Apple suggests that it has permanently exited the stand-alone monitor business

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

paxman said:
    mac_128 said:
    This is really unfortunate. That LG monitor has none of the design style that the current Apple displays have. I wouldn't want it sitting on my desk. Looks like iMacs for me.
    Which is key - most desktop Macs are iMacs. Why would you get anything else? The MacPro users out there wouldn't be buying an Apple monitor anyway and the MacMini users neither, unless it was super cheap. I have to admit that my ageing 24" Apple branded screen looks great and was, and still is, a good monitor that looks good plugged into an Apple laptop, but I paid way too much for it. My bet is that someone will bring out a monitor that to some degree takes on the Thunderbolt display looks and charge a little extra for it.
    "The MacPro users out there wouldn't be buying an Apple monitor anyway" ???   .... Where did you hear that?  This Mac Pro user (I've had every one ever made) has always had Apple Monitors, 30" cinema displays and now 27" versions.  
    edited October 2016 iqatedodysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 82
    loquitur said:
    Hopefully, the next iMac with TB3 can allow Target Display Mode again.
    I've never owned an iMac only MBPs, MBAs, Mac minis and Mac Pros, so I didn't know iMacs didn't have Target mode, when did this happen? 
    That was a prett short lived feature. Only a couple of revisions was that true. Not in the beginning or the last few versions. Never made sense to me not to have that feature but Apple seemed to loathe it. 
  • Reply 23 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

crowley said:
    rune66 said:
    Appears to be a matte og semi matte display. Finally we got rid of these stupid mirror screens  :p
    Wow, that takes me back!  It's been years since I've heard a matte vs glossy display argument ;)
    That's true LOL.  I suspect it has been relegated to join the "I wouldn't buy a Mac without a Floppy drive, CD drive, DVD drive and an iPad without USB and external storage etc.' pile.  I could have gone on much longer but I doubt many here know what ADB or SCSI etc. are ;)
  • Reply 24 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Jeffree said:
    I've been an Apple guy since 1984 when i bought the original 128k mac. But I recently im beginning to feel the love wearing off as I see less exciting innovation at a snails pace. Not offering a standalone display and leaving a giant hole in the ecosystem that only a 3rd party can fill does not seem like Apple at all, even if its not a profitable venture. The aesthetic and visual quality is a critical part of the ecosystem and LG will not get it right. I hope this rumor is wrong.
    Yeah, so what’s the alternative? Windows 10? Really? If the love is wearing off then I guess you’re stuck. Moving to PC hardware and Windows would be like having an affair with Hillary Clinton.
    macpluspluspscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 82
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    paxman said:
    mac_128 said:
    This is really unfortunate. That LG monitor has none of the design style that the current Apple displays have. I wouldn't want it sitting on my desk. Looks like iMacs for me.
    Which is key - most desktop Macs are iMacs. Why would you get anything else? The MacPro users out there wouldn't be buying an Apple monitor anyway and the MacMini users neither, unless it was super cheap. I have to admit that my ageing 24" Apple branded screen looks great and was, and still is, a good monitor that looks good plugged into an Apple laptop, but I paid way too much for it. My bet is that someone will bring out a monitor that to some degree takes on the Thunderbolt display looks and charge a little extra for it.
    I'm thinking I might even buy an iMac just to use a Thunderbolt monitor with my MacBook. Will need to see what Apple does with the next iMac upgrade first. I assume it will get USB-C TB3 ports as well.
  • Reply 26 of 82
    If Nilay Patel said it, there is every reason in the world to doubt it.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    Jeffree said:
    I've been an Apple guy since 1984 when i bought the original 128k mac. But I recently im beginning to feel the love wearing off as I see less exciting innovation at a snails pace. Not offering a standalone display and leaving a giant hole in the ecosystem that only a 3rd party can fill does not seem like Apple at all, even if its not a profitable venture. The aesthetic and visual quality is a critical part of the ecosystem and LG will not get it right. I hope this rumor is wrong.
    It's not a rumor. Someone at Apple told Nilay Patel from the Verge at this event.
    ireland
  • Reply 28 of 82
    My prediction, and this is based on nothing other then my own opinion, is that the Mac Pro and stand-along monitors will be assimilated into the iMac product line. I think the next wave of iMacs will range from entry-level (what Apple considers entry level for their product line) at a $999 price point, to high-end "Pro" systems with specs in the neighborhood of the Mac Pro, and with a high end display.

So the Mac Pro and stand-along displays will disappear, but 2-3 more configurations will be added to the iMac product line. Mabe one extra entry-level configuration in the 21.5" size and two new "Pro" configurations in the 27" size. Just my two cents based on what Apple has been doing with their product lines over the past few years.
    ireland
  • Reply 29 of 82
    larz2112 said:
    My prediction, and this is based on nothing other then my own opinion, is that the Mac Pro and stand-along monitors will be assimilated into the iMac product line. I think the next wave of iMacs will range from entry-level (what Apple considers entry level for their product line) at a $999 price point, to high-end "Pro" systems with specs in the neighborhood of the Mac Pro, and with a high end display.

So the Mac Pro and stand-along displays will disappear, but 2-3 more configurations will be added to the iMac product line. Mabe one extra entry-level configuration in the 21.5" size and two new "Pro" configurations in the 27" size. Just my two cents based on what Apple has been doing with their product lines over the past few years.
    So the new Mac Pro, the one that Phil Schiller used the "can't innovate my ass" line on is dead after only one generation?
    edited October 2016 dysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 82
    larz2112 said:

So the new Mac Pro, the one that Phil Schiller used the "can't innovate my ass" line on is dead after only one generation?
    Like I said, it's just me guess, but yes, that's what I think, and here is why. 1) The new cylindrical design of the Mac Pro pretty much limited the amount of internal upgrading that can be done, i.e., additional drives, graphic cards, etc.  So from an expandability standpoint, the the Mac Pro and iMac have become much more similar. 2) I have no idea what the revenue numbers are for the MacPro, but based on what little love Apple has given to the product line, I'm assuming they aren't that impressive. So rather than manufacture and support two completely different product designs, chassis, components, etc., cut your losses and merge the Mac Pro capabilities into a couple of new, high-end iMac configurations. From a supply chain standpoint, it makes sense to consolidate your desktop offerings considering the fact that revenues have been significantly shifting away from desktops to mobile computers, tablets, smart phones, etc.

Again, just a guess on my part.
    irelandall day breakfast
  • Reply 31 of 82
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lkrupp said:
    Jeffree said:
    Yeah, so what’s the alternative? Windows 10? Really? If the love is wearing off then I guess you’re stuck. Moving to PC hardware and Windows would be like having an affair with Hillary Clinton.
    Or  worse, having an affair with you, honey.
    baconstangai46pscooter63sedicivalvolehmmdysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 82
    I'm not too disappointed actually.  This monitor fills the gap very well, more up to date, has a built in video camera and is much cheaper.  I think this is a win win.
    designr
  • Reply 33 of 82
    larz2112 said:

Seriously. Laptop parts in a "pro" machine? That would be a nightmare. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Apple will always be in the display business, but I'm glad that they may be saying "No" to a standalone monitor. They are not adding any value to that market right now, and one less product to focus on means that they have more resources for their primary products. That's good.

I am not happy with any "plastic" monitor that I've seen in person, no matter how nice the screen itself. Apple's monitors have always given me a more "solid" feel, so I hope that third-party vendors can deliver that, with Apple's guidance. Monitor do not need to be lightweight... make them heavy and solid!
    edited October 2016 macplusplus
  • Reply 35 of 82
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    ...I didn't know iMacs didn't have Target mode, when did this happen? 
    The 27" 5K iMacs have not had it ever because the tech didn't exist.  The 21.5" never allowed it.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    larz2112 said:

iMac Pro? Not a bad prediction. I've wanted Apple to go this way for a few years. And with Thun 3 you can add on extra kit anyway. I wouldn't bet on it. But I'd like if it were true, personally.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 37 of 82
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    karmadave said:
    Apple can't sell enough monitors to make a decent business with them. That's because Apple monitors are only designed to work with Apple products. Better they should work with several monitor manufactures to support the features of their new Macs such as USB-C/3.1/Thunderbolt. Focus, focus, focus!
    Just because the previous Apple monitor was designed to work only with Apple computers, does not mean they have to continue that trend. Their routers, phones, beats headphones, and Apple TV are not exclusive to Mac users. 

A company any with as much cash as Apple does not have a focus issue. They sell an ecosystem of things that just work together. If they only make consumer laptops and iPhones, then it is not an ecosystem anymore. 
    sedicivalvoledysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That's too bad, but such is life.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Jeffree said:
    With everything they've been doing you claim that innovation is at a snail's pace because they aren't branding their logo on an LG display panel with their own aluminium frame? 
    pscooter63dysamoria
  • Reply 40 of 82

son3 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    And apparently the Mac Pro business.
    I anxiously await iMac upgrades and:
    Touchbar keyboards withcalculator 
    That would be nice to see but there definitely some technical and security issues that are not present with the MBP's keyboard with the Touch Bar.