Apple announces thinner MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Touch ID, USB-C ports starting at $179...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 250
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hucom2000 said:
    I'm a mac user for - gosh - 22 years. I was prepared to be "underwhelmed", instead I find myself utterly disappointed.

Not because the MacBook Pro isn't a great evolutionary machine (I already ordered one), but because it's the ONLY announcement. Seriously, Apple? SERIOUSLY? After all this time of not giving your former core business any loving, THIS is it??

What happened to making the best products? Make it outstanding, or don't make it? Not updating products for year just so obviously lacks dedication and determination to be the best. They just go where the money is. That's not a good strategy. They should take care of their ecosystem, keep niche products alive.

And what pisses me off most of all, is that Apple could EASILY AFFORD to keep their "hobby products" (is that what the Mac is these days?) current. It wouldn't hurt them! They could do it. So I really don't understand it. I'm so f**** frustrated with them. *Sorry*
    Sans the ranting, I mostly agree. This could have been released without an event and would have saved us endless pages of Sog's cerebral flatulence. 

Having said that, it's time to melt a credit card :-D
    edited October 2016 jahajanumenoreanlondorpscooter63baconstangargonautwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 82 of 250
    TWATWA Posts: 4member
    I'm selling my Apple stock. Way overpriced, form over function.
    Bernie de Kokdysamoria
  • Reply 83 of 250
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    sog35 said:

Apple has priced themselves out of any non pro market. With a base price of $1800 up through $4300 for a non upgradeable machine with a max of 16GB of RAM is a little nuts. I get the high end and not racing to the low end, but they always had a decent machine in the $1000 range at the base. Now all they have is the years old MacBook Air. Nothing new. Nothing you can ever upgrade and prices beyond the reach of many of their base. 

Add in all new ports which means you can't even plug in your brand new iPhone 7 or the headphones that comes with it without dongles. 

Welcome to Tim Cook's Apple.

Overly concerned about margins and profits.
    STFU sog.  We're all tired of your whining and hissy fits. You hate Apple this much, sell whatever fictional stocks you supposedly have and load up on MSFT.  Whatever you do, just leave.  
    jahajapscooter63Deelronwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacdysamoria
  • Reply 84 of 250
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I'm beyond Disappointed. Welcome to the digital dark ages. :(  
    lenny491Bernie de Kokdysamoriapte apple
  • Reply 85 of 250
    TWATWA Posts: 4member
    I'll keep my old Macbook Pro that doesn't need 14 adapter cables hanging off of it. All that wasted time waiting for an update for this crap.
    lenny491Bernie de Kokdysamoria
  • Reply 86 of 250
    But... but... but... The escape key is gone and consumers are in an uproar. First the standard headphone jack and now the beloved escape key. Why, Apple, why?! Waaaaaaahhhh. It's rather weird how changes make people go bonkers before they even get a product in their hands. I guess it has something to do with mind tricks. Maybe they see themselves being replaced or something.

This touch bar seems like a great way of expanding the size of a keyboard with extra keys. I guess it's because I rarely used the physical escape key that I don't care if it's gone. The escape key can be programmed in OSX to another physical key if it's that necessary. I honestly don't see what the big deal is but the internet is really going hate-crazy over one missing key.
    edited October 2016 jahajaargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 250
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Mac mini update? Mac Pro update?
    <crickets>
    jibberjargonautBernie de Kokdysamoria
  • Reply 88 of 250
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    The Touch Bar looks really cool. It was nice seeing it in action. I'm pretty disappointed Apple removed the SD card slot and HDMI port. 
    numenoreanmacseekerpscooter63baconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 89 of 250
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I never thought I'd say this, but having experienced Steve's wrath about ``this is sh**! fix it!'' he would have tossed this one into the can and said, ``integrate it into the keyboard with hot swappable icons with custom command combinations, preload for apps ready, etc.''
    No he wouldn't because it's a crap idea. It's been tried before with the Optimus Keyboard and that hasn't really taken off. Namely because it's too expensive and it is frought with issues.

The Touch Bar actually makes a lot of sense and if it does fail it's not going to make the entire system useless.
    Having worked around the man, he wo
    You knew Steve Jobs?? That's incredible! If I were you I'd drop that into conversation at every available opportunity!

He almost does. And he's wrong this time to use Steve as a prop to his dislike of something he didn't think of.

That's not fair for me to say, of course, but neither is he being fair to Steve Jobs or the people who ARE STILL WORKING AT APPLE.
    pscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 90 of 250
    redefiler said:

redefiler said:

So instead of being able to touch type and keep looking at the screen or looking at the screen and touching what I want, I now have to keep looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work? That seems very inefficient

Pretty sure the screen and the top of the keyboard area on a laptop are well within the field of vision for everyone who doesn't have eyes on the sides of their head.  You'll even be fine with those 5" thick bifocals.

Maybe, but without any tactile feedback or set positioning of the icons I can see this being difficult to work with.  I use a work laptop every day and you still have look down at the top of the keyboard to s that area. Have to wait and see. 

I'm pretty sure exactly 3 people in the world can use their function keys without looking.
    I'm going to make a huge bet that you currently have to bird dog that F6 too.

Having customizable area for shortcuts and other secondary function keys saves precious screen real estate, more space for content.  Huge for pro apps.  

Bummed there wasn't an external keyboard to go along with it, but suspect that will come as more apps get hip to the touchbar.
    I'm looking forward to upgrading to this MacBook more than any in a long while. But I do have to say as an editor I already do touch type the function keys, but I use them day in/ day out for MY programmed functions. Fairly unique use case but not way out of line with other uses. When I work in 3D they are useful too and again you just get used to them being there. Second nature. As much as I'd like to think I was one of three people in the world who could do something (even just fancy typing) I doubt I am. ;)

The touch bar will be a more versatile version of the same function and a bunch of other functions can be used as well. Looks awesome. Win win.

A little off topic... I would hope to see similar functions come to a pro line of keyboards and mouse for desktops. Apple mice have generally always been terrible, so there's an opportunity to see a better upgrade. Even the Magic Mouse with it's slick features has terrible ergonomics. I used it for a long time, but never could get over how uncomfortable it was for editing. Would be nice to see Apple finally focus on mouse ergonomics for once. It's not like they don't ever consider it in other products. 
    numenoreanration al
  • Reply 91 of 250
    hucom2000 said:
    I'm a mac user for - gosh - 22 years. I was prepared to be "underwhelmed", instead I find myself utterly disappointed.

Not because the MacBook Pro isn't a great evolutionary machine (I already ordered one), but because it's the ONLY announcement. Seriously, Apple? SERIOUSLY? After all this time of not giving your former core business any loving, THIS is it??

What happened to making the best products? Make it outstanding, or don't make it? Not updating products for year just so obviously lacks dedication and determination to be the best. They just go where the money is. That's not a good strategy. They should take care of their ecosystem, keep niche products alive.

And what pisses me off most of all, is that Apple could EASILY AFFORD to keep their "hobby products" (is that what the Mac is these days?) current. It wouldn't hurt them! They could do it. So I really don't understand it. I'm so f**** frustrated with them. *Sorry*
    I mostly agree -- but I'm not in the market for a MB.  I want a an iMac with the ability to attach an  iPad Pro for Touch and Pencil UI.

Apparently, we'll have to wait for new iMacs and iPad Pros.

While it was interesting, IMO, there wasn't enough meat to justify an event!

As an AAPL share-holder, I am disappointed!

Bernie de Kokdysamoria
  • Reply 92 of 250
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I see Touch ID being the biggest reason for this update. Eventually it will replace username and password on the web which will be an end game move on the competition. Remembering usernames and passwords on websites, resetting them, having accounts compromised by software capturing key strokes or fishing scams are BY FAR the largest complaint/problem/annoyance the average computer user has. Solve this pain point few people would even look at another platform. 
    I'm actually surprised to see it this soon after Watch unlock feature came available. I would have expected Apple to try and sell a few more Watches to Mac customers looking for that convenience before they just include it on the Mac itself.
  • Reply 93 of 250
    I thought I would never say this, it was "Meh!" The Microsoft Surface Pro with the Dial thing looked very good!

Apple - Yes, you do make great quality products! Yes, you have build a great eco system, which I am afraid you are not getting as much use of it as possible! Yes, your technological advances in iPhone and Watch are great! But, over all you are missing on many good things you can do.

• The "TV Now" app is okay - We really need a cord cutter service. One of the reason I got your Apple TV device.
    • I really hope that 10th Anniversary iPhone is a real game changer and not just all glass device
    • You do need to play the content game - like it or not
    • Augmented Reality is must
    • You need to push the HomeKit - Work with all the third party providers to create devices that works nicely to get more people into Apple ecosystem.
    • I do hope Apple Car is in the future
  • Reply 94 of 250

• software UI to allow the iPad Pro to be used as touch input to the iMac -- including Apple Pencil
    • pro apps (FCP, Logic, Xcode, etc) that run on the iMac and the iPad
    • handoff both ways between the iMac and the iPad Pro

That would bring all the advantages of Touch UI to the iMmac without any of the disadvantages, and allow the iPad Pro, standalone, to do pro apps.

...Best of both worlds? 

AstroPad allows you to use your iPad Pro and Pencil as if it was your Mac from anywhere in your house and with little lag. Duet allows you to use your iPad Pro as a second display on your Mac using your TrackPad/Mouse/or Touch. It's as close as you're going to get for now, and they work quite well (I use them daily on my 12 inch iPad and Pencil). :)
    pscooter63ration alargonaut
  • Reply 95 of 250
    gumbi said:
    I see Touch ID being the biggest reason for this update. Eventually it will replace username and password on the web which will be an end game move on the competition. Remembering usernames and passwords on websites, resetting them, having accounts compromised by software capturing key strokes or fishing scams are BY FAR the largest complaint/problem/annoyance the average computer user has. Solve this pain point few people would even look at another platform. 

See "Windows Hello".  MS has already got this covered.
    Covered so well I've never even heard of it before you mentioned it. Just from a cursory web search it looks like a technology that will go nowhere and even if it did it would still be riddled with the same fundamental security problems that come with using a computer who's OS is a Frankenstein's monster type amalgamation of shitty bolted on code. Not trying to be a jerk here, I spend many years of my life dealing with peoples Windows/PC problems both personally and professionally. Now that my friends and family all have macs I get called maybe once a year; not with a "my computer is broken/not working" type question but a hey "I want to store some photo's on an external disk drive, since there is not an Apple branded one which one should I get".
    pscooter63baconstangration alargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 250
    BTW, AAPL stock indicates the market was iot too impressed with today's preso.

Microsoft was down yesterday and is also down today. I'm guessing this is not really about product announcements. Though with Apple sentiment is so shitty who knows. If my Twitter feed is any indication we're back to 2013 when people were calling for the board to fire Tim Cook.
    Microsoft already took a healthy jump on earnings, so most likely some shareholders are profit-taking.  If you take the time to compare share gains between the two over the last 52 weeks you can easily see Microsoft is gob-smacking Apple quite handily.

I guess it doesn't seem odd to you that each time Apple introduces a new product or new service the stock takes a dive.  Does that make any sense at all?  If a product was good, shouldn't that boost the value?  If Elon Musk put a new logo on the Tesla the stock would jump 5%.  There really does seem to be something wrong with Apple but whatever it is seems to be completely overlooked by Apple bulls which are now in the minority.  Big investors want results and Apple doesn't seem to be able to produce that.  It's a known fact Tim Cook is despised by Wall Street for being a wimp of a CEO.  Apple, a company sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars in reserve cash isn't doing much better than a tech company sitting on tens of billions of dollars and it just seems strange.  I'm a long-term shareholder and I can't figure out the company's direction except to try to sell more iPhones into a totally saturated Android smartphone market.  I just don't get it.  Why neglect Mac desktops?  Make them great and I'm sure consumers will buy them.
  • Reply 97 of 250
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

So instead of being able to touch type and keep looking at the screen or looking at the screen and touching what I want, I now have to keep looking down at the thin touch strip on the keyboard to work? That seems very inefficient

You don't have to shit. You don't have to buy this Mac (or any Apple product) and you don't have to use this wonderful new feature when using your currrent apps. If you want to use Adobe with large overlays that need to be moved as it block out what you're editing then you are free to continue doing so.
    pscooter63ration al
  • Reply 98 of 250
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What a brilliant update to the Mac notebook line and an excellent demo for Touch Bar.
    pscooter63ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 250
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    crowley said:
    It looks like Apple are keeping around an older and cheaper 13" and an older 15", according to the comparison page on apple.com.  Not really sure who's going to buy those.
    Depending on price and what options are available, perhaps me. I like nearly everything about the new MBP but I'm simply not ready to live in a world of dongles. My current MBP has a little life in it still so I'm not desperate for an upgrade. If this new one had had just one USB Type A port I likely would have upgraded now rather than wait a bit a bit longer. If the older model is still available and at a good discounted price I may consider it.

Edit: scratch that...the older model is still available, but hardly any discount and only the model without the discrete graphics.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 100 of 250
    Did they explain why the 2.9GHz 13" MacBookPro with Touch Bar is only available with a 250GB SSD? Even the 2.0GHz 13" MBP without the Touch Bar is available up to 1TB. I didn't see anything in the keynote that explained this apparent oversight, and I hope it is just a temporary situation. 

I thought it so odd, I even tried tweeting Tim Cook about it: 
    https://twitter.com/darkpath0010/status/791733232131796992
    GeorgeBMac