Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 198
    asdasd said:
    The video is pretty good, and I like the idea of that twisty thing (tm). 

Could Apple do this? It would mean making a desktop mac work as an iPad in certain circumstances 
    I watched the whole Microsoft announcement and that horrible used-car salesman Panos Panay. He did look like he put some weight on the thing as he was drawing on it.

But here's the rub. This won't be out until March of next year. Meanwhile, Apple will actually be delivering their new stuff.
  • Reply 182 of 198
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    asdasd said:

Could Apple do this? It would mean making a desktop mac work as an iPad in certain circumstances 
    I watched the whole Microsoft announcement and that horrible used-car salesman Panos Panay. He did look like he put some weight on the thing as he was drawing on it.

But here's the rub. This won't be out until March of next year. Meanwhile, Apple will actually be delivering their new stuff.
    According to The Verge, Surface Studio will be on sale in time for the holiday season

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/26/13380462/microsoft-surface-studio-pc-computer-announced-features-price-release-date
  • Reply 183 of 198
    asdasd said:

According to The Verge, Surface Studio will be on sale in time for the holiday season

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/26/13380462/microsoft-surface-studio-pc-computer-announced-features-price-release-date
    Well, at least it's interesting what will be released first. Surface Studio, or AirPods? :D
    canukstorm
  • Reply 184 of 198
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bsenka said:
    As an Apple-only user since before there even was a Macintosh, the Surface Studio makes me angry. Angry because this is exactly the product that Apple should have made at least 6 years ago. Angry because it's inexcusable that Apple's products have fallen so far behind that even goddamn Microsoft looks innovative next to them. Angry because I really hate Windows but increasingly he hardware that does what I need to pay my bills is running it.

Seriously Apple, get your shit together.
    what rubbish. if those claims were true you'd be using windows. macs are without a doubt finer computers and i would never want to be a windows household. 
  • Reply 185 of 198
    It is overpriced, but is a nice add to buying options. If Apple does not stop ignoring the Mac I will be forced into a Windows 10 Pro Workstation- not by choice. The trashcan is not an option nor is any iMac.
  • Reply 186 of 198
    It is overpriced, but is a nice add to buying options. If Apple does not stop ignoring the Mac I will be forced into a Windows 10 Pro Workstation- not by choice. The trashcan is not an option nor is any iMac.
    I get a lot "Mac" guys are angry regarding current state of the Mac lineup but to really understand where Apple is going, this video is as true today, as it was 5 years ago:

• Reply 187 of 198
    bsenka said:
    As an Apple-only user since before there even was a Macintosh, the Surface Studio makes me angry. Angry because this is exactly the product that Apple should have made at least 6 years ago. Angry because it's inexcusable that Apple's products have fallen so far behind that even goddamn Microsoft looks innovative next to them. Angry because I really hate Windows but increasingly he hardware that does what I need to pay my bills is running it.

Let's see if your anger can be calmed down a bit: Apple never releases a niche product. It always targets mass market. Apple has never released a product for "creative professionals" and it will never will. Creative professionals prefer Mac because it is the best, not because Apple produces Macs for them, Apple produces for everyone. Is there any car produced especially for creative pros? Just like that... So adjust your expectations according to that very basic trait of Apple philosophy. Studio in contrast is niche by definition, they declared a targeted audience at the beginning. Select studios will buy it for PR purposes, other creative pros tied to Windows will buy it, enthousiastic fathers will buy it for their kids whom in turn will reject it because of the mistake of the father who ignored the high-end one with 4GB GPU... and that's it. It will have no significant effect on Apple's market share and Microsoft has no such intention.
    edited October 2016 canukstorm
  • Reply 188 of 198
    bsenka said:

Let's see if your anger can be calmed down a bit: Apple never releases a niche product. It always targets mass market. Apple has never released a product for "creative professionals" and it will never will. Creative professionals prefer Mac because it is the best, not because Apple produces Macs for them, Apple produces for everyone. Is there any car produced especially for creative pros? Just like that... So adjust your expectations according to that very basic trait of Apple philosophy. Studio in contrast is niche by definition, they declared a targeted audience at the beginning. Select studios will buy it for PR purposes, other creative pros tied to Windows will buy it, enthousiastic fathers will buy it for their kids whom in turn will reject it because of the mistake of the father who ignored the high-end one with 4GB GPU... and that's it. It will have no significant effect on Apple's market share and Microsoft has no such intention.
    Well said.
  • Reply 189 of 198
    Note the woman supporting the display with her left hand as she draws with her right hand. In short, it's structurally weak. A true light table is supporting from edge to edge. It's the reason an iPad Pro is such a beautiful drawing tool: it's solid from edge to edge.

This is someone taking the humungous Surface Table and making a pseudo drafting light table display that folds up towards an ordinary iMac clone.

As usual, Microsoft spreads itself across too many domains resulting in a compromised solution.

Actually, what you see is the woman resting her arm on the display, not supporting it. This is a common posture when you're leaning over it. In another interview, Panos asked the interviewer to lean on the screen. The interviewer was scared to do this, so Panos demo'd how the screen is designed to be leaned on, just like a real drafting table. The bottom line is that this device is structurally strong.
    singularity
  • Reply 191 of 198
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Apple has never released a product for "creative professionals" and it will never will. Creative professionals prefer Mac because it is the best, not because Apple produces Macs for them
    Obviously you are REALLY new to Apple if you think that is even remotely true.
  • Reply 192 of 198
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    bsenka said:

what rubbish. if those claims were true you'd be using windows. macs are without a doubt finer computers and i would never want to be a windows household. 
    Many well-known digital artists (most of whom greatly prefer Macs) have begrudgingly started using Windows. They still hate that Windows OS, but the hardware is drawing them over.

I don't know if I'm quite ready to make that switch yet, but I'm more tempted with every underwhelming Mac product that is followed by a Win product that is EXACTLY the hardware that I need. At minimum, I'm going to hold off long enough to see if anyone successfully gets MacOS running on the Surface Studio. 
  • Reply 193 of 198
    Microsoft has the better technology hands down but Apple has the sales and promotional "A" team!  Apple been sell substandard technology for years and still comes up on top of everyone with the biggest profit margins of any Fortune 500 company by a factor of 4 X!  There is nothing new here, Microsoft and Samsung always are second fiddles!
  • Reply 194 of 198
    bsenka said:

That's incorrect. The Mac was the first Apple computer aimed specifically at creatives and since then, GarageBand, Logic Pro, Final Cut, the Pencil and more have been aimed squarely at creatives and people working in creative fields.
  • Reply 195 of 198
    I love apple always have have all the gear and had all the gear over the years 
    but all I hear is that they repeat the same story that they are excited about products in their pipeline and they have a strong interest in .... 
    microsoft have just shown us the  most amazing system with other intergrated ideas 
    Apple gives us what ? An unaffordable laptop with low specs a phone that finally has water resistance and a dual camera , sorry not enough to make me upgrade not even the best camera chips where's Sony gone .? 
    Apple has stood by and watched as others have taken their slow released ideas and flown with their own now there  is little to wow us mere mortals with even the Apple TV still can't use Siri in New Zealand yet all this time after its launch . A sadly disappointed Mac user owner . 
    Such a large company but feel like they have lost their way . 
  • Reply 196 of 198
    The Surface books  are awesome. But the price is very high !!  :(  It's double price than the MacBook
  • Reply 197 of 198
    SaberOneSaberOne Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I see several comments comparing the Surface Studio with the Wacom Cintiq. Funny, I didn't know the Wacom Cintiq ran Windows or was available with a 28-inch display. Anyway, I watched the Studio advertisement the day before the Apple event, and I was impressed. Even so, I ordered the MacBook Pro 15-inch fully loaded for the same price as the Studio - fully loaded. In hindsight, I wish I had chosen the Surface Studio. At the time, the only thing holding me back on the Studio was the lack of SSD. Comparatively speaking, Microsoft could have offered a 1TB SSD, and I would have still have paid the 4,200 price. If the Surface Studio turns out being a success in terms of quality and reliability, then I fully expect an SSD variant to follow.

As for the Steve Jobs clip regarding the post-PC era, I do agree, but just like he suggested, at some point, it could be some time before it happens. Even the newest iPad doesn't perform well enough to support the demands of modern software of today. With the advancement of augmented/artificial intelligence, the requirements for processing power becomes more taxing. Just try using the full version of 'Dragon for the Mac version 6', and you'll see what I mean. Combine that with the future of contextual meaning of words and sentences and the states become even higher. Now, if standard Internet bandwidth reaches 1TB up-and-down, then all could be changed.
    edited November 2016