First look: Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Touch Bar is getting good reviews in the hands on pieces. One site said it definitely is NOT a gimmick. Can't wait to try one out.
    welshdog
  • Reply 22 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    JinTech said:
    hmlongco said:
    Apple’s New MacBook Pro is the most amazing notebook... that I’m not going to buy. Still maxes out at 16GB.

https://medium.com/@michaellong/apples-new-macbook-pro-is-the-most-amazing-notebook-i-m-not-going-to-buy-753fbcfb2738#.yzjsakvz4
    Yeah what's up with that? The high end should have 32GB standard!
    Good question. It does depend upon the specifics of the chip set they selected. Some Intel sets don't support memory beyond 16 GB. Obviously I would hope modern chip sets are in these machines so we are back to your question where is the 32 GB? On the other hand the lack of 32 GB is not a good reason to dismiss the machines. Especially with the faster SSD performance and other features.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 67
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    From Ive on CNET:
    "...having the sense this is the beginning of a very interesting direction,” Ive said. “But [it] still just marks a beginning.”

He won’t tell us what it’s the beginning of.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Thats nice Apple. 

Desktop machines?
    tallest skilewtheckman
  • Reply 25 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Where is the new keyboard with the Touch Bar and track pad for 2013 Mac Pro users?  We spend all day using FCPro X, Logic Pro X  and Photoshop etc. it would be an obvious new product surely?  My credit card is ready!
    edited October 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 26 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    From Ive on CNET:
    "...having the sense this is the beginning of a very interesting direction,” Ive said. “But [it] still just marks a beginning.”

Not hard to guess tbh - adding a contextual screen as part of the keyboard clearly as we see it today is first iteration. A couple of years from now it may be the entire trackpad is an OLED, or perhaps eve the entire keyboard. It was introduced on one device - a little further down the road it will be on every Apple laptop as well as on the external keyboard, and quite possibly on the trackpad. The trackpad is an obvious one. If you work on photoshop or FCP or similar it would be fantastic to have the tools off the screen. I can even see professionals using two OLED trackpads - specially if you can use the -pencil in conjunction with the trackpad. 
    nolamacguykodakmomentpscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 67

Where is the new keyboard with the Touch Bar and track pad for 2013 Mac Pro users?  We spend all day using FCPro X, Logic Pro X  and Photoshop etc. it would be an obvious new product surely?  My credit card is ready!
    It is in the works. I am certain of it. Not just for Mac Pro users - iMac users, and Mini users too, will want need it. :)
  • Reply 28 of 67
    sflagel said:
    Can anyone explain to me why the Touchbar is not twice the size, at least? 
    wait, does anyone here work for apple hardware engineering??
  • Reply 29 of 67
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Fluff that's all. Useless fluff
    tino70lenny491
  • Reply 30 of 67
    gaiagaia Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    To get a 13" that's worth an upgrade would cost £1749....I can't see these selling well the price far too high. I have been holding out to buy a new MacBook pro and was going to buy no matter what this time.... until Apple priced me out. Totaly confused buy this, what are Apple thinking.
  • Reply 31 of 67

Along with the iPhone 7 and iOS10, the new MBP with Emoji Bar is a no brainer for me.

I will spend my money to upgrade to a Canon 5D MkIV.

Disappointments to painful to write here.

Me and Apple
    1996 - 2016
    R.I.P.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

lenny491
  • Reply 32 of 67
    geekmee said:
    The Magic Toolbar is proof, in my opinion, that Microsoft is still skating to where the puck was!

And what did MS do?

Introduce a desktop (instead of fixing the tractionless Surface line.)

Lol MS. Redmond never seems to learn.

• Reply 33 of 67
    sockrolid said:

Nice but where is my new Mac Pro?
    And where is my new 21.5" iMac?

If Apple is fully committed to Touch Bar on all Macs, they'll need to redesign the Magic Keyboard.
    There is a chance that re-engineering the presumed Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar might cause a delay.
    But really, Apple.  Ship us some new desktops.
    Obviously they not.  The showed two 13" MacBook Pros today -- one with and one without.   The main difference seemed to be price
    Ok. Great laptops, and I'll be getting the 13" with touch bar, maxed out. But:

1. What incentive is there for developers to support the touch bar! It needs to roll out on all machines, except for maybe the bottom of the line. And yes, please give us a new Magic Keyboard ... should really have been announced today, to send the right message. 

2. WTF is Apple's monitor policy ... it expects users willing to pay top dollar for Mac Pros, and MacBook Pros to pair some ugly square black plastic LG monitor with it, seriously? I'm sure the tech is fine, but I passed my Mac Pro on to a colleague and went back to an iMac 5K just for the monitor. I can't believe Jonny Ive can pour his soul into the design of these computers, and then says "Sure, yeah, that LG complements my designs perfectly, mate". 

3. WTF is a headphone jack doing on these machines ... or more to the point, why isn't there a "modern" headphone jack on here (i.e. lightning) ... so I'm supposed to carry two sets of headphones with me, or extra adaptors? Do they even make a lightning-to-mic-jack adapter (they give the reverse version away with the iPhone 7). I get that an old fashioned audio-out is useful, but throw in lightning, fcs.

I love Apple, will never leave them, but I really wish they could get their ducks in a row for once. They have the resources, the people, and a pretty small product line ... it just can't be that difficult.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    "Overall, we found Apple's Touch Bar solution much more intuitive than a full-fledged touchscreen display. It's easier to rest your hands on the trackpad and Touch Bar than constantly reaching up to interact with a screen interface. "

Exactly what I've been saying all along. Don't want fingerprints on my screen, nor do I want to have to remove my hands from the keyboard in order to touch something.
    Plus the hand cramp you get from interacting with an upright screen over time. Using my Dell desktop touchscreen was a pain literally. Touch Bar looks amazing. So can't wait for new iMac. Hope this thing is coming to all Apple keyboards. Haven't seen the event yet so not sure. 
  • Reply 35 of 67
    paxman said:
    From Ive on CNET:

Not hard to guess tbh - adding a contextual screen as part of the keyboard clearly as we see it today is first iteration. A couple of years from now it may be the entire trackpad is an OLED, or perhaps eve the entire keyboard. It was introduced on one device - a little further down the road it will be on every Apple laptop as well as on the external keyboard, and quite possibly on the trackpad. The trackpad is an obvious one. If you work on photoshop or FCP or similar it would be fantastic to have the tools off the screen. I can even see professionals using two OLED trackpads - specially if you can use the -pencil in conjunction with the trackpad. 
    I Agree -- except for an OLED keyboard.   No feel.   For fast accurate typing most will prefer a keyboard with feel.   In fact, that was one of the selling points of the IBM typewriters and their first computers - their keyboards had the best 'feel' to them.  In fact, I still use an IBM keyboard on both of my desktop computers.  
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 36 of 67
    gaia said:
    To get a 13" that's worth an upgrade would cost £1749....I can't see these selling well the price far too high. I have been holding out to buy a new MacBook pro and was going to buy no matter what this time.... until Apple priced me out. Totaly confused buy this, what are Apple thinking.
    They were kind of upfront about that:   They're called "Pro" for a reason.   They did sort of imply that the non-Touch-Bar 13" was more directed at a regular user.   But, I am betting that we will see the MacBook Air phased out and the MacBook expanded to appeal to students and regular users who mostly use email, Safari, and some word processing & spreadsheet type stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Personally I am confused. This doesn't look Pro consumer to me. It looks like a high end consumer device. Don't get me wrong the tech is great, but I have been waiting for a Pro machine. As far as the computer products Apple has been terrible about rolling out tech. It took years to get the 4K/5K thing going on most models. This touch bar is the same.  As an IT professional, and a part time recording engineer they aren't providing what I want/need. I have longed preferred Apple, and am a huge fan of macOS, but the clock is ticking. My 2011 macbook pro won't last forever. Even maxed out. 

As far as product ecosystems go Apple is failing. Let me explain why I think this way.

Where is the monitor. I don't want to plug my 3k Apple laptop into an LG. I want to plug it into an Apple Display. This is a large reason why I haven't purchased to an iMac. I want dual displays and don't want a mismatched monitor next to my iMac. I'd probably own my laptop and an iMac if it was not for this. 

The new keyboard, and track pad are not enjoyable to use if you spend most of your day with them. I want real feedback . I purchased the new keyboard, and track when they came out. I had no issue with the original wireless keyboard, mouse, and track pad. I just wanted the new cool Apple gear. I'm not sure why the wireless stand alone products need to have the same shallow key bed, and non existent response. I don't care about the weight or size of my external devices. I'll take a bit of a hit for the keyboard on the laptop itself, but not on the desk use devices. I'd buy other than OEM, but that is obviously not going to ever have the new tech of the touch bar.

I'm ok with a bigger laptop if I can upgrade the RAM and HD. Those prices fall quick, most of us pro users have underestimated who much of these things we need at least once. When you a professional cost add up, and being able to add some life to a device adds to the bottom line. 

As mentioned in this thread why is there no 32Gb model. My 2011 has 16Gb. I use VMs pretty often and RAM is a big deal at those time. I thought this was supposed to be the Pro version. I'm not buying a laptop that doesn't have or isn't upgradeable to at least 32Gb. 

Why does everything come with a 256Gb HD. What professional only only wants 256Gb. This has been a problem with Apple as long as I've buying. You always have to upgrade the HD. 

The mac "Pro" is 3 years behind. That is all.

The iCloud, and handoff technology is by far the best I've seen. I would love to leave work with my laptop. Check stuff on my phone on my couch, and then rock a bit of extra work on my desktop in the evening without having to move files around. If I could get the hardware that I want to support my work. 

As slow as apple is to update the computer products they really need to wow people. With a 32Gb option, and all of the corresponding products at launch it would have been a win. I have my barclays card paid off waiting for them to wow me. Instead it looks like a Microsoft event. Some neat stuff that doesn't do what I want it to. 
    Unfortunately at some point I guess I'll have to accept that the iPhone makes more money, and that they are not interested in producing computers for professionals. The current goal is obviously thin, and light. 
  • Reply 38 of 67
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    tino70 said:

Along with the iPhone 7 and iOS10, the new MBP with Emoji Bar is a no brainer for me.

I will spend my money to upgrade to a Canon 5D MkIV.

Disappointments to painful to write here.

Me and Apple
    1996 - 2016
    R.I.P.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Nice to know that Samsung employees read Hitchhiker's Guide.  That's something, at least.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Did you guys not catch that the keyboard is like the MacBook 12inch. Terrible keyboard. I have the MacBook 12inch. I deal with its keyboard in situations where I have to, but the keyboard isn't easy to use.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    machead10 said:
    Did you guys not catch that the keyboard is like the MacBook 12inch. Terrible keyboard. I have the MacBook 12inch. I deal with its keyboard in situations where I have to, but the keyboard isn't easy to use.
    Like the MB keyboard but improved, is what Phil said, wasn't it? Personally I like the MB keyboard. I am also ok with the iPad screen keyboard. 
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra