Examined: Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 gen 2 on the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    felix01 said:
    I suppose a Google search will reveal the answer but for brevity's sake, are Thunderbolt 3 docks being made? And if so, do any of them support FireWire? Or maybe it's not even doable?
    Sure it's possible.  The Apple Thunderbolt Display has a Firewire 800 port, and there are a couple of Thunderbolt 2 hubs with F800 too - e.g. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/Dock/OWC/Thunderbolt2-Dock/

The only Thunderbolt 3 hub I've seen advertised is the Belkin, which doesn't have any Firewire, but there could be other unannounced in the pipeline; or if you really want you could buy a T3 to T2 adaptor.
    baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 61
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:
    Is Apple having a port identity crisis? Also notice these have headphone jacks. Aren't headphone jacks, like function keys, outdated technology?

Shouldn't Apple be pushing Lightning 2.0? Are problems arising with USB-C? What the hell is going on?

Yes Apple thinks that headphones are outdated technology, but they would have left one on the iPhone if there was room for it and if it didn't compromise the waterproofing. Fortunately the Mac has more space, and is never going to be water resistant, so it gets to stay there's no room.

They could have put a lightning connector on the MacBook, but I guess they thought that a lot of professional musicians will be less than happy to give up their favourite headphones, and anyone with a set of lightning headphones from their iPhone7 already has an adapter.  
     This is more in line with what I was thinking but it also shows that Apple isn't confident that wireless is the future. It's also funny because I saw the future happening for the first time today, someone was complaining that it didn't have lightning for his new headphones. 

As far as my lightning comment, I'm hoping Apple announces a lightning 2.0 with more capabilities than USB-C. I feel like Apple should go all the way or not go at all
    Actually it shows that Apple doesn't remove things unless they have to. The depth of the Macbook can still accommodate a headphone jack, so there is no point in removing it. When they get this thing down to the width of a USB-C port then the jack will probably go. 

If someone complains that he can't plug in his new lightning headphones then tell him to look in the box his iPhone7 came in. If he has Apple lightning buds then they came with his iPhone7 … along with an adaptor.
    So, I've seen you make this statement a few times now on these boards. Just exactly what adapter do you think comes with the iPhone 7? Because the one in the box will in no way help you plug in the iPhone 7 Lightning ear buds into any laptop.

I won't bother going into what's wrong with your first paragraph. Let's get you straightened out on your adapter confusion first.
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    benjer said:
    I understand the difficulty with buying adapters (and having them clutter your workspace), not to mention the cost. That alone will probably prevent me from buying a Mac with only USB-C/TB3 ports for a few years. I'm in the nonprofit world, and unless I really need the power that the new MacBook Pros provide, it would not be a good use of funds to buy a new MacBook Pro that also required extra money to get new adapters, peripherals, or both.

i never understood the adapters-cost-money thing. if you feel you need the pro hardware and are spending thousands of dollars for a work machine, what's another adapter or two add to the cost? kinda moot at that point. 
    edited October 2016 ai46williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 61
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    benjer said:
    I understand the difficulty with buying adapters (and having them clutter your workspace), not to mention the cost. That alone will probably prevent me from buying a Mac with only USB-C/TB3 ports for a few years. I'm in the nonprofit world, and unless I really need the power that the new MacBook Pros provide, it would not be a good use of funds to buy a new MacBook Pro that also required extra money to get new adapters, peripherals, or both.

However...

If Apple is committed to the form factor of USB-C/TB3 (so that for at least 5 years, Macs will use that same form factor), I think it's a good move. I will miss the MagSafe plug, but I would like it if I had four ports that would all fit my flash drive (yep, still use one occasionally), power cord, external hard drive, external monitor etc. Of course, it's a pain when old peripherals require an adapter (such as the move to lightning port), but if Apple sticks with it, it really will make things easier in the years to come.

If they abandon it after only a few years, however, then I'll be angry.
    Abandon it like they just did the the TB1 / TB2 / Mini display port?
    aylk
  • Reply 25 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

cali said:
    mknelson said:
    cali said:
    Is Apple having a port identity crisis? Also notice these have headphone jacks. Aren't headphone jacks, like function keys, outdated technology?

Shouldn't Apple be pushing Lightning 2.0? Are problems arising with USB-C? What the hell is going on?
    I think the lack of headphone jacks in the iP7 has more to do with improving the water resistance* and adding space for other components rather than any identity port crisis.

*most water resistant android phones with the jack still leak pretty badly.
    That's not what Apple said. They said the jack was outdated and wireless was the future. Were they lying?

water resistant androids are crap I know that.
    sorry but you're ignorant -- that's exactly what apple said. their VP of engineering did a popular article interview where he said specifically it was about the bigger OIS camera and processor, bigger battery, and water seals. 

before you suggest apple are big meanies lying to you, you'd better get your facts straight. 
    ai46williamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 26 of 61
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    felix01 said:
    I suppose a Google search will reveal the answer but for brevity's sake, are Thunderbolt 3 docks being made? And if so, do any of them support FireWire? Or maybe it's not even doable?
    If there aren't any, just get Apple's $59 Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter and get one of the several TB2 docks that support FW800.  B)

But in all seriousness, a note of caution, many FW-TB adapters, including Apple's own and those on at least some docks, aren't quite as seamless is the native FW port on Macs. Many of them have issues with daisy chaining multiple FW devices. But it seems most are reliable for connecting a single device at a time so hopefully that is all you are looking for.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member

felix01 said:
    I have a TB2 dock which provides, among other things, a FW800 port.  Haven't seen a TB3 dock just yet.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Same folks having a hissy-fit that Apple removes legacy ports.  I see nothing wrong, only great reasons.  I'm heading off to an Apple store in the hopes I can score one today.

Apple can't win.  Whiners harped on Apple on their last refresh why USBc/TB3 wasn't included, NOW they are whining that they don't want to lose their old ports.  Crybabies.

In one year.. this will all be history, and the whiners will simply turn their head in the hopes no one calls them out.  The Internet won't forget though.
    tmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 61
    I love my MacBook air, but I'm sorry I think this is a lossy way to introduce the USB C port.  it would have added very little costs to include one or 2 USB-A style ports.  To allow users to gradually replace peripheral devices with USB-C style ones.  Now just to get data from someone on a USB Drive you'll need an adapter.  As most computers remain with USB-A style plugs, the market will continue to provide USB-A devices primarily, USB-C will be expensive for the foreseeable future.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 30 of 61
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    felix01 said:
    See <http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/196518>.
    But no Firewire. FW, alas, is dead, even though not quite buried.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    benjer said:

i never understood the adapters-cost-money thing. if you feel you need the pro hardware and are spending thousands of dollars for a work machine, what's another adapter or two add to the cost? kinda moot at that point. 
    You missed the part where said I work in the nonprofit world. We do spend money on quality computers, but we try to make them last a really long time. In fact, long term, Macs are a better buy and save us money because they cost less to support and have to be replaced less often. The point was that I probably wouldn't buy a machine at this point that also required the additional cost of adapters to make it work the peripherals we currently have. Eventually the cost of USB-C/TB3 peripherals will go down (because there will be more demand), and it will then cost less to move to the new MacBook Pros with only USB-C and TB3 ports. 
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Ra_Ra_ Posts: 4member
    Those talking about the headphone jack are also missing the fact that the audio jack on the MacBook Pro has been a combo jack that also has multichannel optical for years. Losing it would mean not just losing a tip-ring-sleeve type electrical connection, but also the more advanced functionality that is less common to have good wireless solutions. Given the extra functionality, and that there was room available, and that they didn't have the same water resistance issues (though a water resistant MacBook would have been pretty cool…), I think it was a great call to keep the port.
    williamlondonaylk
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:

Yes Apple thinks that headphones are outdated technology, but they would have left one on the iPhone if there was room for it and if it didn't compromise the waterproofing. Fortunately the Mac has more space, and is never going to be water resistant, so it gets to stay there's no room.

They could have put a lightning connector on the MacBook, but I guess they thought that a lot of professional musicians will be less than happy to give up their favourite headphones, and anyone with a set of lightning headphones from their iPhone7 already has an adapter.  
     This is more in line with what I was thinking but it also shows that Apple isn't confident that wireless is the future. It's also funny because I saw the future happening for the first time today, someone was complaining that it didn't have lightning for his new headphones. 

As far as my lightning comment, I'm hoping Apple announces a lightning 2.0 with more capabilities than USB-C. I feel like Apple should go all the way or not go at all
    Actually it shows that Apple doesn't remove things unless they have to. The depth of the Macbook can still accommodate a headphone jack, so there is no point in removing it. When they get this thing down to the width of a USB-C port then the jack will probably go. 

If someone complains that he can't plug in his new lightning headphones then tell him to look in the box his iPhone7 came in. If he has Apple lightning buds then they came with his iPhone7 … along with an adaptor.
    Adaptor does the other way, it is for plugging regular headphones into lighting sockets, not lighting headphones into regular sockets.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 34 of 61
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    I don't see what the problem is myself. I ordered a USB-C to USB-A adapter with my MacBook Pro but I've just been looking at replacement cables for the 3 things that I actually connect to my Mac. I can easily just buy a printer cable, external hard drive cable and perhaps a Lightning cable that all have USB-C connectivity, therefore eliminating the need to use adapters. I'll still keep the adapter that I've purchased as a just in case backup, but replacing your existing cables is far easier than shelling out on a bunch of adapters and will look much neater (if you're a bit OCD about such things like me!).
    If you mostly use your laptop at home, then it is easy to get new cables and adapters. However, if you travel a lot for work, then you have to connect to whatever is provided. It took a long time to get some standardization for video, but it seems that everyone finally agreed to use the hdmi plug as the standard. Carrying one adapter is still better than the mess it used to be, but I prefer not to need any adapter.
  • Reply 35 of 61

Abandon it like they just did the the TB1 / TB2 / Mini display port?
    True. But remember, it's been in MacBook Pros for five years. I'd like to see the new ports last up to 10 years, but I don't think to stop using an I/O interface after five years is unreasonable.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:

Plus, it would cause confusion and possibly damage since USBc and Lightning sockets are very similar in size and shape.  Having 4 identical ports is a nice touch (except for the fact that nothing I have today has a USBc plug, but that's a transition issue.)
  • Reply 37 of 61
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Well done, Apple. But besides Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps), bring also USB 3.1 Type-C (Reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) and SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 38 of 61
    tmay said:
    waverboy said:
    USB-C/Thunderbolt is all very well and good, bring it on, but give us the MagSafe power plug back already.  Horrible decision to get rid of it IMO.
    You are aware that USB Type C standard is a plug and socket, so by definition, this would be a function that would take place at the charger or at some intermediate point on the cable. The best case might be a stub adaptor that plugs into the USB Type C socket, with a magnetic interface on the cable side, and guess what? Third parties have already made those.
    He's not saying that Apple should have made USBc MagSafe, he's saying that Apple could have included 4 USBc ports (and the headphone/optical audio jack) and still charging via a proprietary MagSafe power connector.  And that's completely true.  If it turns out that we'll be able to charge our new MacBook Pros off our car DC port and buy cheap, reliable third party power supplies that don't cost $80, then I'll see the benefit of using the USBc port for power.  Until then, it seems like more of a gimmick than a feature.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    appex said:
    Well done, Apple. But besides Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps), bring also USB 3.1 Type-C (Reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) and SDXC with extra pins supporting maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
    I don't understand this post.  Doesn't the main article say that the new ports are "also USB 3.1 Type-C (Reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps)"?
  • Reply 40 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    cali said:

Huh?   Seriously guy the article is pretty clear here or didn't you bother to read the article beyond the heading?

Here is the short scoop:   The TB3/USB-C ports implement a variety of protocols thus allowing them to service a variety of peripherals.    In a sense the ports are dynamic, configuring to the connected device.