AppleInsider is live at Apple's 'Hello Again' MacBook Pro event -- tap here for instant analysis

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple will close out its 2016 product launches with one last event from its campus at 1 Infinite Loop, where it is expected to introduce a newly redesigned MacBook Pro with a thinner chassis, OLED "Magic Touchbar," and USB-C ports. AppleInsider is there live with full coverage and instant analysis.

Please wait and you will be automatically forwarded to AppleInsider's live feed, or click here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36

"Apple will close out its 2016 product launches with one last event from its campus at 1 Infinite Loop"

We don't know for sure that Apple won't roll out another product between now and December 31 or between now and when the new building is ready.

• Reply 3 of 36
    … they invite a writer for a rumors/leaks site to official events?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    really no need for this guys since apple is broadcasting video live
  • Reply 5 of 36
    "That live stream was not found."
  • Reply 6 of 36
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Tim...please. Show us the new stuff. 15 minutes of other peoples reviews, pictures, quotes. Get on with it.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Wish the bloggers for AI would post some photos - can't watch it live, and just reading sentences is rather boring. Unsure if they can, tho, since one of them said they had to power down phones. 
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    peterhart said:
    Wish the bloggers for AI would post some photos - can't watch it live, and just reading sentences is rather boring. Unsure if they can, tho, since one of them said they had to power down phones. 

We're working on it. Dan is live at the event for us right now, but we're having problems with our liveblog provider at the moment, because of course we would.
    peterhart
  • Reply 9 of 36
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I don't agree with Sog generally but I do think Cook is giving off a kind of Mr. Rogers vibe.  I'm going to like this new Macbook Pro but I don't really like this event.  It seems kind of amateurish.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I liked the nostalgia angle. But I preferred the PowerBook 100. Guess they didn't use that as an example since Sony designed it using Apple's design language.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Please god, put this touch bar on a BT keyboard for iMac.
    palomine
  • Reply 12 of 36
    You knee capped the Polaris with Display 1.2 and not it's native 1.4a support.
    zozman
  • Reply 13 of 36
    williamh said:
    I don't agree with Sog generally but I do think Cook is giving off a kind of Mr. Rogers vibe.  I'm going to like this new Macbook Pro but I don't really like this event.  It seems kind of amateurish.
    Tim is certainly not the centerpiece. His thoughtful style just doesn't fit. Updates are fine, but it drags. We came here to see the new shit, not other people's photos and media reviews the stuff from the last event. Move. On.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    sog35 said:
    eightzero said:
    williamh said:
    Tim is certainly not the centerpiece. His thoughtful style just doesn't fit. Updates are fine, but it drags. We came here to see the new shit, not other people's photos and media reviews the stuff from the last event. Move. On.
    That's what happens when you don't have much to show.

A new TV app and lighter/thinner macbook is not enough to do an event.

Tim Cook's Apple sucks
    Unless there's still more, I agree.  They're showing a bunch of stuff that might fascinate the people present, but not the public at large. (and truth be told, it's a lot of polite applause.)  It's boring.  Just tell me the price and when I can buy it.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 15 of 36
    The touch bar is great but doesn't it beg the question of when Apple will have a touch screen laptop?  I personally don't care much but for Microsoft and others it will be a marketing goldmine.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    I'm a bit tired of the silly music crap. Apple is becoming a huge monster for weird things.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    williamh said:

Unless there's still more, I agree.  They're showing a bunch of stuff that might fascinate the people present, but not the public at large. (and truth be told, it's a lot of polite applause.)  It's boring.  Just tell me the price and when I can buy it.

The ATV part was very much a home consumer thing. I kinda felt sorry for the twitter dudes. Wonder if they got their layoff notices this morning. And Twitter on the "big screen" is a fail. I want the game on the screen, not the other crap. Most people have a second screen of some sort for that. I'd acquiesce to a customizable ticker-tape at the bottom. And I really want to know if some of that stuff on ATV is gonna work with Channels and HDHomeRun. Seems like lots of potential, but I also smell "we aren't going to challenge the revenue models of cable providers."

The MacBookPro is a stunning professional level device. It is seemingly not a consumer device at all. It is stunning, but not for me, since I don't make content. If you do, across many disciplines, you gotta be getting huge wood.

But...they do need to get the events to be shorter.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Is it just me or anyone else thinks that touch bar is gimmicky? Pretty much all the things they demoed could be easily done with touch pad and on-screen controls with a better view angle.
    edited October 2016 pslice
  • Reply 19 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Sad to say but the Microsoft event was more exciting then this.

Surface Studio is fresh and eye opening.

What Cook showed today is stale and productive. 
    I didn't watch the MSFT event so can't speak to that.  I think what Apple's put up today is really very good.  My daughter is going to totally love the new MBP. I will order today if it is available to order today.

HOWEVER, Apple has a tendency to focus on things people don't really care about. They're making trade-offs that I wouldn't make.  Thinner or longer lasting battery?  What would you choose?  They chose thinner, I'd go with a better battery.  Thinner or tougher?  They chose thinner.  I'd go with tougher.   Thinner or less expensive?  they chose thinner.  I'd go with cheaper.  It doesn't matter that the 15" MBP is 14% thinner, especially where we're talking about like 3 millimeters.  Faster, stronger, cheaper, longer lasting, etc. people get more excited about.  They're droning on about apps I am not interested in. How much?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    The pricing is a bit painful.  Still a customer, but ouch!  The difference in price between the 13" and 15" is enough to buy a 15" windows laptop.
    edited October 2016