Apple announces thinner MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Touch ID, USB-C ports starting at $179...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    RAM still maxes out at 16GB?  That's disappointing.
    numenoreanpulseimagestallest skilbaconstangbigpicsargonautjasenj1jdwduervodysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 250
    Solid evolution of the MBP and looking forward... BUT!!! This is a "Pro" machine and they talk about doing serious creative work... in my case I easily use 30+GB with everything open... They could have offered a 32GB RAM upgrade... as a Pro making my living off of my machine I would have paid their insane RAM upgrade prices (with those margins) for it. Apple is more interested in their new "Pros".... Kardashians and Chinese fashionistas I guess
    numenoreanpulseimagesbaconstangjasenj1duervodysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 250
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    "I never thought I'd say this, but having experienced Steve's wrath about ``this is sh**! fix it!'' he would have tossed this one into the can and said, ``integrate it into the keyboard with hot swappable icons with custom command combinations, preload for apps ready, etc.''

Right. After all, who could possibly use things like the slider controls that the Touch Bar supports nicely? Better to limit yourself to only dynamically changing keys instead. (Maybe they'll come along in the future, too, which could be useful as an adjunct, not as a replacement, though.)

"So instead of being able to touch type and keep looking at the screen or looking at the screen and touching what I want, I now have to keep looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work? That seems very inefficient."

Look at the demos again. It's not either/or. The touchpad/screen functionality doesn't go away, nor do you have to use the touch bar if you don't want to.

Having used desktop touch displays, I know I have no interest in "looking at the screen and touching what I want", unless you're referring to to looking at the screen and using the trackpad to "touch". Which still works the way it currently does anyway.

As far as "looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work", when I'm using this laptop, the touch screen would be easily visible at the bottom of my visual field while looking at the screen.
    Deelronpscooter63ration al
  • Reply 24 of 250
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    brucemc said:

So instead of being able to touch type and keep looking at the screen or looking at the screen and touching what I want, I now have to keep looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work? That seems very inefficient

Would it not be better to try the feature out in a store and comment, rather than just assume that it will be bad?  Why does everyone have a negative bias to things they have not used, nor put much thought into?

I had a good laugh at all of the people to immediately panned the AirPods as being no good as they would not stay in their ears...although not a single soul had ever touched the product (since it wasn't available).
    Just like the negative comments about the Surface Studio yesterday? :smiley: 

With that being said, I got serious sticker shock at the 13-inch MBP with Touch Bar. I was with them until I saw $1799.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 250

I never thought I'd say this, but having experienced Steve's wrath about ``this is sh**! fix it!'' he would have tossed this one into the can and said, ``integrate it into the keyboard with hot swappable icons with custom command combinations, preload for apps ready, etc.''
    No he wouldn't because it's a crap idea. It's been tried before with the Optimus Keyboard and that hasn't really taken off. Namely because it's too expensive and it is frought with issues.

The Touch Bar actually makes a lot of sense and if it does fail it's not going to make the entire system useless.
    Having worked around the man, he would have. He would have paired down that strip to basic system functions and quick glimpse actions and extended the other functioning touch capabilities into the keyboard.

Three years from now, Apple will do just that.
    The problem with KB Shorcuts is that they are designed for Right Handed people or Lefties who use the mouse on the right.
    Despite 30+ years of using a KB+Mouse I can't use the rodent anywhere but on the left. I even prefer to use one with my laptop. Complicating the KB is IMHO the last thing I'd ever consider doing.
    As Apple highlighted Accessibility in the event, complicating the KB would in my mind make that worse.
    It remains to be seen how effective this toolbar is.

• Reply 26 of 250
    sog35 said:
    The Surface Studio is so much more exciting then this thinner Mac book.

boring.
    stale.
    Tim Cook.
    I'm certainly not an Apple kool-aid drinker but dude, get out of your Apple stock and go find some other company to obsess over.
    randominternetpersondoozydozenlondorbaconstangargonautjony0dysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 250
    sog35 said:

boring.
    stale.
    Tim Cook.

Like your comments, welcome to the block list.
    tmaybrucemcdoozydozenDeelronpscooter63londorbaconstangargonautjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 250
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 29 of 250
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Let me first say that I think touch screens on laptops and desktops are a bad idea.  This is because the it's 1) unergonomic 2) the hand blocks UI interface elements 3) screen smudges 4) different form factors needed to prevent the screen from moving when touched.

I think the Touch Bar looks great and seems to work well, but I couldn't help but thinking it looked pretty awkward when in use.  Like the Photoshop girl was like "it's fun to use this with two hands". But it still looked awkward.  Maybe it works better in real use.

I think Apple needed to have released or announced a 4K AppleTV as well as announce updates to the MacPro.  For instance, the MacPro needed to have upgraded to Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C ports and performance updates.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 250
    Well that was disappointing on pretty much every level...

Also sad to see the light up Apple logo go. 

Is this true?  Did they remove the cutout from the top of the laptop?
  • Reply 30 of 250
    sog35 said:

boring.
    stale.
    Tim Cook.
    Windows + springs = ROFL!
    doozydozenRayz2016baconstangjony0
  • Reply 32 of 250
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    redefiler said:

So instead of being able to touch type and keep looking at the screen or looking at the screen and touching what I want, I now have to keep looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work? That seems very inefficient

Pretty sure the screen and the top of the keyboard area on a laptop are well within the field of vision for everyone who doesn't have eyes on the sides of their head.  You'll even be fine with those 5" thick bifocals.
    While overall I think the Touch Bar will prove to be a useful feature, looking at the photos I was actually thinking it was too bad there was so much distance between the display and the Touch Bar, but it's probably the best you can do because you have to keep it within easy reach of your fingers on the keyboard.

Basically, Apple has just obsoleted the function key row. Considering that most people probably never used it for the function keys anyway (using it only for adjusting volume, display brightness, etc), this makes sense. I wonder how much bandwidth it requires and if this could be integrated into Apple's wireless keyboard?
    baconstangration al
  • Reply 33 of 250
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    this touch bar seems like a step backwards in usability. missing so many ports. overall disappointed that we waited 4 yrs for this upgrade. where's the significantly better battery life? the oled screen? and it has a processor that will be last gen in a couple months. and they want $1800 starting!!!
    jasenj1dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 250
    birkobirko Posts: 60member

For those of us who use it for work, I am sure it will integrate into our touch-typing routines pretty quickly. 
    ration aljony0
  • Reply 35 of 250

mac_128 said:
    tommychan said:
    Question : If all the USB ports can be a power connector can I speed up the charging by plugging in multiple chargers?

Well... I still prefer magsafe more
    And no Lightning port. So I expect we should start seeing some Lightning headphone to USB-C adapters soon?
    I agree.  I think they should have included a Lighting port which would allow any iOS hardware to work with a MacBook too.
    jasenj1
  • Reply 36 of 250
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    crowley said:
    RAM still maxes out at 16GB?  That's disappointing.
    It's less important than it used to be thanks to faster SSD speed - it can read and write at least 2 GB of data per second! 

edited October 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 37 of 250
    I miss the SD card slot.  Otherwise, the Touch Bar is great.
    netroxnumenoreanpulseimagesration alargonautjony0GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 250
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Tiny screen = no sale.

I wish someone would release OS X drivers for the Optimus video so I could just run OS X on a MSI PE70
  • Reply 39 of 250
    I have to admit that Microsoft had some pretty great looking products.  But really the Surface Studio isn't a huge technological advancement. Wacom screens have existed for years... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1192527&gclid=COfl86HT-88CFQsfhgodZacCeQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,116777138042,&is=REG&A=details

So really Microsoft took one and bolted it on to a computer and branded it.  Otherwise, I'm not seeing a whole lot of innovation there.

Apple does need to come out with it's own Cinema display, but it sounds like they are working with manufacturers to make 5K displays.
    sog35 said:

boring.
    stale.
    Tim Cook.
    tmaypscooter63baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 250
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    On the right side of the Touch Bar is a sapphire-covered power button with second-generation Touch ID fingerprint sensor, allowing users to login with just their fingerprint.
    Incredibly useful but oh-so-hard to discover.
    If you hadn't watched the video or received any instruction, it would be easy to miss it.
    Then again, it's right where the power button has been on all recent generations of MBP.
    Just without a logo of any kind on its keycap, and without the signature iPhone/iPad "home button ring."
    dysamoria