Apple partners with LG to make new 4K & 5K UltraFine Displays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
Briefly mentioned during Thursday's press event was an Apple partnership with LG on 4K and 5K monitors, designed with the specifications of its new MacBook Pros in mind.

The UltraFine 5K Display.
The UltraFine 5K Display.

The LG UltraFine 5K Display measures 27 inches, and supports resolutions up to 5120 by 2880, as well as the P3 "wide color" gamut. Perhaps almost as important is its use of Thunderbolt 3, which can power both the monitor and a MacBook Pro via a single cable.

Also present though are three USB-C ports on the back, meant for hooking up other devices and accessories. Stereo speakers, a microphone, and a camera are built in.

The Ultrafine 4K.
The Ultrafine 4K.

The 4K monitor scales back to 21.5 inches, with a top resolution of 4096 by 2304, but retains P3 color. It can connect to a Mac using a lone USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 cable, but only provides 60 watts of charging power versus the 5K Display's 85 watts.

Three downstream USB-C ports are present for accessories and devices, which may be necessary as the only extras built in are stereo speakers.

The Ultrafine 4K Display can be ordered today for $699.95, but will only ship in 5 to 6 weeks. The 5K Display will go on sale in December for $1,299.95.

To grab the lowest prices on Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, as well as popular monitors, see AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide.
doozydozen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I wish they had their own cinema displays.  They always looked great and worked great.
    alphafoxjibberjdreyfus2blastdoormagman1979doozydozenlolliverargonautdysamoriamr o
  • Reply 2 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Uh oh, 27 inches is one inch less than the new Microsoft 28 inch all-in-one. Apple loses the spec war... again. /s
    mike1tmaybaconstangnolamacguysockrolidthewhitefalcondoozydozenlolliverSpamSandwichargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Ill stick with my 27" Apple Cinema Display, thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Didn't they do this before and then later introduced their own dispalys. I'm not saying it's likely but I wouldn't be surprised they do that once the Mac mini and Mac Pro are updated along with the next iMac. Hopefully we'll also see new AirPort devices with 802.11ad (which means those Macs would have support) and a wireless keyboard with a Touch Bar and the T1 chip for Touch ID and Apple Pay (the latter two I think could be tricky from a security PoV).
    schlacktheunfetteredminddoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Kinda pricey. Cost will have to come down before I buy one.
    schlackdysamoriabirko
  • Reply 6 of 33
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    $1,300 seems super high, considering you can get an 5K iMac with an entire computer inside of it for $1650 (@ B&H) that allows you to use its screen in pass through mode when connected to a laptop.
    baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 33
    schlack said:
    $1,300 seems super high, considering you can get an 5K iMac with an entire computer inside of it for $1650 (@ B&H) that allows you to use its screen in pass through mode when connected to a laptop.
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can't be used as Target Display Mode displays.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Edit: But I agree that $1,300 is high, considering (as you mentioned), that you can get a whole computer for not too much more.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    Didn't they do this before and then later introduced their own dispalys. I'm not saying it's likely but I wouldn't be surprised they do that once the Mac mini and Mac Pro are updated along with the next iMac. Hopefully we'll also see new AirPort devices with 802.11ad (which means those Macs would have support) and a wireless keyboard with a Touch Bar and the T1 chip for Touch ID and Apple Pay (the latter two I think could be tricky from a security PoV).
    We're hoping they will update the Mac Pro, or come out with an entirely new model. I'm really inching for one. But I'm also preparing myself for no new one. If not, then I hope new iMacs will include this new keyboard and Touch ID. I don't know if they can do that with a removable keyboard.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 33

mackymoto said:
    Kinda pricey. Cost will have to come down before I buy one.
    The display isn't pricy at all. In fact, both are pretty cheap. The question is whether, at these low prices, the screens are really good. By that, I mean even brightness across the screen without hot spots, etc. Dell has a new one that costs more, but the screen isn't even enough for good graphics or photo work.
    kodakmomentpscooter63dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 33

schlack said:
    Jeez! The prices aren't high. These are separate monitors. Those will always cost more. They won't sell more than a small percentage of the iMacs' sales.

you guys should look at other graphics monitors. They're all more expensive than these, by several hundred bucks. Some by a lot more.
    magman1979rezwitspscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Robert DornRobert Dorn Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Would have been a great designed product as the outcome of a partnership between LG and microsoft or dell. shame on you Apple. Ugliness to the bone.
    wozwozwlym
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Wow that LG display is so UGLY. I wonder if Apple is done being in the dedicated monitor business? I honestly wouldn't be able to stomach looking at the LG monitor for long periods of time, but fortunately I'm not in the market for that sort of thing. For those who are I hope there's a better looking option than this, although the tech specs sound great for the LG. 
    wozwozwlym
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Soli said:
    I wish I still had your faith after these recent years

No thanks to this. Lets have a really nice machine and look at an LG logo. Thanks Apple

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Mini disappears from the store and the Mac Pro is removed with a useless page on apple.com showing how you can use an iMac or a MacBook Pro Touch to do the same thing.

They don't care about the Mac, professional, IT or anything like that anymore. That all died in 09
    edited October 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

No thanks to this. Lets have a really nice machine and look at an LG logo. Thanks Apple
    It's not a stunnng design but edges on modern displays are pretty damn small these days and I honestly couldn't care less about a logo as I will never be looking at it.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Mini disappears from the store and the Mac Pro is removed with a useless page on apple.com showing how you can use an iMac or a MacBook Pro Touch to do the same thing.
    The Mac mini has been on the chopping block more times than I can remember. AI used to do article after artcle about its impending death. It's been around since the PPC days and I would expect it to continue on. I'm hoping that Apple will open up a new low-end "PC" market that runs macOS on their incredible ARM designs. They can save an incredible amount on Intel chips without losing performance and being able to keep their profit margins while hitting a whole new level of customers that aren't going to pay 4-figures for a machine.

They don't care about the Mac, professional, IT or anything like that anymore. That all died in 09

For me, as a professional, the Mac just got better. I can't wait to test out USB-C charging in my vehicle. I already ordered extra cables so I can test via multiple USB-C ports. If you use Adobe I'd think today's demo would be exciting.

fastasleeplolliverpscooter63argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Now Apple take those fancy LG Panels wrap them in Aluminium joy leave the stand off and use that new T1 chip as a touch controller and make a new cinema display with Touch and Pencil support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    What a dog!

I love my 27" LED Cinema Display, excellent quality, beautiful design, nothing else like it on the market. 

Too bad Apple has given up on the Mac :(
    wozwoz
  • Reply 17 of 33
    tyler82 said:
    Too bad Apple has given up on the Mac :(
    You saw the ones they released today, right?
    magman1979tdknoxlolliverargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Enviro G said:
    Wow that LG display is so UGLY. I wonder if Apple is done being in the dedicated monitor business? I honestly wouldn't be able to stomach looking at the LG monitor for long periods of time, but fortunately I'm not in the market for that sort of thing. For those who are I hope there's a better looking option than this, although the tech specs sound great for the LG. 
    I'm sure you can buy really small  stickers somewhere.  To cover up that LG logo.
    (The stickers supplied with all Apple computers and mobile devices are probably too big for that bezel.)
    lolliverargonaut
  • Reply 19 of 33
    melgross said:

schlack said:
    Jeez! The prices aren't high. These are separate monitors. Those will always cost more. They won't sell more than a small percentage of the iMacs' sales.

you guys should look at other graphics monitors. They're all more expensive than these, by several hundred bucks. Some by a lot more.
    I agree NEC and Eizo are in the same price point. The support for a 60hz display, additional ports, and charging are great assets to a simplified work flow.
    lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 33
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    There's a real wave of intense "Apple is too expensive" or "monitors are too expensive if Apple recommends them" or "MBP is so expensive, I'm leaving Macs" posting going on all over AI today.  I wonder who is paying for all these posts.  It's a lot more than usual.
    pscooter63watto_cobra