First look: Apple's new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
    From Ive on CNET:
    "...having the sense this is the beginning of a very interesting direction,” Ive said. “But [it] still just marks a beginning.”

He won’t tell us what it’s the beginning of.
    Not hard to guess tbh - adding a contextual screen as part of the keyboard clearly as we see it today is first iteration. A couple of years from now it may be the entire trackpad is an OLED, or perhaps eve the entire keyboard. It was introduced on one device - a little further down the road it will be on every Apple laptop as well as on the external keyboard, and quite possibly on the trackpad. The trackpad is an obvious one. If you work on photoshop or FCP or similar it would be fantastic to have the tools off the screen. I can even see professionals using two OLED trackpads - specially if you can use the -pencil in conjunction with the trackpad. 
    I Agree -- except for an OLED keyboard.   No feel.   For fast accurate typing most will prefer a keyboard with feel.   In fact, that was one of the selling points of the IBM typewriters and their first computers - their keyboards had the best 'feel' to them.  In fact, I still use an IBM keyboard on both of my desktop computers.  
    I understand that people have keyboard preferences but I often hear this 'no feel' comment about the iPad and I don't see how 'feel' makes the keyboard more accurate. One must type reeeallyy slowly for 'feel' to come into play in terms of where the finger lands. Feedback is another thing. I like feedback but I can envisage haptic feedback advancing to the point where individual virtual keys across the screen will click and feed back in response to touch. 
  • Reply 42 of 67
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Lots of posters with single post counts tonight.  And with nothing but negatives to share.  Interesting.
    pscooter63watto_cobratyler82
  • Reply 43 of 67
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Wow... I am going to have to buy a Windows laptop for work. Second toe out of the ecosystem. 

This laptop does does almost nothing to handle my needs, which aren't that high-end.  Nearly $3k when you add in the cost of a dock to actually make it functional, and just meh performance. 

At at this point, just give me a fucking Mac mini with a built-in 30-minute UPS battery.  

Their obvious goal is to make the iPad line more compelling than the laptop line, which seems absurd.  Someone needs to be fired. 
  • Reply 44 of 67
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    machead10 said:
    Did you guys not catch that the keyboard is like the MacBook 12inch. Terrible keyboard. I have the MacBook 12inch. I deal with its keyboard in situations where I have to, but the keyboard isn't easy to use.
    Wow.  All these 1-post wonders slamming Apple.

Here's a question.  Is this a single Samsung employee making multiple accounts, or several of them?
    Bluntwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 67
    raruturarutu Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    i think the touch bar is the most useless feature i ever heard about until now ... maybe if u do media editing it would do something (nothing new ... just a new way of doing it) but as a programmer ...it would be just another thing i need to clean ... what am i saying ... i do not need to clean it ... cause i won't buy it :))
  • Reply 46 of 67
    My only disappointment here was that Apple is "partnering" with LG for a 5K display. Apple lives by their brand, and so I'm wondering why Apple didn't just slap their logo onto an LG 5K monitor, price it at $999 and call it a day. This way, they could also be paired with the next iteration of the Mac Pro.

I'm really liking the versatility of the Thunderbolt ports and the TouchBar. The TouchBar is definitely a better idea than a laptop touchscreen.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    roake said:
    Wow.  All these 1-post wonders slamming Apple.

Here's a question.  Is this a single Samsung employee making multiple accounts, or several of them?
    Seems like the posting time-of-day fits, doesn't it?  Not to mention the collectively homogenous tone of many of them.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 67
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    My only disappointment here was that Apple is "partnering" with LG for a 5K display. Apple lives by their brand, and so I'm wondering why Apple didn't just slap their logo onto an LG 5K monitor, price it at $999 and call it a day. This way, they could also be paired with the next iteration of the Mac Pro.
    I think the sales of any Apple branded monitor would be so low, that even Apple is not interested in making the effort. So much easier to bless another brand that you have an agreement with to offer certain features that fit your customers needs.  This is not the mid 90s when Cinema Displays were flying off the shelves.  The needs are different now and it seems best to leave it to the montior makers.  Personally I would have liked to see them partner with Eizo. Those folks make some very nice screens.

As and aside, that Cinema Display that everyone loves to wax poetic about is actually a pretty lousy monitor from almost every metric.  Bit depth, color accuracy, adjustability, calibration etc. all weak.  Many other monitors of the day were much better than the Cinema Display, just not as pretty.  Of course the facility where I worked had like 20 of them on FCP systems, so no one really cared - the ad agency clients liked to see them.  Made them think we knew what we were doing D
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 49 of 67
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    rarutu said:
    i think the touch bar is the most useless feature i ever heard about until now ... maybe if u do media editing it would do something (nothing new ... just a new way of doing it) but as a programmer ...it would be just another thing i need to clean ... what am i saying ... i do not need to clean it ... cause i won't buy it :))

I think your (first) post is pretty useless.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 67
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Wow... I am going to have to buy a Windows laptop for work. Second toe out of the ecosystem. 

This laptop does does almost nothing to handle my needs, which aren't that high-end.  Nearly $3k when you add in the cost of a dock to actually make it functional, and just meh performance. 

At at this point, just give me a fucking Mac mini with a built-in 30-minute UPS battery.  

Their obvious goal is to make the iPad line more compelling than the laptop line, which seems absurd.  Someone needs to be fired. 

Bullshit. So what are your needs? I am doing quite heavy stuf on an six year old Macbook Pro and you can't get your work done on this laptop? Somebody needs to get fired.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JBSlough said:
    So while watching the demos the Touch Bar looked awkward to use. Couldn't help but think that maybe it should be between the keyboard and trackpad. 
    No. 

Folk are used to having functional strips above the main keyboard where it's as close as possible to the screen. Moving it below the keyboard is a very bad idea. 

• Reply 52 of 67
    Imagine that TrackPad was OLED as well...
    Wow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Touch bar is a nice start; it will make the use of simple Apps like Mail, much easier and efficient. But for complex applications, such as Photoshop, what could be also cool is for Apple to allow Application developers to show Menus and Function buttons on my iPhone or iPad when the App is in full screen mode. Wouldn't it be nice to have all those controls they showed us on a  1cm x 20 cm screen available on the iPhone sitting next to the keyboard?

Such a solution would also be more helpful for people that use an external keyboard and screen with their MBP: the Touch Bar becomes useless as soon as you do that, but if Apps could use iPhones/iPads to allow for interaction with the App, the screen stays really uncluttered.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 67
    welshdog said:
    Lots of posters with single post counts tonight.  And with nothing but negatives to share.  Interesting.

Okay, wait.  I come to this site daily but just because I don't post a snide, self-serving comment each time I breeze by doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.  I only have a few posts on AI but if that makes me less important even though I'm surrounded by Apple products, then kiss my ass.

The new laptops are gorgeous, as usual.  When/if Touch Bar is properly supported by developers it certainly will be useful.  Is it "groundbreaking" or "outside of the box "?  Sure.

But here's the thing:  In the last two days, we've seen what competition can bring to market.  You can pooh-pooh Microsoft's efforts all you want but do so at your peril.  Anyone here attempting to discount the Surface Studio is doing a disservice to themselves and to competition and creativity overall.  Even though $3000 is WAY too rich for my blood at this point, I'm dying to try the Surface Studio.  I would hope that Apple now sees that being best in class pushes everybody else to do their best work.  Not only Microsoft but THEIR partners like HP, Lenovo and even Dell (!?!) are creating gorgeous systems and finally offering people high-quality if not beautiful hardware for the platform they wish to use.

Just because this site focuses on Apple's merits doesn't mean it's readers have to dance around it like a bunch of wild douchebags with a very limited view of the world as a whole.  Do not be afraid to expect more of Apple when you see something that makes your inner geek freak out.  Call them out...make them raise the bar even higher.

And for blue f***'s sake...stop acting like anyone that doesn't post regularly in the Comments section shouldn't have an opinion.  Seriously...get the **** over yourself.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 55 of 67
    vonbrick said:
    Okay, wait.  I come to this site daily but just because I don't post a snide, self-serving comment each time I breeze by doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.
    Do you have a single post to your name? No. Is your post content something like this:
    rarutu said:
    No. 

Why not read before going on a tirade?
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Is anyone knows if performances have been increased for real?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    vonbrick said:
    And for blue f***'s sake...stop acting like anyone that doesn't post regularly in the Comments section shouldn't have an opinion.  Seriously...get the **** over yourself.
     Of course people who post more regularly are going to be skeptical when people with next to no posts show up and start ripping on new products announced. of course these people are always long time Apple fans who own all these Apple products blah blah blah. That to me is a flag for a troll. 
  • Reply 58 of 67
    I am loving what I am seeing with this Pro so far. That touch bar is seriously convincing me to finally upgrade from my 2012 Air. But one silly question, because I may have missed it. Anyone see how many USB ports it comes with? I use a lot of peripherals and am just curious. I see it has 2 thunderbolts, which is cool obviously, but couldn't see how many USB or SD card ports. 
  • Reply 59 of 67
    paxman said:

I understand that people have keyboard preferences but I often hear this 'no feel' comment about the iPad and I don't see how 'feel' makes the keyboard more accurate. One must type reeeallyy slowly for 'feel' to come into play in terms of where the finger lands. Feedback is another thing. I like feedback but I can envisage haptic feedback advancing to the point where individual virtual keys across the screen will click and feed back in response to touch. 
    Feel has two major components when it comes to touch typing.

First, are my fingers correctly positioned over the keys? You always need to be sure you're typing the correct key to type fast and accurately. If you reach too far, or simply wind up out of alignment with your keys, you could window up typing dimrthng thst udn.t tught. The edges of physical keys provide that feedback on where your fingers are relative to the keys. That's one of the reasons auto-correct is such a big deal on virtual keyboards like on the iPhones and iPads.

Second, have you pushed the key far enough to activate it. We instinctively know when we've pushed something far enough to "give way". Our fingers are highly sensitive to touch to serve that very purpose. A good keyboard gives us that immediate feedback, allowing for significantly faster and more accurate typing. A flat surface sorta satisfies that purpose in that we can feel when we've actually touched the surface, but that leaves us with no contact at all unless we're activating a key, which takes us back to the first point.

There are other issues such as the amount of force, distance of movement, human reaction times, and force of impact that also have a significant impact on how long a keyboard can be used without causing injury. (Ergonomics) But these need to take second place to the first two primary issues.
  • Reply 60 of 67

I am loving what I am seeing with this Pro so far. That touch bar is seriously convincing me to finally upgrade from my 2012 Air. But one silly question, because I may have missed it. Anyone see how many USB ports it comes with? I use a lot of peripherals and am just curious. I see it has 2 thunderbolts, which is cool obviously, but couldn't see how many USB or SD card ports. 
    The new machines don't have either of those ports. You need to use an adapter to get those connections via the thunderbolt ports.