Apple brings about the end of the physical Function key with MacBook Pro Touch Bar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Yeah, demonstrations of the Touch Bar were very impressive. These are the types of things Apple does best - bringing a new level of interaction to their devices. I hope they eventually bring the Touch Bar to the Magic Keyboard. I wouldn't think twice about buying one.
    magman1979
  • Reply 22 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    icoco3 said:
    The Lenovo Carbon lost the physical function keys a couple years ago and added an adaptive touch bar across the top.  Not as nice as Apples but they were there before Apple.
    I believe you but I can't seem to find it.

edit: 
    edited October 2016 logic2.6
  • Reply 23 of 47
    The 13-inch with Touch Bar does not let you equip it with anything larger than 256 GB of SSD. What?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    I expected a One More Thing: A Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar. For al those iMac, Mac Pro and docked MB users.
    I hope so, but I wonder how that will work since the keyboard's Touch Bar will need a GPU, may not be reponsive enough with Bluetooth, may need a much bigger battery for the power, and may be a security issue if we expect them to include Touch ID and Apple Pay.

All of this will cost more money than the current BT keyboard. I think the announcement of the T1 chip make it more likely, but I think there are still too many unknowns. Plus, it probably needs to come with new desktop Macs. Would this Touch Bar be made to work with an iDevice or Apple TV when paired?
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    tokyojimu said:
    The 13-inch with Touch Bar does not let you equip it with anything larger than 256 GB of SSD. What?
    http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

The 13-inch starting at $1999 comes with 8GB/512GB

Soli
  • Reply 26 of 47
    afrodri said:
    tokyojimu said:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

The 13-inch starting at $1999 comes with 8GB/512GB
    And lets you configure it up to 1TB.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    mjtomlin said:
    Yeah, demonstrations of the Touch Bar were very impressive. These are the types of things Apple does best - bringing a new level of interaction to their devices. I hope they eventually bring the Touch Bar to the Magic Keyboard. I wouldn't think twice about buying one.
    I usually hate the demos, but showing how the new HW will work with full screen apps (which I want to use but don't) was great. Having APIs for Xcode, having an Adobe demo, and a statement that MS Office support this quickly for new HW is kind of amazing.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I saw a lot of redundancy with the touch bar. One example was to bold your text in mail. But using af touch bar for this where you have to remove your gaze from the screen to locate the bold-icon in the touch bar is inferior to using cmd-b on the keyboard. A lot of the touch bar functions seemed like this. But I guess this is the way it goes. Computers for the masses not for power users. I really hope I'll be proved wrong, I just don't see this as a step forward.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Soli said:
    icoco3 said:
    The Lenovo Carbon lost the physical function keys a couple years ago and added an adaptive touch bar across the top.  Not as nice as Apples but they were there before Apple.
    I believe you but I can't seem to find it.
    We have them at work...here is a demo of the Adaptive Keys:

Looks like the current model dropped it and is back to physical keys.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 47
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am loving the finegrain control the Touch Bar gives us.

And that humongous Trackpad is screaming for a pencil.

>:x <3
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    netrox said:
    RAM is not as important as you think it is. The SSD is so fast, it can do a lot of RAM-like performance when RAM is short. The Mac memory management takes everything into consideration. When Intel comes out with its 3DXPoint storage, the RAM demands will dramatically drop as well because it would be just as fast as RAM.
    Actually, it does matter. I have an SSD as my primary drive, and when I only had 24GB, my machine would slow to a crawl when I pushed it hard. Upgrading to 48 GB solved the problem. (I'm not using the whole 48, more like 36 GB of it.)
    sorry dude.

This is Tim Cooks Apple. Totally focused on maximizing margins and profits.

You are one of a few thousand who actually need 48GB of RAM.  Cook won't be lowering margins and profits to satisfy a tiny portion of the user base.

Apple is all about catering to the masses now. 
    When it really should be catering to Sog's portfolio. 
    watto_cobraiosenthusiast
  • Reply 32 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    icoco3 said:
    It's still physical keys, but instead of 1 row, Lenovo made 3 rows and you have to press the function key to switch between rows, and these functions are fixed...nah, it's not the same as Apple Touch Bar which is a dynamic LED screen to add functions depending on each app ...from now and future.

edited October 2016 tmaymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 47
    mike1 said:
    icoco3 said:
    And yet, not too many people seem to have ever heard of it. It's not about being first. It's about being better. Ask Samsung.
    No it's not the first. Lenovo function keys are still physical keys with 3 rows.
    tmaymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 47
    fallenjt said:
    icoco3 said:
    It's still physical keys, but instead of 1 row, Lenovo made 3 rows and you have to press the function key to switch between rows, and these functions are fixed...nah, it's not the same as Apple Touch Bar which is a dynamic LED screen to add functions depending on each apps from now and future.

The video I posted shows the Carbon's adaptive keys as being anythng but fast and smooth but we'll going to get trolls going through the stages of anti-Apple innovation phobia:

1. "This is stupid. No one needs this and it makes no sense. This is solution searching for a problem."
    2. "Apple wasn't the first. They stole this idea like they steal everything else."
    3. "Everyone is using a display strip on their keyboards because it was an obvious feature. Apple didn't think of anything original."
    edited October 2016 tmaymagman1979ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 47
    flaneur said:
     sog35 said:
    So we needed a whole event for a simple gimmick on a keyboard and new TV app?

This is Tim Cook's Apple.

Spent more time on Social issues and sharing pictures than innovative products.

I'm SICK of Cook wasting valuable time on social issues. Dude needs to resign and be the CEO of Red Cross.
    Sog, you are absolutely right. You ARE sick. You're textbook ADD, hyperactive, and too low-brow to understand what we all saw together today.

What we saw was the introduction of a new user interface that will revolutionize the way professionals use computers. They just obsolesced the desktop and you didn't even notice. The hand is quicker than the eye Sog, and your eyes are tied to a brain that does not see things coming, only flashy little distractions from the tidepool of crap that flows around you. You really ought to shut up, like everyone but a few fellow magpie-brains are telling you here.
    Sog expected a folding iPhone which is absolutely gimmicky. He starts having the mind of Fandroids...all about gimmicks and specs.
    edited October 2016 Solimagman1979watto_cobraiosenthusiast
  • Reply 36 of 47
    I expected a One More Thing: A Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar. For al those iMac, Mac Pro and docked MB users.
    I expect a One More Thing that: Magic Display, a touch screen monitor which you can dock the iPad Pro to just fucking kill the Surface Studio from MS.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    The touch bar looks nice for displaying info, like song titles, contextual buttons, or maybe some notifications but most of the use cases showed today, like DJing and photo editing, would be better suited to a full touch screen
    logic2.6
  • Reply 38 of 47
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Soli said:
    fallenjt said:
    icoco3 said:
    It's still physical keys, but instead of 1 row, Lenovo made 3 rows and you have to press the function key to switch between rows, and these functions are fixed...nah, it's not the same as Apple Touch Bar which is a dynamic LED screen to add functions depending on each apps from now and future.

The video I posted shows the Carbon's adaptive keys as being anythng but fast and smooth but we'll going to get trolls going through the stages of anti-Apple innovation phobia:

1. "This is stupid. No one needs this and it makes no sense. This is solution searching for a problem."
    2. "Apple wasn't the first. They stole this idea like they steal everything else."
    3. "Everyone is using a display strip on their keyboards because it was an obvious feature. Apple didn't think of anything original."

Microsoft research was experimenting with this back in 2010:

• Reply 39 of 47
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    fallenjt said:
    icoco3 said:
    It's still physical keys, but instead of 1 row, Lenovo made 3 rows and you have to press the function key to switch between rows, and these functions are fixed...nah, it's not the same as Apple Touch Bar which is a dynamic LED screen to add functions depending on each app ...from now and future.

I believe they changed them back because no one liked the adaptive keys.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    flaneur said:
    icoco3 said:
    .Hats off to Lenovo, then.

As demonstrated today, it's as significant a user interface breakthrough as the mouse and the finger, neither of which Apple invented either.

It's all in the execution, including the software and the integration with developers. Let's hope Lenovo and the other PC makers can keep up.
    Well, about the mouse. Xerox was the first who used the mouse. Which cost back then $400 (it's equal to $1150 today). Apple's mouse costed $25 instead of $400. So I don't care who invents it, I care if I can find it useful and valuable for me.
    watto_cobra