Apple debuts affordable 13" MacBook Pro model, axes 11" MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    Hmmm... A MBP that's over 500$ more expensive than the Air, AND which they also functionally crippled, by getting rid of all the old ports/connections?

And what's the upside here? Instead you get 2 (useless) USB C ports, except one of them also has to be used for charging? 

LOL! I think I'll pass, and so will most other customers. Wake me up when you make a laptop, Apple, instead of a crippled, 1 port, glorified iPad...
    AI_liasentropysbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Removing the SD card slot is worse than removing the analog headset jack. Does anyone even sell a USB C SD card adapter? All the new dongles you'll need probably weigh a half pound.
    To be fair if you've got a new MBP and DSLR with you you could lob a USBc—SD Card reader in too. It is annoying though. I wonder if a WiFi enabled SD Card is a good idea? It may not be I'm only curious.
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Man, I must be a poor.  $1499 for a laptop doesn't sound like an "affordable" entry level figure to me at all.
    jahajaAI_liasentropysVSzulcsingularity
  • Reply 24 of 83
    Affordable?

Who exactly are Apple trying to kid eh?

And only 16gb of Ram (apparently), the 'Pro' is about as 'Pro' as Windows 10 - Pro.

you missed a real trick here. And you basically consigned the iMac, MacMini and MacPro to history.

entropysbaconstangjahajasingularitydoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 83
    not sure what purpose the MacBook Air fills. Its heavier than the MacBook, which has Retina display and more power.. whats so air about the Air?
  • Reply 26 of 83
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Removing the SD card slot is worse than removing the analog headset jack. Does anyone even sell a USB C SD card adapter? All the new dongles you'll need probably weigh a half pound.
    There will be a half dozen available by the time your machine arrives. 
    jahajaai46
  • Reply 27 of 83
    not sure what purpose the MacBook Air fills. Its heavier than the MacBook, which has Retina display and more power.. whats so air about the Air? Apple should just kill it (or upgrade it).
  • Reply 28 of 83
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    jahaja said:
    Id say the only thing wrong with all the new models are the prices. It is just too steep, especially when topping up configurations in terms of memory and SSD. And no 2 TB option for the 13 inches.
    I totally agree.  The new models are great.  I'd just expect them to start at at less than 300% the price of a half-decent Windows laptop.  For merely twice as much, I would have been ecstatic. Honestly, $1300-$1400 would be much more reasonable for the starter machine with Touch Bar.  $180 to go from 8gb to 16gb? FFS!! $300 to go from 256gb to 512gb? This is what we get after waiting forever for an update?  I'm going to have to look again at the Macbook, but concerned about the sucky CPU.
    jahajabaconstang
  • Reply 29 of 83
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Man, I must be a poor.  $1499 for a laptop doesn't sound like an "affordable" entry level figure to me at all.

Go ahead and price an exact Windows laptop, constructed with the same materials and exact specs - and I mean EXACT specs - and you'll find them as expensive if not more expensive than an Apple laptop.  

Amazing how much this stale propaganda continues to be recycled.
    lowededwookieai46
  • Reply 30 of 83
    "Affordable"???!!! It starts at $1499:

try $200 more than the last base MBP 13" ($1299)
    $500 more than 13" MBA ($999)
    $600 more than the now-discontinued 11" MBA ($899)

no, not affordable.

reality: Apple raised prices on all new MacBook Pro models. (And has yet to discontinue the old models.)

In fact, the entry price for the touch bar & touch ID models w/4 TB3 ports (instead of only 2 on the $1499 model) is $1799...$200 less than previous 15" MBP. (?!?)

However, you can now get (for a limited time) refurb. 11" MBA for $749 http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/11
    edited October 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 83
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    gbanks97 said:
    not sure what purpose the MacBook Air fills. Its heavier than the MacBook, which has Retina display and more power.. whats so air about the Air? Apple should just kill it (or upgrade it).
    The purpose of this laptop is to justify the MacBook. 
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Where's the power button?
    I need to turn it off because it froze.

Now we need to spend another $400 in adapters to use all the USB thumb drives we've got.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 83
    I don't have a problem with the move to USB-C ports, they are actually multi-functional, including moving power in both directions. Here's a cool dock for USB-C Macs: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock
    jahajalowededwookiekodakmoment
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Ouch. This new Apple lineup is way too rich for me now. Entry level MBP is $1899 CDN, for what seems to be an afterthought of a computer. Seems like its purpose is to push you to the upgraded Touch Bar versions. To get the Touch Bar, it goes to $2299. Before today, those were 15" MBP prices. Yeah, I get it's new with a new design and specs. but wow. Even the base model MacBook is $1649. Pretty tough to get into a Mac these days, unless you want an old or used one first.
    baconstangjahajarandominternetperson
  • Reply 35 of 83
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    nicklusk said:
    They should have done two old connectors and two new connectors like they used to. 

I don't own a single thing with USB-C connector. And I have tons of gear. 

Hell, the iPhone can't even connect to the computer anymore. 

This is a thinner more powerful macbook air.

It's not a macbook pro. 

Bummed...

No Lightning port either, and no Lightning to USB-C (or anything else) headphone adapters on the horizon either.

Not sure why they didn't just ax the magsafe port on the MacBook Air and include a standard USB-C 3.1 port. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 36 of 83
    To call this marginally souped up MacBookAir an affordable MacBookPro is hard to swallow.
    That's a price hike of 50% to the MacBookAir it replaces.
    That doesn't bode well for my planned replacement of my aging MacMini. If Apple does this to the products it seemed to like, what are they going to do to those the seem to hate already?
    edited October 2016 jahajabaconstangentropys
  • Reply 37 of 83
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    People were whining that there were no macs with USBc ports in them, now they are whining that they have to buy adapters for their OLD USB ports?  

Apple just can't win.

This is a solid laptop with solid specs.  Within a year, this laptop will get Samsunged by everyone else and it will be the norm.  Watch.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 83
    jwestveer said:
    Seven years after the first touch screen laptop came out, and Apple finally has.......a touch bar???
    And for twenty plus years we've had scientific studies that prove touch screens on laptops and desktops cause RSI and other health problems.

But remind us how touch screens are so awesome.

They work on tablets and phones because they are not fixed devices. They don't work on laptops which are actually fixed devices because the screen is fixed. They certainly don't work on desktops.

Swivel laptops are horrendous to use and remove the benefits of a laptop.

There is a reason why Apple hasn't released a touchscreen iMac or MacBook... they simply suck and cannot be made better.

The Touch Bar is actually an elegant solution to the problem and when used correctly will be far more efficient than current workflows.
    jahajabaconstangai46macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Wow! That is affordable? The prices are just incredible. I don't think most people can justify this kind of expense for a laptop. I certainly can't.  They've completely price themselves out of the range of 99% of the population. The MacBooks are a joke and the Pros are computers for the 1%. Just like the iPad pros, they have gotten way too expensive. iPads used to be affordable for everyone. There used to be at least a couple of Macs I could afford. I guess I'm gonna have to learn to live with Windows 10. I use it at work. It isn't so bad I guess. Apple has completely done away with their entry and mid level computers and gone super ultra high premium. For the first time in 35 years I will have to be a Windows user. Too bad. I'm a little sad to say goodbye to the community. It's been nice being one of you.

One of the faithful now apparently too poor for Apple to bother with.  
    Total cost of ownership will be higher than MBP if you go buy a windows computer. You will probably end up buying two Windows computers to last as long as a MBP
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 83
    ireland said:

A lot of naysayers here who don't really seem to understand what Apple are aiming for.

So the new model doesn't suit your needs. Guess what? The new model isn't aimed at you.
    Stop, will you. And when they kill the MBA and have no computer with MagSafe priced like the Air with 12 hours of battery life is your argument going to be that Apple makes no laptops aimed at me?
    Well that's bully for you.

Is the only reason none of these models not suited to you because they don't have a MagSafe connector?

Wow, it doesn't take much to please you. The MBA was replaced by the MacBook. You've said NOTHING about other ports so you're clearly not worried about them so you're simply after a MagSafe and 12+ hours battery life. Aside from the MagSafe there IS a model for you and that's the MacBook.

The MagSafe was a nice feature but frankly it's a gimmick. USB-C solves all sorts of issues but you're hung up on old technology. Bully for you.
    ai46macplusplus