Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Comments

• Reply 161 of 198
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Obviously this doesn't run macOS or iOS, both superior to Microsofts offerings, but boy - look at that.
    MS out-innovating Apple on hardware design, who would thought of that? It's about time Apple is confronted with their laziness. iMac and the concept of the iMac has been around for years and the form factor hasn't been changed for a long time. Apple has become a boring, predictive company and they need to turn that around quickly.

• Reply 162 of 198
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    I wouldn't count it out just yet. Apple was granted a patent for something similar in 2010

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html

But Apple has been adamant that the Mac is strictly KB / Mouse / trackpad environment.  So, instead of thinking iMac Touch or coming at it from a Mac angle, think 27" desktop iPad Pro, custom Apple ARM SoC, "desktop class" iOS (since iOS is Apple's OS designed from the ground up for Touch / Pencil input).
    I wonder how many other companies' products are results of their designers plundering patentlyapple.com — the Surface Studio included.
    That's just the Surface Studio. There's also the Surface Book. There's this Apple patent from 2013, year before Surface Book came out

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/finally-apple-reveals-their-hybrid-notebook-tablet-details.html

Look familiar.
    Exactly my point. :)
    Surface Book is shipping. Surface Studio will be shipping this fall. Isn't a patent application basically vaproware? When are the above patent applications going to become shipping products?
    Hopefully never, and I wasn't suggesting they should be. I was suggesting it's likely concepts/designs for some of these shipping products were ripped off from Apple's patents. I'm not saying Apple should've built them first. Do you need a diagram?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 163 of 198
    This is basically what Apple would have done years ago if the Mac was their only focus, as it's somewhat of the natural evolution of the iMac G4 design. But Apple had bigger fish to fry, thankfully. 
    I wouldn't count it out just yet. Apple was granted a patent for something similar in 2010

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html

But Apple has been adamant that the Mac is strictly KB / Mouse / trackpad environment.  So, instead of thinking iMac Touch or coming at it from a Mac angle, think 27" desktop iPad Pro, custom Apple ARM SoC, "desktop class" iOS (since iOS is Apple's OS designed from the ground up for Touch / Pencil input).
    I wonder how many other companies' products are results of their designers plundering patentlyapple.com — the Surface Studio included.
    That's just the Surface Studio. There's also the Surface Book. There's this Apple patent from 2013, year before Surface Book came out

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/04/finally-apple-reveals-their-hybrid-notebook-tablet-details.html

Look familiar.
    Surface Book is shipping. Surface Studio will be shipping this fall. Isn't a patent application basically vaproware? When are the above patent applications going to become shipping products?
    Hopefully never, and I wasn't suggesting they should be. I was suggesting it's likely concepts/designs for some of these shipping products were ripped off from Apple's patents. I'm not saying Apple should've built them first. Do you need a diagram?
    No I just think it's silly to suggest a company rips off another company based on patent applications. Does anyone really think Microsoft needed an Apple patent application to get the idea for Surface Studio? That's absurd. Fact is Microsoft has always done cool research. Now that Ballmer is gone we get to see some of it. Perhaphs when Tim Cook goes off to work in the Clinton White House we'll start seeing some of the really cool stuff in Apple's labs too.
  • Reply 164 of 198
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

I disagree!  I would easily pay that price or more for an Apple product with those capabilities!

Can't innovate -- Panos' ass!

This Surace Studio actually exceeds expectations. If the new iMac offers nothing significantly better, I may actually bite the bullet and get one of these. 
    I wonder if RAM and disk are user-upgradeable. When I replace my mid-2011 iMac I'll be willing to sacrifice iMessage, the barely useful hand-off features on my model, and the horrid Launchpad for that capability. 
  • Reply 165 of 198
    dacloo said:
    Obviously this doesn't run macOS or iOS, both superior to Microsofts offerings, but boy - look at that.
    MS out-innovating Apple on hardware design, who would thought of that? It's about time Apple is confronted with their laziness. iMac and the concept of the iMac has been around for years and the form factor hasn't been changed for a long time. Apple has become a boring, predictive company and they need to turn that around quickly.

For a while now Apple products have felt more engineered than designed, and sometimes unfinished. Why didn't the Apple Watch launch with a beautiful charging dock rather than nothing and then that white saucer we got later that doesn't look very elegant at all. The iPhone battery case appears to be a great product from an engineering standpoint but it looks ugly. It's really cool how you can just stick an Apple Pencil into a lightening port for a quick charge but I wonder how many people have lost the little cap on the end of it? And it certainly looks odd to have the pencil sticking out of the end of the iPad Pro. Friends of mine think the quick charging is cool but worry about the pencil snapping off and also think it looks weird. Plus there's no place to store or attach the pencil to the iPad or smart case so you either have to buy your own case and carry it with you or hope you don't lose it. And the Magic Mouse with the lightening port at the bottom...again the engineering is great but the final design is just odd. You have social media full of photos of the mouse upside down with the charging cable sticking out of it. Makes me wonder, is the design team bored? Are they off working on Project Titan or something else and the engineers are left to turn these innovations into products? Or is the design team losing its edge?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 166 of 198
    Note the woman supporting the display with her left hand as she draws with her right hand. In short, it's structurally weak. A true light table is supporting from edge to edge. It's the reason an iPad Pro is such a beautiful drawing tool: it's solid from edge to edge.

This is someone taking the humungous Surface Table and making a pseudo drafting light table display that folds up towards an ordinary iMac clone.

As usual, Microsoft spreads itself across too many domains resulting in a compromised solution.
    tmaymattinozmacplusplusbaconstangpalomine
  • Reply 167 of 198
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Note the woman supporting the display with her left hand as she draws with her right hand. In short, it's structurally weak. A true light table is supporting from edge to edge. It's the reason an iPad Pro is such a beautiful drawing tool: it's solid from edge to edge.

This is someone taking the humungous Surface Table and making a pseudo drafting light table display that folds up towards an ordinary iMac clone.

As usual, Microsoft spreads itself across too many domains resulting in a compromised solution.
    That's a good observation.

The Surface Studio appears a bit the Halo Project, and while it might find a solid, though small audience, it won't be a huge moneymaker. Lost in the Buzz, MS still has almost no mobile footprint, and the PC market continues to shrink. 

More doubling down on x86, same as it ever has, but now with more buzz.
  • Reply 168 of 198
    So this is electronic drafting table? How is it impressive again?

Just because you have to swing it down, moving keyboard and mouse aside, to draw then swing that massive screen up to use it as a computer, dragging keyboard and mouse back, is that it that people here are creaming themselves over? 
    Are you all desperate for massive iPad Pro that much?
    edited October 2016 macplusplusbaconstang
  • Reply 169 of 198
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member

Yep, love the idea it shows much promise but it's easy to see how a few tweaks to the design could have made it much better in practical terms.In the first instance they shouldn't have made it rely on the stand/base. It would have been a much more flexible tool if they kept all the guts in the panel and the stand was an accessory (much like modern TV's) and you could build custom mounts for it.

Sure hoping Apple is keen to prove me right with an iMacPro some time very soon (although more likely next year).
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 170 of 198
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member

Look familiar.
    No I just think it's silly to suggest a company rips off another company based on patent applications. Does anyone really think Microsoft needed an Apple patent application to get the idea for Surface Studio? That's absurd. Fact is Microsoft has always done cool research. Now that Ballmer is gone we get to see some of it. Perhaphs when Tim Cook goes off to work in the Clinton White House we'll start seeing some of the really cool stuff in Apple's labs too.
    "Does anyone really think Microsoft needed an Apple patent application to get the idea for Surface Studio? That's absurd."

Why is that absurd? You really think that doesn't happen? Let me phrase that question another, do you think if MS never saw those Apple patents for their iMac Touch / hybrid laptop that they would've been able to come out with Surface Book or Surface Studio?
  • Reply 171 of 198
    Concept lifted DIRECTLY from Apple patent filing from a decade ago for 20" iMac G4 "pro". http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LFvhlL_MWog/T1Q_KY-NljI/AAAAAAAAADQ/pfmeFjl4fFk/s1600/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-800wi.jpg
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 172 of 198
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    lkrupp said:
    So after all these years both Google and Microsoft suddenly realize that Apple was right all along. Controlling the software AND the hardware is a good thing, that the Walled Garden approach isn’t so bad after all. I guess pigs do fly.
    I guess if you want to become the richest man in the world, licensing your software and let others build the PCs also works....
  • Reply 173 of 198
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    As an Apple-only user since before there even was a Macintosh, the Surface Studio makes me angry. Angry because this is exactly the product that Apple should have made at least 6 years ago. Angry because it's inexcusable that Apple's products have fallen so far behind that even goddamn Microsoft looks innovative next to them. Angry because I really hate Windows but increasingly he hardware that does what I need to pay my bills is running it.

Seriously Apple, get your shit together.
    amclizanantksundaramluvappl
  • Reply 174 of 198
    Well said Bsenka and well vented!! I totally agree with everything you have said.... yesterday's Microsoft event was a bit of a milestone really... and really showed how out of touch and blinkered Apple have become... Microsoft are innovating and engaging in so many ways (VR, AR)... giving us a vision of theirs and our future... Apple is still hanging onto the old secrecy way of doing things that now looks outdated and frankly... CHILDISH... and same goes with their keynotes... BEST EVER PHONE WE HAVE MADE!!! BEST EVER IPAD WE HAVE MADE!!! BEST EVER IMAC WE HAVE MADE!!! Laptop.... blah de blah.... they really need to get their MOJO back.... otherwise.... this could be the beginning of the end of their HALO effect on all things they do.
    edited October 2016 anantksundarambsenka
  • Reply 175 of 198
    bsenka said:
    As an Apple-only user since before there even was a Macintosh, the Surface Studio makes me angry. Angry because this is exactly the product that Apple should have made at least 6 years ago. Angry because it's inexcusable that Apple's products have fallen so far behind that even goddamn Microsoft looks innovative next to them. Angry because I really hate Windows but increasingly he hardware that does what I need to pay my bills is running it.

Seriously Apple, get your shit together.

In your Apple using "even before Macintosh", have Apple ever made "hybrid" product?
  • Reply 176 of 198
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member

Look familiar.
    "Does anyone really think Microsoft needed an Apple patent application to get the idea for Surface Studio? That's absurd."

Why is that absurd? You really think that doesn't happen? Let me phrase that question another, do you think if MS never saw those Apple patents for their iMac Touch / hybrid laptop that they would've been able to come out with Surface Book or Surface Studio?
    Apple may had those hardware related patents, but MS were the one who had the vision to make them useful.  Apple think that touchscreen desktop it's not the right interface and 2-1 devices like the SP4 were a Toaster-Fridge.  MS prove them wrong in both concepts. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/touch-screen-mac-unlikely-says-apples-federighi/
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/06/microsoft-exec-jabs-at-apple-tweets-drawing-of-converged-toaster-and-refrigerator
  • Reply 177 of 198
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    cpsro said:
    Since when does an all-in-one computer consist of two parts bolted together?
    Wowsers, that's ugly!
    Umm... Luxo lamp iMac 
  • Reply 178 of 198
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The video is pretty good, and I like the idea of that twisty thing (tm). 

Could Apple do this? It would mean making a desktop mac work as an iPad in certain circumstances 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 179 of 198
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    asdasd said:
    The video is pretty good, and I like the idea of that twisty thing (tm). 

Could Apple do this? It would mean making a desktop mac work as an iPad in certain circumstances 
    I know of at least one artist that loves MS products and that this thing is specifically for. I am sure she will love it and will buy one. (But of course, she loved her Windows Phone too, but that's beside the point...) From my cursory, non-artist perspective, I wonder if Apple doesn't have a case for some sort of stand/dock for the iPad Pro. Sure, it is smaller, but for sure aimed at the very niche market as well. Still, this MS product is squarely aimed and optimized for the same sort of professional artist customer as the 12" iPad Pro.

And who knows? Apple dropped the thunderbolt display last summer; maybe its replacement is a touchscreen variant you can link to a mac pro...that runs some iOS type hybrid on top of macOS... Apple can clearly compete with this product...but will they?
  • Reply 180 of 198
    pigybank said:
    Concept lifted DIRECTLY from Apple patent filing from a decade ago for 20" iMac G4 "pro". http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LFvhlL_MWog/T1Q_KY-NljI/AAAAAAAAADQ/pfmeFjl4fFk/s1600/6a0120a5580826970c0133f34442aa970b-800wi.jpg
    Apple and Microsoft are in a broad patent sharing arrangement. It may very well be that this is part of that.
    canukstorm