Mysterious overnight activity at Apple stores presages Thursday's Mac event

Posted:
in General Discussion
At least some Apple stores across the U.S. -- including its Union Square outlet in San Francisco -- reportedly set up line barriers on Wednesday night, and/or saw unusual activity behind their glass facades.

Image Credit: wollae on Reddit
Image Credit: wollae on Reddit

At the Union Square store, the barriers were accompanied by contractors making laser measurements and pointing to the building's glass doors, one Reddit commentor noted. When asked, one of the contractors allegedly said "sorry, can't say anything" with a grin. Some bags in the building are said to have "SFO" airline tags on them, implying that people had just flown in.

Similar activity was spotted at other Apple stores in Hawaii and Indianapolis, according to follow-up posts.

It's not clear what the activity might mean. Line barriers could imply Apple is expecting to launch an important new product following Thursday's Mac event, but Mac launches aren't typically blockbusters, and the company tends not to have a new product in stores the same day as a press event.

Perhaps more likely is that the company is preparing to install new product displays, though if so, that may not explain the barriers.

The focus of today's event -- starting at 10 a.m. Pacific time -- is expected to be redesigned MacBook Pros, including OLED touchbars and Touch ID sensors. The company may also show off a 13-inch MacBook or MacBook Air, however, and new Apple TV software, including a guide/recommendation app and delayed single sign-on support.

AppleInsider will be live at the event to provide play-by-play coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    On a related Note, walked by the Samsung Store the other day and they STILL have a huge Note 7 ad in their store.

Seriously?
    mike1SpamSandwichh2pDeelronwatto_cobrajony0lolliverbadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 31
    do you mean presages? does it have to be negative? I would have thought it was a good sign what with the event coming.
    SpamSandwichtrisbanfi
  • Reply 3 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Maybe they were installing temporary projection systems to simulcast the event at the front of the stores.
    h2p
  • Reply 4 of 31
    FREE MACS FOR EVERYONE! /s
    SpamSandwichjagnut
  • Reply 5 of 31
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    sog35 said:
    How many of you have 0% hype for today's event?

I've been disappointed so many times the last 3 years at Apple events. So many disappointments the last few events:

1. releasing the iPhone 6ss
    2. Apple Watch crappy interface, nothing really innovative
    3. AppleTV. Nothing new. Just a roku
    4. No home hub
    5. No touch screen Mac's
    6. No Apple brand TV display

Its going to be the same old crap.
    Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, and some other random Apple executive spouting about how 'amazing' something is.

Apple is getting stale, boring, no excitement.

Don't get me wrong. They still make the best quality product and very reliable. Just like a Toyota.

But Apple use to be Ferrari. They use to be sexy, cutting edge, and make your blood boil. Now its the same crap with a tiny bit of improvement.

IMO, its a reflection of how lazy and self satisified the executives have become.
    Cook, Cue, Shiller, and Ive are all established. All are worth more than $100 million and are fat and happy. They are not willing or motivated to take risks because they got it made.

Apple needs a serious shake up. The old guard is just..........old. We need new blood that is excited, innovated, and willing to fail miserably. We need younger execs who are hungry, have vision, and want to make a mark in the world.

I can't be alone in this. Can I? 

You want proof of how far Apple has fallen?

Do you think 5 years ago Microsoft or Google would even dare release a product to compete with Apple's premier products? Hell no.

But Google bringing out the Pixel at the same price as the iPhone is a sign. Google sees how weak Apple is now. In the past Google always had to compete on price. Same with Microsoft and the Surface book and Surface Studio. That's how weak and feable Apple looks to its competition now. 5 years ago that was UNTHINKABLE.
    You are not alone.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I'm pretty excited for this. There hasn't been a Mac-centric event in quite some time. Or at least, where they were the focus of the show. Usually they're introduced as just part of something else. Looking forward to what's in store for this one.
    jahajapalominelolliver
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No idea. 

Would you you really expect queuing on Announcement Day?

It seems a bit odd to me. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Here goes Sog and his agenda....
    Rayz2016mike1revenantjony0lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 31
    sog35 said:

I've been disappointed so many times the last 3 years at Apple events. So many disappointments the last few events:

4. No home hub
    5. No touch screen Mac's

Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, and some other random Apple executive spouting about how 'amazing' something is.

Don't get me wrong. They still make the best quality product and very reliable. Just like a Toyota.

But Apple use to be Ferrari. They use to be sexy, cutting edge, and make your blood boil. Now its the same crap with a tiny bit of improvement.

IMO, its a reflection of how lazy and self satisified the executives have become.
    Cook, Cue, Shiller, and Ive are all established. All are worth more than $100 million and are fat and happy. They are not willing or motivated to take risks because they got it made.

Apple needs a serious shake up. The old guard is just..........old. We need new blood that is excited, innovated, and willing to fail miserably. We need younger execs who are hungry, have vision, and want to make a mark in the world.

Do you think 5 years ago Microsoft or Google would even dare release a product to compete with Apple's premier products? Hell no.

But Google bringing out the Pixel at the same price as the iPhone is a sign. Google sees how weak Apple is now. In the past Google always had to compete on price. Same with Microsoft and the Surface book and Surface Studio. That's how weak and feable Apple looks to its competition now. 5 years ago that was UNTHINKABLE.

• Reply 10 of 31
    sog35, has your account been hacked?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Folks, I'm telling you, this is going to be tremendous! It's very, very exciting! Totally bigleague!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Purchase a clue.  Steve Jobs passed.  Henry Ford passed.  Henry Morrison Flagler passed.  Commodore Vanderbilt passed.  John Rockefeller passed.  Andre Carnegie passed.  John Ringling passed.  The list is long.  When the visionary dies, the essence that made the true greatness almost always goes.  Steve ain't coming back so deal with what you've got, which are still some pretty great products if not as great as those of old.  Of course you could always start your own path of greatness.  Barring that, sit down in the back of the class, your head is too big for many to see around.
    ewtheckmansmiffy31sully54palominemdriftmeyerrevenant
  • Reply 13 of 31
    sog35 said:
    minglok50 said:
    What agenda?

All I want is what is best for Apple, its customers, its employee, its owners.

Apple being stale, fat, and lazy is a slow death.

Can you not see how the excitement in Apple has slowly died the last 4 years?

Tell me the last time you were truly excited about an Apple release? For me it was the iPad. Which seems like forever ago, seems like a totally different era, and company.

The releases by Cook have all been Blah disappointments: iPhone 6ss, iPad Pro, skinnier Macs, AppleTV, and Watch.

Cook, Ive, Cue, and Shiller don't even seem excited about the products. Half the time Cook is spending time at social events. Seems Cook is more excited and passionate about human rights than new products. Ive seems bored and is more into fashion and decorating Christmas Trees. Cue has been a total worthless, not being able to close the deal for a live TV package while crappy brands like Sling have. Shiller just seems to want to upsell you more and more.

Its friken ridiculous.

Wheres the passion?
    Wheres the excitement?

Looks like all they care about is making $$$ and keeping their $30 million a year jobs.
    Let's see

iMac released 1998
    iPod released 2001
    iPhone released 2007
    iPad released 2010
    Apple Watch released 2015

There has always been time gaps between new product releases. 

As for excitement I was quite pleased with the release of the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil – a potential game changer for creatives who use Wacom tablets.

Unfortunately you seem to find the negatives rather than the positives when it comes to Tim Cook and his team. Steve Jobs chose Cook as his successor so I'm sure he felt he was the right person to lead.

You seem to believe stock prices are the most important representation on how Tim Cook is doing, when it's quite clear that Wall Street are manipulating the stock and undervaluing Apple.  
    Rayz2016tmaymike1nolamacguylolliver
  • Reply 14 of 31
    "You're getting a Mac... and YOU'RE getting a Mac..!"
    edited October 2016 Rayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 31
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    On a related Note, walked by the Samsung Store the other day and they STILL have a huge Note 7 ad in their store.

Seriously?
    Haha, what a company... Glad Apple has a top former COO, even using laser measurements (talking about logistics).
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 16 of 31
    sog35 said:
    minglok50 said:
    sog35 said:
    minglok50 said:
    What agenda?

Tell me the last time you were truly excited about an Apple release? For me it was the iPad. Which seems like forever ago, seems like a totally different era, and company.

The releases by Cook have all been Blah disappointments: iPhone 6ss, iPad Pro, skinnier Macs, AppleTV, and Watch.

Cook, Ive, Cue, and Shiller don't even seem excited about the products. Half the time Cook is spending time at social events. Seems Cook is more excited and passionate about human rights than new products. Ive seems bored and is more into fashion and decorating Christmas Trees. Cue has been a total worthless, not being able to close the deal for a live TV package while crappy brands like Sling have. Shiller just seems to want to upsell you more and more.

Its friken ridiculous.

Wheres the passion?
    Wheres the excitement?

Looks like all they care about is making $$$ and keeping their $30 million a year jobs.
    Let's see

iMac released 1998
    iPod released 2001
    iPhone released 2007
    iPad released 2010

As for excitement I was quite pleased with the release of the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil – a potential game changer for creatives who use Wacom tablets.

Unfortunately you seem to find the negatives rather than the positives when it comes to Tim Cook and his team. Steve Jobs chose Cook as his successor so I'm sure he felt he was the right person to lead.

You seem to believe stock prices are the most important representation on how Tim Cook is doing, when it's quite clear that Wall Street are manipulating the stock and undervaluing Apple.  
    I'm sorry but Apple Watch is not exciting.

Apple Watch is simply an accessory to the iPhone. Its a hobby. Something on the side. I own one and enjoy it. But it does not bring excitement. Its productivity tool. Something I would expect from a supply chain guy. I like it, but there is no passion, no excitement.  The pencil is another accessory, and even more niche than the Watch.

But my point isn't even about bringing out a brand new product line. If Apple made the iPad, iPhone, Mac, ect more exicting that would be great! 

But I just don't see it. I don't see the new iPhones/iPads/Macs as exciting the last few years. They don't stir up passion, excitement!!!

The iPhone the last few years was just about bigger screen, better camera. Big deal. That does not make me excited. Neither has the new iPads and Macs. Neither has the AppleTV or Watch. Even Apple services are not exciting. Apple Music? Blah. Apps on AppleTV? Blah.  Apple Pay is nice but not acceptable by way too many places. I like TouchID but again that's about productivity not excitement.

What would make me excited? I don't know. But a visionary would know. That is was is sorely missing with Apple right now.

I agree in part with you about the iPhone. I've got an iPhone 6 and am holding out until the 10th anniversary phone. With luck this new iteration will have the passion and excitement you seek. 

We shall wait and see what is released today... with hope there will be something new that will excite you.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Seriously?

S-eeeriously. :wink: 

sog35 said:
    minglok50 said:
    sog35 said:
    minglok50 said:
    What agenda?

Its friken ridiculous.

Wheres the passion?
    Wheres the excitement?

Let's see

iMac released 1998
    iPod released 2001
    iPhone released 2007
    iPad released 2010

I'm sorry but Apple Watch is not exciting.

Apple Watch is simply an accessory to the iPhone. Its a hobby. Something on the side. I own one and enjoy it. But it does not bring excitement. Its productivity tool. Something I would expect from a supply chain guy. I like it, but there is no passion, no excitement.  The pencil is another accessory, and even more niche than the Watch.

But my point isn't even about bringing out a brand new product line. If Apple made the iPad, iPhone, Mac, ect more exicting that would be great! 

But I just don't see it. I don't see the new iPhones/iPads/Macs as exciting the last few years. They don't stir up passion, excitement!!!

The iPhone the last few years was just about bigger screen, better camera. Big deal. That does not make me excited. Neither has the new iPads and Macs. Neither has the AppleTV or Watch. Even Apple services are not exciting. Apple Music? Blah. Apps on AppleTV? Blah.  Apple Pay is nice but not acceptable by way too many places. I like TouchID but again that's about productivity not excitement.

What would make me excited? I don't know. But a visionary would know. That is was is sorely missing with Apple right now.

Something tells me not much would get you excited with such a dark view on the world. :neutral:  Can you appreciate the quality of Apple's products, for what they are in the larger landscape of tech? Perfect, no, but zero loss of commitment to excellence. I think that works against them by taking forever to release new tech, and we consumers get impatient.
    mike1
  • Reply 18 of 31
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    sog35 said:

4. No home hub
    5. No touch screen Mac's

Uh. Pretty sure there were Windows phones out there five years ago. Not many, mind you, but they were out there. They made the 'Zune,' too. That turned out well.

To the broader point, here's how these things go.

All the way back into when Steve Jobs was around, Apple would, a couple times a year, do one of these events. Most of the time, the announcements were about updates and incremental improvements to the existing product line. Occasionally (very occasionally), there would be an announcement of a new 'thing.' Apple fans would of course be excited about all of these announcements.

The critics, however, would alternate between bellyaching about incrementalism when the announcement was about updates, and being incredibly unimpressed at the new 'thing,' when that was the announcement. "Who would want an ipod? MP3 players already exist, and they're not locked into Apple's ecosystem." "Who would want an iPhone? It has no physical keyboard, and isn't serious like a Blackberry." "Who would want an iPad? It's just an over-sized iPhone that won't fit in your pocket,and it's too limited because it doesn't run OSX. Also- wasn't iPad a hilarious SNL sketch about Apple-branded feminine hygiene products?" "Who would want an Apple Watch? There are already FitBits and the AW is tethered to your iPhone." etc., etc. 

We've got it. Since this is expected to be an update announcement, you're gearing up to be unimpressed by incrementalism, and you're probably also a little disappointed that it's not going to be an announcement of a whole new product that you can find underwhelming (..underwhelming now, mind you, but  in a few years, will praise as incredibly innovative in comparison to whatever you're unimpressed with then....).
    mike1
  • Reply 19 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    stanhope said:
    Purchase a clue.  Steve Jobs passed.  Henry Ford passed.  Henry Morrison Flagler passed.  Commodore Vanderbilt passed.  John Rockefeller passed.  Andre Carnegie passed.  John Ringling passed.  The list is long.  When the visionary dies, the essence that made the true greatness almost always goes.  Steve ain't coming back so deal with what you've got, which are still some pretty great products if not as great as those of old.  Of course you could always start your own path of greatness.  Barring that, sit down in the back of the class, your head is too big for many to see around.
    Wrong approach. You're arguing from personality, not technical evolution, a much greater force.

Steve Jobs was one of the great surfers in industrial history. He rode a wave called Personal Computing, which in turn was driven by an ocean storm called Large Scale Integrated circuitry (LSI — an old term, look it up). Jony Ive is also riding this wave, along with his crew, Apple's other, unsung hardware and software geniuses, and the great global tacticians who orchestrate production, Tim Cook, Jeff Williams, and others we don't know about.

Jobs, Ive and the hard- and software people at Apple have been inventing portable personal computing like no one else cared enough to do. They discovered, Jobs initially, the key ingredient was to think of the user first and make the tool desirable and easy to use. Still no one else gets this, because it's essentially a state of mind invented in the 60s and 70s of countercultural California, where personal mental freedom merged with personal electronics.

Apple is a huge global machine founded on the wave that's putting perfected computing devices in our hands for our personal power. It's now as unstoppable as Daimler-Benz became a hundred years ago. The perceived "drought" in exciting product releases are entirely dependent on available tecnnology, not on any mysterious, waning spirit of "innovation" (stupid business-school word). 

When 3D transparent displays can be worn as glasses, or when the Watch can make calls and send pictures, when the environment can be sensed, captured and computed upon for our benefit, who is on track to bring out the groundbreaking products? Samsung? Google? Microsoft? Don't make stupid errors of history or evolution. Only Apple is working on the LSI.
    palominenolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 31
    sog35 said:

4. No home hub
    5. No touch screen Mac's

So lets look at your post

1. releasing the iPhone 6ss (I assume you mean iPhone 7 because they did not change the form factor, still going to buy 7 of them earlier next week for my company)
    2. Apple Watch crappy interface, nothing really innovative (Agreed, just compare it to a superior interface like Microsoft's offering oh wait, discontinued, maybe get the flat tire instead?)
    3. AppleTV. Nothing new. Just a roku (My household consumes all our media via Apple TV, what exactly needs to change it does what it was designed to do)
    4. No home hub (Apple TV 4 does that with my August lock)
    5. No touch screen Mac's (Look how well that's reinvigorated the PC market)
    6. No Apple brand TV display (OK maybe a point here, LG got my dollars when I would have bough an Apple branded TV no questions)

Should Apple aggressively take risk with their cash horde, you know maybe the Google approach. I mean Alphabet, or aka "Google separated from all it's losing divisions", all of it's Moonshots and acquisitions. Boston Dynamics, Motorola, Nest, Google Fiber, etc all of these big bets were basically throw crap at a wall cash burns. Pixel is the latest addition to the bonfire, though it's demise might be slightly delayed due to the overwhelming, some might say explosive, success of another company that was taking aggressive risk to beat out the competition. After all it is unrealistic to assume Apple will pickup all of their lost business.

Microsoft and Google have hubris in spades, that's why they are trying to go toe to toe with Apple on price. They also have both watched most of their "partners" dwindle into obscurity in a race to the bottom. The only winner in that race is China, not because it's a race worth winning but because of no copyright laws, a favorable domestic government agenda and rock bottom wages. Even Samsung's starting to be out Samsung'ed by Chinese companies and that's quite a feat. I'm not even going to address the new Microsoft offerings that no one will buy, though I'm quite sure they will ship a lot for IDC to report.

Yes you are, for the most part, alone in your line of thinking. It really sounds like your stock bets haven't been working out. Your pretty much always pro Apple until the stock doesn't go to $150, then it's Cook's incompetent, Apple can't innovate, not investing enough ... Benghazi. Come on man, your flip flopping more than politicians supporting Trump.
    edited October 2016 mike1palominenolamacguy