Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter connects legacy accessories to new MacBook Pro USB-C

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Supplementing connectivity of older devices to Apple's new MacBook Pro family, the company has also released a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, allowing users with older Thunderbolt peripherals to connect them to the newer connection standard.

The product connects older 10 Gbit/sec dual-channel original Thunderbolt or 20 Gbit speed Thunderbolt 2 peripherals to the Thunderbolt 3 port with the USB-C connector as found on the new MacBook Pro. However, it will not allow Thunderbolt peripherals to be connected to USB 3.1 Generation 1 connectors, as found on the 2015 and 2015 MacBook.

The adapter is available now for $49 from the Apple online store, and will deliver November 4 with Apple's fastest delivery. AppleInsider has spoken with Apple retail store staff, who have informed us that the adapter will be in stock no later than Nov. 1 for local purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    $49 for this adapter is CRAZY.
    aylkrandominternetpersonschlackbaconstangretrogustotallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 37
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member
    Does this means that the Thunderbolt Display can be used with the new MacBook Pro?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mamuf said:
    Have to agree.  $29 would be much more palatable. 
    mamuf
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Would this allow you to use a Mini DisplayPort Apple monitor with the new MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Current third party adapters for TB2 to the new TB3 are $100+. We'll see what pops out in the coming weeks.

Scottzee, yes, but there are cheaper alternatives.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Current third party adapters for TB2 to the new TB3 are $100+. We'll see what pops out in the coming weeks.

Thanks, any suggestions?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I've used the Aukey one for USB-C to Displayport, and a Displayport to Mini Displayport cable, both acquired from Amazon, and it works well. Total outlay is around $24.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Yeah, because we all know how reliable "cheaper alternatives" are in other areas right?  *rolls eyes* 

Thanks, but no thanks.  I use a 12TB TB2 Promise RAID system and there is no way in hell I'm going to go "cheap" and take a chance with my data on some chinese knockoff because I wanted to save a few bucks.  Considering how much Thunderbolt devices cost, that's cheap for the peace of mind.
    dreyfus2schlacklmagooai46Deelronrezwits
  • Reply 9 of 37
    We're talking about Mini DisplayPort, not the full TB2 bandwidth.

For data-intensive work like your Promise, do get the Apple adapter.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 37
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I am glad they are offering this adapter since I have numerous TB and TB2 peripherals. But somehow this whole TB3 story just screams for a dock / breakout-box that covers many/all things instead of single adapters for each and every purpose... I need an external monitor, Ethernet, HDMI, TB/TB2 devices, USB 3.0 devices, and SD and CF card readers pretty much daily. With all these dongles (cost ignored) this beautiful machine will look like the flying spaghetti monster.
    baconstangRobert Dornpulseimagesrandominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Where's the Lightning headphone to USB-C adapter? 
    kirkgrayliketheskylibertyforall
  • Reply 12 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mamuf said:
    Have to agree.  $29 would be much more palatable. 
    Guessing this is an "active" adapter, not just a metal to metal adapter which they usually charge $29 for.
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Will this allow a 2015 12" MacBook to connect to a Thunderbolt Display?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    dreyfus2 said:
    I am glad they are offering this adapter since I have numerous TB and TB2 peripherals. But somehow this whole TB3 story just screams for a dock / breakout-box that covers many/all things instead of single adapters for each and every purpose... I need an external monitor, Ethernet, HDMI, TB/TB2 devices, USB 3.0 devices, and SD and CF card readers pretty much daily. With all these dongles (cost ignored) this beautiful machine will look like the flying spaghetti monster.
    That's true, and Belkin has been making a very nice Thunderbolt Dock for this purpose for years now. I'm still using their first version, which used Thunderbolt 1. It provides DisplayPort, audio in and out, gigabit Ethernet, several USB 3 ports, and even FireWire 800. I plan to just keep this dock and keep using it with the new MacBook Pro; all I will need is a Thunderbolt 3 <-> old Thunderbolt cable, which will be no problem. I'm sure Belkin will produce a new version which directly supports USB-C, as well.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    mamuf said:
    What he said. Especially if the adapter's purpose is to encourage sales of new machines by reassuring buyers they won't have to replace their current accessories. As much as the MBPs cost already, feels like nickel-and-diming customers.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 16 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,165member
    Everything about this line up is nickel and diming. I like the new toolbar, I am even comfortable with all usbc, but little else.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Robert DornRobert Dorn Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    what about the MAC PRO and the iMac, omg. One of the strong parts of apple always has been the strong interconnectivity between their entire producline. Good luck connecting your brand new iPhone7 to straight to your brand new MPB as well. Steve Jobs passes away more and more, every single new apple keynote. Lack of vision all over the place.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    dreyfus2 said:
    That's true, and Belkin has been making a very nice Thunderbolt Dock for this purpose for years now. I'm still using their first version, which used Thunderbolt 1. It provides DisplayPort, audio in and out, gigabit Ethernet, several USB 3 ports, and even FireWire 800. I plan to just keep this dock and keep using it with the new MacBook Pro; all I will need is a Thunderbolt 3 <-> old Thunderbolt cable, which will be no problem. I'm sure Belkin will produce a new version which directly supports USB-C, as well.
    OWC has a USB-C dock (but no Thunderbolt):
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock

I would keep my eye on them too for future dock options.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Just £49 wow so cheap! /s

This is supposed to help people who have previously invested in Thunderbolt to move onto Thunderbolt 3?

Clearly Apple doesn't care, they don't even make the basic set of adapters for USB C and palm it off to other manufacturers. If I cannot even buy a legitimate adapter it doesn't really encourage confidence.

Still confidence and the Mac. Those two things don't go together anymore
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 20 of 37
    This, friends, is the 'one more thing'.

Adapters. You will always need one more adapter.

Accessory sellers rejoice!