Apple's online store becomes unavailable ahead of 'Hello Again' Mac event

Posted:
in General Discussion
As is par for the course, Apple's online store is unavailable in the hours leading up to a media presentation, with today's keynote expected to be headlined by a new, thinner MacBook Pro with OLED "Magic Toolbar" and USB-C ports.

"We've got something special in store for you," the Apple store read as of Thursday morning. "And we can't wait for you to see it. Please check back soon."

It's likely that preorders -- or potential sales and shipping -- of Apple's latest Macs could begin as soon as the keynote presentation ends. Things are scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

The event will take place at Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., and is expected to be the last media event at the current 1 Infinite Loop location. Early next year, Apple is scheduled to move into its new "spaceship" Campus 2 down the road.

AppleInsider will be there with live coverage and analysis from today's presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We've complained about this before. It's hard to understand why the entire store needs to go down for hours before an event. I would think that, by now, Apple would have figured out how to just change the areas needed, and prepare everything so that it could be done in, say, 30 minutes.
    rare comment
  • Reply 2 of 9
    melgross said:
    We've complained about this before. It's hard to understand why the entire store needs to go down for hours before an event. I would think that, by now, Apple would have figured out how to just change the areas needed, and prepare everything so that it could be done in, say, 30 minutes.
    I think it's more to curb the backlash of someone ordering a product that is updated two hours later ( I bought a MB Pro, then a new one came out with better specs).  If they only killed the Macbook Pro ordering page, this would show people exactly what products were being updated before they were able to do it.
    bdkennedy1002mike1Deelronsteveh
  • Reply 3 of 9
    melgross said:
    I agree. Given that Apple is one of the largest online retailers by dollar value, I imagine that their typical hourly sales are massive and that even losing a small percentage of buyers because the store is out is meaningful. Even weirder: iPhone is ~65% of their revenues. They are shutting down their entire store for, in some sense, a MAJORITY of their customers for a minority product (to be clear, we are an all Mac household for 30+ years). When is the last time Amazon had to shut down its store because it introduced a new category (let alone just added a few products which must happen many times a minute)? There must be a theory for this because it can't be impracticability.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Been waiting for a new MBP for a year now, just take my money already !
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    melgross said:
    I don't think it's a technical issue, it's called SHOWMANSHIP.

Like the store is holding its breath before an exciting announcement.
    jahajamike1Deelron
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    melgross said:

Agree. It's all about the drama. But it today's world of social media and rumor sites, I think it's well past time for Apple to end this little bit of the dog-and-pony show. Go ahead a put up a splash screen, but then let me got on with ordering the cable or dongle or whatever is is that I came here for.

What does Apple do if someone walks into one of their physical stores on the morning's of these events? Does a sales associate distract them for three hours waiting for the announcement? Do they pull all about-to-be-upgraded products from their displays so nobody buys them?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    melgross said:

I agree with this.  It adds to the excitement.  I've got my credit card out.  Daughter needs a new laptop.
    mike1
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think a blacked out silhouette of the product with an invitation to check out the keynote would be neat. It would give visitors an idea of what's coming and directions on how to see what it is. Maybe even include an approximate time on when to come back to see what it is.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    I agree. Given that Apple is one of the largest online retailers by dollar value, I imagine that their typical hourly sales are massive and that even losing a small percentage of buyers because the store is out is meaningful. Even weirder: iPhone is ~65% of their revenues. They are shutting down their entire store for, in some sense, a MAJORITY of their customers for a minority product (to be clear, we are an all Mac household for 30+ years). When is the last time Amazon had to shut down its store because it introduced a new category (let alone just added a few products which must happen many times a minute)? There must be a theory for this because it can't be impracticability.
    As Wiggins says, do they close the stores for 6 hours? Not to my knowledge. Do they tell people,they can't buy product during that time? Not to my knowledge.

besides, Apple allows you to return your product for, what is it now, 15 days, 7 days? People have been doing this for years when a new model comes out.

if someone buys the old model a half hour before Apple closes the web store, what then? How about an hour before, two hours, three? At what point does it have to stop? A week?