increase collaboration, enable on site fitness for all and also the venue for most Apple product events going forward. This is about the long game at this building will prove invaluable to Apple for the next 30+ years.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguySoliiqatedorezwitssquareback
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Not really that important what day the project is completed and no reflection on Tim Cook whatsoever 
    Soli
  • Reply 7 of 28
    mpirate said:
    Not really that important what day the project is completed and no reflection on Tim Cook whatsoever 
    It could open the beginning of 2018 and it'd make no difference. The trick is to open when it's ready and to build the right building for the job. Apple are doing both.
    macseekerSoliwatto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 8 of 28
    This news confirms what we've been seeing with our eyes via the various videos shot by remote-controlled aircraft. 

Can't wait to visit Cupertino and see this marvel in person.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

I care that instead of spending money and release new innovative products they waste it on a UFO.
    Oh, so you're even more moronic than I gave you credit for.

Spending money on an HQ where Apple is going operate and live in for the next several decades is a "waste"? Maybe they should just stop now and demolish it? BTW, this was Steve's concept, not Cook's, so we can conclude that you therefore believe he was a terrible leader unfit for the job too.

Words cannot express how grotesquely clueless you are about literally and absolutely everything. I stated that you have the attention span and cognitive abilities of a 3 yr old towards a previous post from you, and as everyone here can see, you solidify that with every single post you make. There's so much stupidity there, from the fact that you put this on Cook, to the fact that you call it "wasting money on a UFO". to the fact that you believe this HQ is being built "instead" of products. Most rational people see this building as an inspiration, an incredible impressive feat, and something that will benefit Apple and its employees for decades. You see it as a useless failure, because you see everything as a projection of yourself. 

How you can be so utterly disconnected from anything approaching reality is, frankly, terrifying.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguyfastasleepSoliwatto_cobradamonfireland
  • Reply 10 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Apple has people spread out all over in the area. Paying rent to a bunch of buildings they don't own. In the end it'll save Apple money. It'll get everyone closer together which should help in both the hardware and software side of things. There's a number of benefits in the end with this new building.Happy Employee's mean better employee's!!!
    watto_cobradamonflikethesky
  • Reply 11 of 28
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Apple has people spread out all over in the area. Paying rent to a bunch of buildings they don't own. In the end it'll save Apple money. It'll get everyone closer together which should help in both the hardware and software side of things. There's a number of benefits in the end with this new building.Happy Employee's mean better employee's!!!
    (bolded text above, for emphasis)

Many CEOs do not share that point of view. Employees should always be at least a little bit afraid they'll lose their job in order to keep them on their toes and ensure they remain focused on the company's bottom line. Andy Grove famously insisted that only "the paranoid survive". Working for an employer that pays well should result in an exchange in which the employer receives more value for their money than they spend. Despite the "perks" that Silicon Valley companies have become famous for, these things only continue because they are rolling in cash and there is a tight labor market for talented people.
    edited October 2016 goodbyeranch
  • Reply 12 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    sog35 said:
    Apple will spend $10 billion on R&D for your "innovation" this year. None of that money is being used for this building.
    edited October 2016 Soliwatto_cobraireland
  • Reply 13 of 28
    THIS JUST IN - THURSDAY'S EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED - ALL MAC ENGINEERS HAVE BEEN REASSIGNED TO HELP FINISH THE UFO AND AIRPODS.
    SpamSandwichSoliwatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 28
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Sorry to find myself in a position to say "toldja so"...
    It just never really looked like they were going to make the December date.
    Oh well, it'll have been worth the wait, whenever they get there.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    jbdragon said:

Many CEOs do not share that point of view. Employees should always be at least a little bit afraid they'll lose their job in order to keep them on their toes and ensure they remain focused on the company's bottom line. Andy Grove famously insisted that only "the paranoid survive". Working for an employer that pays well should result in an exchange in which the employer receives more value for their money than they spend. Despite the "perks" that Silicon Valley companies have become famous for, these things only continue because they are rolling in cash and there is a tight labor market for talented people.
    As someone who's tried it both ways, my feeling now, when it really no longer matters is, 
    there may or may not be a small advantage to the short-term view of leading through fear...
    At the end of the day, treating people decently is simply right.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    THIS JUST IN - THURSDAY'S EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED - ALL MAC ENGINEERS HAVE BEEN REASSIGNED TO HELP FINISH THE UFO AND AIRPODS.
    Bold text is shouting. Go back fastasleep.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ireland said:
    Bold text is shouting. Go back fastasleep.
    It was caps, KANYE STYLE — not bold — and it was a joke.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrarandominternetpersonboredumb
  • Reply 18 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    boredumb said:
    Sorry to find myself in a position to say "toldja so"...
    It just never really looked like they were going to make the December date.
    Oh well, it'll have been worth the wait, whenever they get there.
    I don't think the December date was to finish the project, but to get at least one team on-site. I see no reason why they can't do that considering how large the structure is. 

And we don't have any information as to why there is a delay. Maybe something they built isn't going to work out as planned, maybe they had a better idea, or a vendor was delayed causing a minor part of the construciton to be behind. For instance, the German company manufacturing the glass panels may be behind, or maybe something happened during shipping, or maybe once it arrived onsite.

I will be surprised if everyone has moved into the Campus 2 by the end of 2017 considering the logistics involved for only furniture and office supplies, but not surprised if they announce one or more teams onsite.

Does the update specifically refer to the spaceship, or does the project refer to all other building near it, many of which started well after the area main building?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    boredumb said:
    jbdragon said:

As someone who's tried it both ways, my feeling now, when it really no longer matters is, 
    there may or may not be a small advantage to the short-term view of leading through fear...
    At the end of the day, treating people decently is simply right.
    I prefer it that way myself, however complacency sets in when people relax too much. I think treating people fairly is fine, but no one should ever feel like they are a linchpin of an organization and cannot be replaced.
    Solilikethesky
  • Reply 20 of 28
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Right now, Apple staff are spread over probably  50 or 60 buildings in the valley. That stifles innovation, and building a consolidated campus helps address it.

likethesky