Apple TV and iOS gain unified television experience with new 'TV' app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    qwwera said:
    I still like the way chromecast works.  Just open you app and hit play. Why a middleman app interface?
    Chromcast never worked well for me. Many apps seems to glitch when going to commercials -- it was a frustrating experience.
    caliapplepieguy
  • Reply 22 of 40
    eightzero said:
    4. I'm curious about this, and hope the Channels/HDHomeRun people are able to offer an OTA link option. I can switch between inputs on my TV, but the Channels app looks pretty slick, and I'm pondering springing for the HDHomeRun box to try it. If ATV had TV tuners in it, and added a coax antenna jack...wow. HDHomeRun has multiple tuners in it, so it direct supports PIP on OTA signals. But...about $200 for the box and apps. 

Channels is the best app on Apple TV--works flawlessly for live TV with pause and rewind (and DVR capabilities coming soon). You can get an older HDHomeRun device on eBay for around $60 (this is what I use for OTA and it has worked perfectly). And since it all works through your network, multiple Apple TVs in your house can utilize only one HDHomeRun.

We never have to switch our input on our TV since everything is through the Apple TV. If The live TV info from Channels could get pulled into the new Apple TV app, it would be great! Otherwise, it ends up missing a big part of the whole picture of what's on/available to watch.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    How is this unified if it doesn't even do pas-through to live TV?  They made it sound like you could tune in live, but that's only to the apps on the Apple TV.  If you have a cable package, you can't just tune in live to anything provided by cable or satellite, you've got to switch inputs.  

This is why I use my xBone.  That's a unified experience.  Same apps as Apple TV, support for BluRay, and support for my Cable or Satellite provider.  Apple is enhancing what they have, but they are working with half of the tools.  Their zeal for removing physical functionality is going to kill them as it did in the 80s/90s.

I appreciate what Apple does on the Software side, but they're going to be killed by the hardware side.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    huffcw said:
    eightzero said:
    4. I'm curious about this, and hope the Channels/HDHomeRun people are able to offer an OTA link option. I can switch between inputs on my TV, but the Channels app looks pretty slick, and I'm pondering springing for the HDHomeRun box to try it. If ATV had TV tuners in it, and added a coax antenna jack...wow. HDHomeRun has multiple tuners in it, so it direct supports PIP on OTA signals. But...about $200 for the box and apps. 

Channels is the best app on Apple TV--works flawlessly for live TV with pause and rewind (and DVR capabilities coming soon). You can get an older HDHomeRun device on eBay for around $60 (this is what I use for OTA and it has worked perfectly). And since it all works through your network, multiple Apple TVs in your house can utilize only one HDHomeRun.

We never have to switch our input on our TV since everything is through the Apple TV. If The live TV info from Channels could get pulled into the new Apple TV app, it would be great! Otherwise, it ends up missing a big part of the whole picture of what's on/available to watch.
    Question for a HDHomeRUn user: Last time I hooked my ATV to the router with an ethernet cable, I was unable to Airplay to it. Unplug the ethernet and go over wifi, and all was well. I understand the HDHomeRun Connect needs 802.11ac to stream HD, and of course...my Apple Airport Extreme is the older version on 802.11n. Meaning, I'd need to connect the HDHomeRun via ethernet (and maybe give up airplay) or fork over $200 for a new Extreme. Can you confirm Airplay works if still connected via ethernet?
  • Reply 25 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dachar said:
    A new apple app for TV is hardly big news is it? The Apple TV presentation felt like  a waste of time, especially as the TV app will only work in the USA, at least for the near future. Apple could have made more impact if they reduced the presentation to 45 minutes and cut out all the filler.  This did not feel like an innovative company making us all go wow. 
    Yep, it's like Apple is firing on one cylinder.

This was just fluff.   And of course no iHub to compete with either Google Home or Amazon Echo (which I have finally decided Apple isn't working on -  Apple dare not make a product where the sole form of interaction would be verbally through the joke known as Siri).  
  • Reply 26 of 40
    eightzero said:
    huffcw said:
    eightzero said:

Question for a HDHomeRUn user: Last time I hooked my ATV to the router with an ethernet cable, I was unable to Airplay to it. Unplug the ethernet and go over wifi, and all was well. I understand the HDHomeRun Connect needs 802.11ac to stream HD, and of course...my Apple Airport Extreme is the older version on 802.11n. Meaning, I'd need to connect the HDHomeRun via ethernet (and maybe give up airplay) or fork over $200 for a new Extreme. Can you confirm Airplay works if still connected via ethernet?
    AirPlay works fine for me when the Apple TV is connected to Ethernet (as long as it is connected to the same router that is proving WiFi). By the way, I was also previous able to get HD channels from the HDHomeRun to stream over wifi on an 802.11n network (I am sure it is more reliable n a faster network though). I have since upgraded to a newer Airport, so am now using 802.11ac. I still have my main Apple TV hooked in via Ethernet -- and again no issues with AirPlay.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    paxman said:
    Ca't you just get lowededwookie said:
    I seriously doubt we'll ever see this in New Zealand.

How long have TV Shows been available in iTunes? All that time and New Zealand still does not have access to them.

This needs to change. We have Netflix (although hobbled at the moment) but I really want TV Shows available in iTunes.

Maybe this app is going to fix this and give us what we want but I'm not holding my breath.
    a US iTunes Account? It is a bit of a pain to get the gift cards (don't buy on eBay), but if you have a friend in the US who can help you it is pretty straight forward.
    And therein lies the problem.

I don't know anyone in the US, I've tried things like Entropay but that's based out of Malta so it doesn't get accepted by Apple.

It's such a pain that we can't get content simply because the stupid government cowtowed to TVNZ and SkyTV.

I'll stick to Netflix for the time being.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I hope they develop tech so individuals have their own TV app profile.  Optional integration, authentication, privacy using iPhone/iPad touchID to access.  I'm not interested in "What's Next" for others in my home.  And with three TVs with AppleTV attached, we have options for watching as a group or separate.  
  • Reply 29 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I was super stoked the whole time I saw this part of the presentation! It solved so many problems and then I read Netflix isn't supported?! I hope they get on board this is ridiculous
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I was kind of hoping to download it right after the keynote finished. Was it announced that it comes in December, or did I misread this article?
    cali
  • Reply 31 of 40
    James AAJames AA Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple's TV strategy is DOA if it continues to be one of six things that hang off a TV. They need to add multiple HDMI ports allowing it tube he conduit everything else passes through and improve the management of those devices
  • Reply 32 of 40
    James AA said:
    Apple's TV strategy is DOA if it continues to be one of six things that hang off a TV. They need to add multiple HDMI ports allowing it tube he conduit everything else passes through and improve the management of those devices
    Sounds like your setup could use some simplification. Six devices is a lot to switch between.

Personally, I am down to two devices hooked to my TV and only the Apple TV gets used on any regular basis. The other is a Blu-Ray player that we rarely use anymore. So, one push of a button wakes up the Apple TV and turns on the TV -- ready to go.

This was possible due to the Channels live TV app and large number of network apps now available (still missing a couple though -- Cartoon Network for example). No real need for a cable box or other device anymore.
    edited October 2016 applepieguy
  • Reply 33 of 40
    dachar said:
    A new apple app for TV is hardly big news is it? The Apple TV presentation felt like  a waste of time, especially as the TV app will only work in the USA, at least for the near future. Apple could have made more impact if they reduced the presentation to 45 minutes and cut out all the filler.  This did not feel like an innovative company making us all go wow. 
    This is a revolution! Apple keeps your ass in a chair 45 mins and calls it Retention ^^ But I think we need solution on VOD market, too much providers and content in my opinion. So it's quite good :)
  • Reply 34 of 40
    James AA said:
    Thanks for your concern trolling.
    applepieguy
  • Reply 35 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    huffcw said:
    eightzero said:
    huffcw said:
    eightzero said:

AirPlay works fine for me when the Apple TV is connected to Ethernet (as long as it is connected to the same router that is proving WiFi). By the way, I was also previous able to get HD channels from the HDHomeRun to stream over wifi on an 802.11n network (I am sure it is more reliable n a faster network though). I have since upgraded to a newer Airport, so am now using 802.11ac. I still have my main Apple TV hooked in via Ethernet -- and again no issues with AirPlay.
    Thanks. Very helpful!

I may have it a go when I see a HDHomeRun for a good price.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    sog35 said:
    daven said:
    sog35 said:
    This is worthless if your cable company does not allow streaming on devices (Time Warner/Charter communications)
    I have Charter cable internet and can stream on my devices. What are you talking about?
    I'm with Time Warner which was purchased by Charter. With Time Warner I can't stream live TV.  Only a few channels. 

Hope this changes once Charter takes over 100%
    Not true. You can stream live TV except the sport events.
    Dude I have time Warner. 90% of the channels you can't stream.

sog35 if you download the TWC app from the Apple Store which is now TWC/Spectrum you can stream every channel you are paying for, you can also access On Demand as well, it has been working great sense Charter which is Spectrum/TWC now. The picture and sound quality is sweet, all Digital and HD channels are available, also if you don't have actual Cable TV subscription, you can get TWC TV subscription for $12.99 that you can Watch TV using your internet connection only, but not only can you watch on your Apple TV, but you can also use the app on your iPhone, iPad, iMac Roku etc...Also if you want regular channel apps like AMC or ABC, NBC, for example you just have to verify you are a subscriber of TWC/Spectrum and it will unlock it. But like I said the TWC/Spectrum service for $12.99 is real nice for people who want to cut the cord on cable subscription TV and still get all of the channels, it works great. I was streaming the World Series on it last night. Better yet here is a link to the app from the App Store, Sign in with your TWC account username and password. Afterwards you should be able to Watch more than just a few channels. https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/faqs-tv/twctvapp/what-devices-can-i-access.html and https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twc-tv/id420455839?mt=8 They have been working on this app for Apple, last couple days there has been a few updates, it is getting better, if for some reason you can find the TWC App on the Apple Store on your Apple TV, then download it on your iPad or iPhone and Stream to your Apple TV using Air Play, it works like that too, because that’s what I used before the App was available to get. Good Luck!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    I assume the stand alone NETFLIX app will still be part ofthe Apple TV device package, right?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    bbh said:
    I assume the stand alone NETFLIX app will still be part ofthe Apple TV device package, right?
    Yes
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Maybe if "TV" had something useful, like say TV, I would be interested.  i.e. ATSC 3.0 tuner  http://atsc.org

So far it seems to offer nothing very compelling...